• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Sunny1745

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I'm Sunny! I've been wanting a bird for a long time so, I made a presentation to show my parents the reasons why budgies are great and how to take care of them. After reading one page they shut me down and immediately sai I can't get a bird. They're really intimidating so I had to build up the courage to ask them. I feel like it was a waste of time because they shut me down so quickly, I'm really sensitive so I did start crying of nervousness and embarrassment. They tried to comfort me but like I said they're intimidating. I still really want a bird but I don't want to ask again. If you guys have any tips please tell me. Thanks! ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I really think you’d be best to wait till your old enough to pay for everything yourself and you don’t need to ask permission.
We see this exact type of post here frequently, quite often we also see posts where parents refuse to take birds to the vet when it is clear it is needed then the poor young person gets to stress and worry and watch their bird die of something that they know could have been fixed if the parents would just pay for them to go the vet.
It’s a heartbreaking situation to read about so imagine it must be very life changing devastating experience for the young people involved not to mention sad and cruel for the innocent bird.

My suggestion is to look around for somewhere to volunteer that has birds, that way you learn all about keeping and caring for them and get to interact with them but don’t have the issues with finances and family members refusing to make drastic life changes to accomodate a bird in the house. There are many things you can no longer use in your home once you have a bird in it. Most people don’t like the changes they need to make or don’t care and end up killing the bird with Teflon or cleaning chemicals etc.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As was said, things often don't go well when a minor wants a bird and the parents don't. A bird is really a family pet because it requires everyone in the house to make life style changes. No Teflon pans, no burning candles, no smoking in the house, no air fresheners, etc. If everyone isn't willing to do this, it puts the bird in serious risk. Not to mention, if the bird needs to go the vet. Often people don't understand that birds need to go to the vet just like any other pet does- including just wellness check ups. I think unfortunately, if your parents are opposed, you need to wait. But volunteering somewhere as @Shezbug suggested is a great idea. Also, maybe you could look into being a pet sitter and help others take care of their birds.

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
When a small bird gets sick the price is usually more than 300 dollars.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
In general with any interactive social pet unless the whole family agrees, then its not fair to the animal to bring it into the house. The whole family need to adjust to the pet, and also be willing to make space in the family for it, one person igoring it sending wrong signals to the animal, not being interested and maybe even irritated is unfair on the animal.

Also any animal if you are to take care of it properly cost a lot of money, anyone who say differently isnt really giving the animal optimal soroundings. There is no such thing as cheap pets, containers and cages in most stores are just that containers, they do not hold the size, or quality of enviroment for the animals that they need be it fishes, birds, rodents, or so on. So if your parents doesnt want an animal then wait.

Also realize how long an animal with good care lives, think about where you will be in some years, will you be able to take the animal with you and have the economy to take care of it?

I am all for kids growing up with animals, but the animal is the adults responsibility, and they are the ones responsible for teaching the kids how to interact, not the other way around.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue. :)
volunteering somewhere as @Shezbug suggested is a great idea. Also, maybe you could look into being a pet sitter and help others take care of their birds.
...very good ideas...;)

Sunny1745

Checking out the neighborhood
I really think you’d be best to wait till your old enough to pay for everything yourself and you don’t need to ask permission.
We see this exact type of post here frequently, quite often we also see posts where parents refuse to take birds to the vet when it is clear it is needed then the poor young person gets to stress and worry and watch their bird die of something that they know could have been fixed if the parents would just pay for them to go the vet.
It’s a heartbreaking situation to read about so imagine it must be very life changing devastating experience for the young people involved not to mention sad and cruel for the innocent bird.

My suggestion is to look around for somewhere to volunteer that has birds, that way you learn all about keeping and caring for them and get to interact with them but don’t have the issues with finances and family members refusing to make drastic life changes to accomodate a bird in the house. There are many things you can no longer use in your home once you have a bird in it. Most people don’t like the changes they need to make or don’t care and end up killing the bird with Teflon or cleaning chemicals etc.
Thank you so much! I'll look for bird sanctuaries near me. I'm planning on getting a bird when I'm able to move out <3

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Thank you so much! I'll look for bird sanctuaries near me. I'm planning on getting a bird when I'm able to move out <3
That’s awesome! You should stick around :heart: . You don’t have to have a bird to enjoy Avian Avenue and you will probably pick up lots of useful information for the future on the way!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Sunny :starshower1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Welcome! I never realized how lucky I am to have a dad who loves birds.
At least you have extra time to read up! It'll be worth it I promise! From one kid to another, stick around!

Reactions: Ali