• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

help:16 yr old lovebird

brooklyne

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
brooklyn evans
Hi community. i have a 16 year old lovebird who is in relatively good health. i keep my birds on a healthy enriching diet, but from former neglectful care, banana has been left fearful, flightless (no winds clipped), and with an overgrown beak. i’m posting in regards to finding opinions on what the best route would be for keeping her comfortable in her older years. i fear the vet trip would simply stop her heart, yet i’m also afraid that if i decide not to do anything that this beak issue will effect her mobility, hygiene, and relationship with her mate. should i seek a beak trim? 9463DBD8-E121-4BB7-A676-E2E745AF8A4B.jpeg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Can you get a closer picture of her beak?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would also ask for a closer look at the beak. From here it doesn't look terribly overgrown to the point I would stress about having it tended to, but I'm not sure if you're seeing something not shown here!

brooklyne

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
brooklyn evans
thank you all for your opinions/recommendations! i’ll be investing into my own personal file for her.
and for those asking, i’ll attempt to get a better photo of her beak. i’ve upgraded her set of independent grooming tools. (filing perches, beak wearing toys and stones). and from the looks of it, she’s seeming to make *some* progress on her own.
*also, her beak growth is lopsided. if i was to let it grow freely, (which i won’t) it would be completely crooked. is this due to potential organ problems?

thank you!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From this side she definitely looks like she needs a trim done. :) Some pet shops or vets may be able to get you in touch with a mobile groomer.