• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello

Pepa

Moving in
Real Name
Laurie A Palomino
Thank you for accepting me
I have questions and am looking for insight
I care for my in-laws older parrot he is very old
What is the proper diet for him
Right now it’s “parrot food” that’s store bought and an occasional cracker, peanuts and sunflower seeds
I know that there is more he should eat but I’m not sure what
Also he is mean, and has plucked most of his feathers. He looks like a drumstick with wings. I hope this isn’t to much. Thank you so much in advance

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum? What kind of parrot is he?

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
:welcometrain: you're in the right place.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello::welave:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:
What kind of bird is he?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Pepa! :starshower1:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Maybe you can tell from the pics
Looks like you have a blue crown conure. Beautiful species! Now the question is, was this bird a sole bird by itself?

Sometimes other cage mates do the plucking. As for the cage, were there toys on there? Showers and attention and a diet overhaul with fresh veggies and some fruits can help. Also trying a fortified pellet diet is also very beneficial.

Not very often we see the Blue Crowns. @webchirp @Monica

Pepa

Moving in
Real Name
Laurie A Palomino
Welcome to the forum? What kind of parrot is he?
Hi and welcome. :hello1:can you provide a picture of their bird? I am sure many here can get you and this bird back on the right track to better diet and health.
Looks like you have a blue crown conure. Beautiful species! Now the question is, was this bird a sole bird by itself?

Sometimes other cage mates do the plucking. As for the cage, were there toys on there? Showers and attention and a diet overhaul with fresh veggies and some fruits can help. Also trying a fortified pellet diet is also very beneficial.

Not very often we see the Blue Crowns. @webchirp @Monica
he is alone now he lost his cage mate about 12 to 13 years ago
What fruit and veggies would be best?
I will look for pellets, what do I need to watch out for in that respect
Am able to just switch feed or merge old with new
Thank you

Attachments

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
What is the current food you feed now?

If you don't feed pellets now, transitioning to them yes, you can mix them in. A natural, non colored is preferred. Zupreem natural conure size should be an easy one to find and try. Lafeber makes the seed clusters that are called pellet berries and they contain pellets.

Pepa

Moving in
Real Name
Laurie A Palomino
He is eating a seed mix now with colored bits and peanuts, sunflower seeds.
it says Parrot food

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would start trying to add vegetables- some leafy greens, zucchini, squash, peppers etc. It can take awhile. You don't want to take away the food he's eating but work on transitioning. Nutriberries may be good to try. They are seeds and pellets mixed. Does he have any toys?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Definitely a blue crown! He looks like he could use some extensive care though. I'd personally recommend a cage overhaul... as in new cage, new perches, possibly some new toys - depending on what he has now. Blood work to check his health and make sure he's well. If he really is an older bird, then you have to worry about things such as organ failure....

In regards to diet though.... he's not likely to eat pellets right away if he's not accustomed to them.... but you could always either start out with sprouted seeds and seeing if he'll eat those or pick up some dye-free pellets, crush/blend into a fine powder, mix with some of the food he's eating (maybe 50/50) then add enough water to make a thick paste. Even if he doesn't eat the pellet stuff at first, he would at least be trying it as he goes for the seeds, which may make transitioning to the dry pellets easier. For more info about switching and foods to feed, check out these two threads.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome the first thing I take away is the peanuts is they are no good for birds I will also have seen avian vet to rule out physical causes of the plucking

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my he is an elderly man. At this stage, he is not going to become feathered. But I would focus on better foods for him and an xray as well at the vets. They can see arthritis points in it. I would be very surprised at his age and diet, if he didn't have arthritis somewhere. Senior nutriberries have extra things for the older birds. I'd recommend those for certain. Unfortunately, it might take awhile before he converts. Tropical nutriberries seem to be a good starting point with those I have had. Welcome and thank you for taking care of him.

Pepa

Moving in
Real Name
Laurie A Palomino
Definitely a blue crown! He looks like he could use some extensive care though. I'd personally recommend a cage overhaul... as in new cage, new perches, possibly some new toys - depending on what he has now. Blood work to check his health and make sure he's well. If he really is an older bird, then you have to worry about things such as organ failure....

In regards to diet though.... he's not likely to eat pellets right away if he's not accustomed to them.... but you could always either start out with sprouted seeds and seeing if he'll eat those or pick up some dye-free pellets, crush/blend into a fine powder, mix with some of the food he's eating (maybe 50/50) then add enough water to make a thick paste. Even if he doesn't eat the pellet stuff at first, he would at least be trying it as he goes for the seeds, which may make transitioning to the dry pellets easier. For more info about switching and foods to feed, check out these two threads.