• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello

jodee

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi All, I have a blue fronted amazon, had him (or her?) since I was 11 years old, I'm now 55. I saved his life and he picked me. In the early years his diet was lacking, uneducated as most long time bird owners are, there were a lot of mistakes made over the years. At one point when I was able to afford the vet and blood work etc. I found he has liver damage. When I finally decided to forgo the knee jerk tetracycline for every sniffle and hope he'd build immunity, he had an injury inside his beak that almost killed him and required injections of cipro. He recovered only to get a respiratory infection after a forest fire and smoke, again injections. There have been other fires and I took him to my brothers house that has better sealing windows. I run an air purifier in the room he's housed in. He does have breathing issues and I'm attempting to procure an oxygen concentrator so he can enjoy some therapy. After the injections his feathers on his chest didn't grown in, they're actually coming back now, after several years, I think it has to do with the tincures I've been adding to his water; danelion, pau d'arco and echinacea, he actually likes the drops when I add to his water he always comes for a fresh drink while I hold his dish for him. I'm going to add mullein leaf and milk thistle to the drops. Also he has been eating Harrisons, finally, after many years of on and off trying to get him to eat them. What I notice lately, he seems to strain when he poops, but in addition, he will stretch one leg backwards, not with the wing as usual, but just the leg and then he grasps, if that makes sense. Does anyone have any input?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Sorry I can't help. It's so cool that you've had this bird for 4+ decades!

@Clueless @Love My Zons

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret has been around since at least 1978. I rescued two amazons and lost MC to cancer over a year ago.

Secret has liver issues and is on a medication twice a day. I've never noticed just a leg stretch by Secret.

Have you had xrays?

I'll tag another amazon owner.

@melissasparrots

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

jodee

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanx for your welcomes! I've been lost in rabbit holes for a few days now. heh. I decided a long time ago, when I found the compromised liver information, that the treatments and vet appointments, when I drive two hours plus, one way for the vet, and $$$$ in bills, are only in an emergency situation. I try to keep him happy and for awhile I fed him whatever he liked... not good I know, but at the time I just wanted him happy, while waiting for the inevitable. Then he took to Harrisons and everything changed, diet wise. A good thing. So the past 5 or 6 years have been all about diet and adding beneficial holistic approaches. But, I do remember the diagnosis, and treatments seemed to me at the time, stressful on his compromised system. It's been about 20 years, I supposed he is advancing in the disease. :(
I'm going to add sprouts and some probiotics to help with his rumbling tummy. It's very frustrating getting him the oxygen concentrator....... I will persevere though. Just can't be soon enough and with shipping these days, I pray they are truthful when they say 3 to 10 days. After waiting a week for the prescription to be mailed, it's still not here, hopefully today. I think this will be the best I can do to ease his discomfort and offer his little body some relief, help on all fronts. Rufus (or Rucifer, as those around me like to call him) is, and will always be, my first born love.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Several here are familiar with oxygen for the feathered guys. @Macawnutz

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I can't offer any advice but if your bird has been around that long you must be doing something right. (owner of a 38 year old African Gray)