• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Any horse people out there!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ahh, found it! Just called HealthyCoat, haha. This worked wonders! Also, we use this in the spring on all of our horses when they are shedding out their coats and it always puts a nice shine on them and keeps them looking happy and healthy :)

Healthy Coat for Horses | Horse Health USA

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Ahh, found it! Just called HealthyCoat, haha. This worked wonders! Also, we use this in the spring on all of our horses when they are shedding out their coats and it always puts a nice shine on them and keeps them looking happy and healthy :)

Healthy Coat for Horses | Horse Health USA
I noticed in his maine yesterday it was soooo flaky... dry. I will look into that & also alphalfa(sp) cubes also ! Also will be getting some better grain. like the vet suggested. Thank you!!!:hug8:

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
Re: Chester's update

I went to go feed Chester today & he Whinnied (sp) and was walking alot faster.He has not done that in 3 whole days.He didn't look so lathargic. :dance4::heart: So I went to the store and talked to a horse person that was very smart about horses , who has helped me out b4 I got the pellet food , and weight gain powder that I had used b4 also it helps with skin and coat. NOW I looked at him and thought hmmmm , His tummy looked fuller! Chester had more spunk well more than 3 days ago any ways:dancing:Just wanted to let you all know! And a BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU :heart::heart: I'm so glad I posted on here u all made it alot easier! YAHOOOOOOOOO!:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:TO ALL!!!!!:heart::heart::heart:

VeraGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cami
GOOD!

To answer your question about cubes...

Randy my TB is a really hard keeper and loses weight like crazy in the winter. So each day I fill a big bucket (like a 5 gallon) and fill it half way with Alfalfa cubes... I then spray hot water over it (it makes it easier for the horse to eat- sometimes they can get caught in their throat... just as a precaution) and then I put a table spoon of corn oil on top.

Also make a schedule! print it out and post it on his stall or in the feed room (or both if you really want to get the message across) so that whoever is feeding knows what to give him. If you are feeding supplements I put them in re-usable glad containers (they have really small ones) I have 31 of them and I pre-measure out the amount of powder (or pellets) for one day. So in the end I have one for each day of the month and so if I'm not there- its easy for someone else to do it.

VeraGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cami
Signs of Colic...

lying down more than usual
getting up and lying down repeatedly
standing stretched out
standing frequently as if to urinate
turning the head towards the flank
repeatedly curling the upper lip
pawing the ground
kicking at the abdomen
rolling

Prevention of Colic

allow as much turnout as possible
maintain a regular feeding schedule
ensure constant access to clean water
provide at least 60% of digestible energy from forage
do not feed excessive digestible energy
do not feed moldy hay or grain
feed hay and water before grain
provide access to forage for as much of the day as possible
do not over graze pastures
do not feed or water horses before they have cooled out
maintain a consistent exercise regime
make all changes in diet, exercise level and management slowly
control intestinal parasites and assess efficiency periodically.

You will know if your horse Colics... just make sure to always cool down and walk your horse... and one of the other issues is making sure you have consistant exercise.

good luck!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Signs of Colic...

lying down more than usual
getting up and lying down repeatedly
standing stretched out
standing frequently as if to urinate
turning the head towards the flank
repeatedly curling the upper lip
pawing the ground
kicking at the abdomen
rolling

Prevention of Colic

allow as much turnout as possible
maintain a regular feeding schedule
ensure constant access to clean water
provide at least 60% of digestible energy from forage
do not feed excessive digestible energy
do not feed moldy hay or grain
feed hay and water before grain
provide access to forage for as much of the day as possible
do not over graze pastures
do not feed or water horses before they have cooled out
maintain a consistent exercise regime
make all changes in diet, exercise level and management slowly
control intestinal parasites and assess efficiency periodically.

You will know if your horse Colics... just make sure to always cool down and walk your horse... and one of the other issues is making sure you have consistant exercise.

good luck!
Great info on the colic Cami!
When our mare was colicking (same one that we almost lost this last summer) she was laying down and getting up, when she would stand she would cock her back foot and shift her weight constantly, you could tell she was in pain and discomfort. She occasionally would kick at her abdomen. It was very distinctly different behavior and posture from her usual, so we called our vet out immediately.

Sounds like Chester is doing great! I'm so happy! Just keep him on a steady regime of good food and TLC, and you'll have your big happy horse back in no time :D

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
glad to see he is doing better :) Totally agree with everything your vet said. As far as dental, we do our horses teeth yearly, sometimes 6 months for the ones that need more maintenance. Hope in another few weeks you'll see a big improvement :)

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
GOOD!

To answer your question about cubes...

Randy my TB is a really hard keeper and loses weight like crazy in the winter. So each day I fill a big bucket (like a 5 gallon) and fill it half way with Alfalfa cubes... I then spray hot water over it (it makes it easier for the horse to eat- sometimes they can get caught in their throat... just as a precaution) and then I put a table spoon of corn oil on top.

Also make a schedule! print it out and post it on his stall or in the feed room (or both if you really want to get the message across) so that whoever is feeding knows what to give him. If you are feeding supplements I put them in re-usable glad containers (they have really small ones) I have 31 of them and I pre-measure out the amount of powder (or pellets) for one day. So in the end I have one for each day of the month and so if I'm not there- its easy for someone else to do it.
Thanks for the info on colic. Going to print that out as well to hang up! Do you think I need to give alfalfa with the better stuff I got yesterday???? I have already posted a list on what I WANT FED TO HIM! But I think I am going to be doing the feedings from here on out unless the weather stops me ,I'll ride a snomobile out if I have too!!!!!:dance4: The feed I got is called Stock & Stable 12% Horse Pellet (WB) It's by Nutrena. I'm just happy that he is finally showing some improvement :dance4:

VeraGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cami
Natalie,

My first experience with a horse colic was last spring. Snickers (a friends horse) had been on a consistent exercise and training regimen. But her owner got injured so sincker's exercise just stopped cold- because Tara couldn't ride. So one day at the barn we were going through all the horses that hadn't been ridden and My trainer told me to get on snicks and take her for a trail ride. after we went we were cooling out in the arena and she all of a sudden just went to lay down! I was still in the saddle- so as she was going down I luckily jumped out and got my feet out of the stirrups just in time. She went to roll and I had to do everything in my power so that she wouldn't roll on my trainers Amerigo ($$$$$$) saddle. I thought she was just being a brat but it turned out that after we got her up and the saddle off she went down again in the grass. I won't lie I was really terrified- but my trainer and her husband were great. Everything about horses is experience :)

VeraGrace

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cami
No, see what happens with the stuff you got- if that doesn't bulk him up then i'd try cubes. i'm sure that he will do fine on that since you said he never had any other problem!

jake&kiwi'smom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pam
glad to see he is doing better :) Totally agree with everything your vet said. As far as dental, we do our horses teeth yearly, sometimes 6 months for the ones that need more maintenance. Hope in another few weeks you'll see a big improvement :)
Yes I do too. I will be calling her in a few weeks anyways to get blood work ect. done , unless something happens b4 then.

Status
Not open for further replies.