• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Helloooo...

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Hi,
I'm glowe and I'm new here. I just squirted a beautiful little peachface lovebird that I've been told is six weeks old. I've only had him the days (including today) but he wants nothing to do with me. I know it takes time but I've been doing a lot of research online and there are so many mixed messages out there. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do to help my new baby begin to trust me? I mean he sqawks and runs to the other side of the cage even when I'm changing his food and water???
Thanks in advance

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Try just spending time sitting with him and talking to him. Even reading to him so he gets used to your presence in a nonthreatening way. If he's super scared, you can try covering his cage on three sides leaving the front open so he doesn't have to be on "alert" fro danger from all three sides, until he gets more comfortable in your home. Just try to follow his lead and take things slow.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Welcome to AA...........to start with just sit next to the cage and talk to him in a gentle, relaxing, positive and cheerful voice. Do this as often as you have time for, also, mine like it when I read to them. You can leave the door open (if your living space has been bird proofed) and just let him venture out when he is ready. Don't reach into his cage and try to catch him of make him step up. This process can take weeks or even months depending on your bird. Just take your time and don't pressure your bird to be more tame, your bird will begin to trust you over time.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Sunnysmom & nu2birds, I really appreciate the advice though unfortunately I have already reached into his cage to get him due to other onlinerstressing how important it is for me to begin handling him as well as getting him out of the cage...smh needless to say i won't do that anymore. I have been sitting near his cage, with the door open, speaking to him. He's flown out on his own today how do i get him back in for bedtime if he doesn't go in on his own? I suppose...catch him?
Anyway thank you guys for the advice. I feel more comfortable note taking my time with him. I hope you guys will be around if I have any further questions because I'm sure il have some.

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Ok, maybe I could use a bit more advice... I have only had Gogo for five days. I am trying to get him to eat pellets along with his seed. The breeder told me he ate cockatiel seed and that's it. So I am incorporating some pellets bUT hes not ea ting them. Also I started giving him some greens today. He won't take anything from me. He has absolutely no trust and I haven't made it any better by going into his cage to get him out when he didn't want me to. Was told I needed to do that. I now know better.
Anyway, the first photo is the cage I have for Gogo now and the second was the one given to me by the breeder. Is it large enough you think? Also I don't think he drinks enough water but I don't actually know what enough is?
The breeder said he was about six weeks old but ...I don't know... I think he may be a bit older. Anyway he is not use to ANY FOR os human touch and is the
Totally unsocialized. Anything else I can do besides sit by his cage and talk to him and refrain from grabbing him/ chasing him in his cage to get him out? Thanks in advance. Any information is soooo appreciated.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Just be patient. That is the key. Keep offering the pellets, sit near him, talk to him, offer him treats. Both cages have lift up/guillotine doors. You can zip tie the doors but you may want to consider a different cage that does not have lift up doors and that is larger. I am not a fan of lift up doors because birds can learn how to lift those up in order to get out of their cages and then the door might hit them on their way out. I don't have a lovebird so I can't give you the best advice regarding cage sizing.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Lydia & Glowe
THE .
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Iamwhoiam,
Thanks so much for the advice. I've been hearing that patience is best with him and I'm going to be very patient from now on. Thank you for the tip about the lift does on the birdcage. You are appreciated.

glowe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Birdman Dan,
Thanks so much. You are a wealth of information. I'm going to start perusing through all you have sent me right now.