• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

jhurrellw

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jess
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to bird care and am looking to be a first time owner in a couple of months when I have moved into the house I'm currently doing up. My family had a cockatiel years ago but that's been my only experience with birds (and I was about 4 at the time!). At the moment I'm just researching and I'm learning a lot just by browsing this forum. At the moment I'm not 100% sure of what bird to get but I'm currently considering a kakariki (or something around that size or a bit smaller).

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome to the Avenue :)

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
Welcome to the Avenue! I hope you find information and get to chat with people on here! :):D;)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! :)

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for joining us. As a possible bird owner try and think what your expectations would be for the future and things that you would need to do before even having a bird such as research for avian vets located in a distance you would drive. Look at your budget, is there enough to support the many expenses, including medical, that come with a companion bird. Would noise or big time messes be an issue for you?

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
:hello1: and welcome to the Avenue!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

gabi.01

Sitting on the front steps
Welcome!
I own a kakariki, his name is Zuko and he's around 10 months old. I'm still very new to this site.
kakarikis love flying, so i absolutely would not clip their wings. They make a mess by throwing food everywhere, they scream a lot sometimes (mine does in the mornings anyway...) and they take up a lot of time, like all other parrots. is it worth it? absolutely.
They need space to fly, and a lot of time outside their cage. they don't like cuddles much, they prefer to run around the room and climb around. they're really fun to have around. I would say if you aren't going to be at home much to get a pair, i have one but i spend most of my time at home at the moment and i let him out whenever i'm at home on regular days and he's fine , so it depends on your lifestyle really. they need lots of toys and a big cage, and a varied diet. they love baths. do some research on what parrot suits your lifestyle and schedule best, and check out where your nearby avian vet is, take some notes. Parrots live a long time, some up to 50+ years, (kakarikis live 10-15 years), so they are a lifelong commitment. You can adopt one from a shelter if there's one near you. You need to spend a lot of time with your parrot, talking to it, playing with it, teaching it tricks. Mine spends a lot of time in my room, it's where his cage is, so even if i'm doing something i can talk to him or read something to him if i'm studying. so yeah. there's a lot else to know, but that's a summary of my experience. It's definetly worth it to have a parrot, and again, welcome.