• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help after boarding my Macaw

SimonsMom

Moving in
I am new to here so if I’m posting this in the wrong place , I apologize in advance.
I have a BG macaw , I think he is about 17
We left him at the pet store for boarding while we were on vacation, and every since we got home he has not been acting normal, seems to be very stressed out, in the cage or even on his Java tree ?
This is my first time leaving him since we got him , in January.
I am not sure what to do, or even if this is normal, but it’s very upsetting for us to see him like this.
He is not our Old Simon any more.
Can someone please give me some advice

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Depending on your bird's background -all the years you didn't have him, something may have triggered a feeling of insecurity. Try some TLC and extra attention and special treats for awhile. This may bring him out of his mood. Patience - it will take patience, understanding and kindness.

If you mean that he seems physically uncomfortable then get him to the vet right away. There are many diseases that he could have contracted while being boarded. That is why I always board with my vet.

SimonsMom

Moving in
No he doesn’t seem physically hurt or anything.
He is just rubbing his beak on the bars of his cage when he is in the cage, and he’s not talking or acting like he did before boarding, however you might be onto something because I believe the people we got him from were just leaving him in his cage all the time , and I think he may have been left in his cage for the whole time we were gone because they told me he was very cage territorial, the first thing I got back.
I have been very patient with him , and I am waiting on a call back from his vet today.
He does seem to be angry at me and not so much my spouse, maybe because I was the one who left him, and I am his Flock.
Thanks for your time and help.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry you're going through this. I fear the very same thing, which is why I've been hesitant to board my grey anywhere.

I don't have any sage advice; sorry. How long was he boarded?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@SimonsMom When I used to go on diving trips and would board my male GW macaw with my vet (two of the techs whom he loved) Hank would be enraged at me when I came to pick him up. He would bounce up and down and threaten me and if given a chance try to remove one of my appendages. It would take and hour or so of apologies and sweet talking before he would even be somewhat civil.

They do not forgive easily and get every ounce of advantage they can out of an affront.

SimonsMom

Moving in
He was @ the boarders for 10 days.
Just wondering how long this may go on it has been 4 days now and last night was the first time we saw him do anything Normal like playing with us and getting excited, but he still tells me I love you and goodnight when he goes to bed so hopefully he will be back to Normal soon.
I am new to the whole bird Family as he is my first but we’re just concerned that he might be Mad at us

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
My personal rule of thumb is to give any animal (and often the humans too, lol) the same amount of time you were away to get back to "normal". If he was boarded for 10 days, he gets 10 days to readjust before you reassess Of course, if there are obvious signs there's something wrong before then, off to the vet you go.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw I'm sorry to hear that. My guys only take a day or less to bounce back when they've been boarding but to be fair I work there so I was always the one taking care of them so its not quite the same. I'd give him a few days to readjust to being home,it can be so stressful on them even at the best place since Parrot are such a sensitive species as a whole and being away from their flock and safety can make them anxious for awhile. I hope your guy will be back to himself soon :hug8:

SimonsMom

Moving in
I really do Thank everyone for the comments, I think we will give him through the weekend to see if that does anything before we take him to the vet , because he got stressed out about going to the vet so I’m not trying to upset him all over again. We just want our buddy to be happy and back to Normal,if there’s a Normal with a parrot he is normally not a moody grumpy parrot and he has been since bringing him back home.

SimonsMom

Moving in
Also can anyone let me know what would be signs to be concerned about, throughout the weekend?
He is eating and drinking normal ,just doesn’t really want to play with his toys or not talking much. Just not really being happy Normal Simon

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is acting abnormal. That is all you need to be concerned and keep your eye on him. If you are not seeing improvement with every passing day get him in to see the vet.

Sometimes you just have to be the bad guy to do the right things.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I really do Thank everyone for the comments, I think we will give him through the weekend to see if that does anything before we take him to the vet , because he got stressed out about going to the vet so I’m not trying to upset him all over again. We just want our buddy to be happy and back to Normal,if there’s a Normal with a parrot he is normally not a moody grumpy parrot and he has been since bringing him back home.

Now I only have a cockatiel but I have traveled a lot and there are things I do to make it less stressful. I bring Bailey's favorite toys and food for him and before I started boarding him, I took him to the boarders to meet them and get used to them. Then when I pick him up, he is mad at me but I always have a specific treat ready for him and I give it to him when he is on his cage. With another bird, I used to get a new toy every time I came home. But macaws are different. A lot of boarding places are noisy and it may have been a shock to your bird. I would see if he will he will take a treat or new toy. Something to show him that he is special.

SimonsMom

Moving in
Ok I will try all suggestions
Thanks so much for all of the advice.
Still don’t know if I am doing this right or not , about replying on this page

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Poor baby. I have zero experience with this as we have a pet sitter come in. They stay caged the entire time but it's in their own home which I think is easier on them.
I agree, pet sitters are wonderful! When we go on vacations we have a morning sitting and an evening sitting. The evening sitter would let my birds out of their cage for an hour while we were gone. He would just sit at the desk and read a book while they got some exercise outside of the cage. And he didn't push to interact with them, though my cockatiel wanted to hang out with the sitter.