• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help asap!!!

newbirds

Meeting neighbors
was walking in my front yard when i saw a pigeon and it was under my plant trying to shield itself from the heat (it was 40 degrees Celsius) anyways when i walked past it was unresponsive normally they fly away but i thought it looked injured or something so i put it in one of my spare cages and put it inside with food and water but its just sitting there and breathing from her mouth and not eating. what should i do

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Firstly, ensure the bird is no where near, not even same room, as your own birds. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after interacting with any of the birds.

Are there any wildlife places around you that take sick or injured animals? What area are you located in?

How long has the bird been in your possession? Was it under a window? Sometimes birds collide with windows and get stunned or injured.

newbirds

Meeting neighbors
its not in the same room as my birds and i interacted using a glove and no there aren't any wildlife places nearby. the bird has been with me for abt 40 min now. nope its not under a window

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's likely terrified, could have heat stroke. Breathing from the mouth could be scared or hot or combination of both. It very likely won't eat due to being afraid. If its been awhile and it's had a chance to cool off, and it has no visible injuries, then I'd return it where you found it with a bowl of water and see if it recovers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I lifted a pigeon last year or the year before from the street in the evening. I took it home, checked for injuries (there were none) and left it in a box on my balcony overnight with water and food out there. In the morning it was still there but slept most of the morning, it ate drank and eventually flew away.
If you have no other options I'd suggest something similar; creating a refuge for it to be safe in, and leaving food and water next to it.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
When researching on what to do if there are power outages and home gets too hot or cold, I found out that if your bird has a heat stroke, you can dip them in lukewarm water to cool them off.