• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

NiceLady

Moving in
Real Name
Mary
I just joined after doing a web search on why my budgie is chewing the bars on the cage. Lots of good information from other bird owners. I have two parakeets, Bossy Pants and Jitterbug, whom I rescued from a very bad situation. So bad that I had to separate them as Bossy Pants was beating the snot out of Jitterbug (the reasons for their names). It's been two months since I brought them to my home. They both have brand new cages (you don't want to know what they were living in before). There is about 8 or 9 inches of space between the cages. Jitterbug still runs down her perch away from Bossy Pants is she(?) starts sqauking like the apartment is on fire. At least now she knows she can eat her food and drink water and take a nap without being attacked. I have learned if I talk and/or sing or both to them as I clean their cages, that keeps them from flapping wildly around. They will even stand on the perch I can trying to remove to clean it a look at me as if to say "this is mine." LOL!

Just recently, if I only extend one finger, both will let me stroke their tail feathers. The other Saturday evening, both were particularly relaxed and were independently entertaining me: Jitterbug was doing "head stands" in the corner of her cage while Bossy Pants scared the heck out of me by doing a "slow death slide" tail first down the back of her (?) cage, clunking on the bottom grate and not moving. Just when I jumped up to check on her she jumps up, runs across the bottom, hops on a lower perch, RUNS up the ladder to the upper perch and chirps happily!

Neither one is much interested in any toys I have placed in their cages. Bossy Pants uses her swing like a hammock and sleeps on it. Jitterbug seems to have issues with her feet and will only interact with something that she can drag around the bottom of her cage. She can be rather acrobatic. And when the right music comes on, they will stop, listen and start "warbling" along! Thanks for reading. I will keep my next posts shorter. It is going to be nice to talk with other bird lovers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome aboard Mary.
Just when I jumped up to check on her she jumps up, runs across the bottom, hops on a lower perch, RUNS up the ladder to the upper perch and chirps happily!
Sounds like she's gonna become quite a character around here.
Great to meet you all.

:needpics:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:welave: Sounds like their lives have improved already!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet5: & :welcome: to AA. I hope you find all the answers here you were looking for. This is mine & Buddy's 2nd home, I hope you settle here too!

:hug9: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Welcome to the forum! :)

Many reasons why a bird might chew on bars... from boredom, to anger to fear. Jitterbug might be trying to figure out a way to get further away from Bossy Pants, too.

Have you tried feeding them food or treats by hand before they've eaten first thing in the morning?

NiceLady

Moving in
Real Name
Mary
Welcome to the forum! :)

Many reasons why a bird might chew on bars... from boredom, to anger to fear. Jitterbug might be trying to figure out a way to get further away from Bossy Pants, too.

Have you tried feeding them food or treats by hand before they've eaten first thing in the morning?
I have tried, but neither one will take anything. They are both at a point where I can s l o w l y extend one finger and stroke their tail feathers a couple of times. But that is all...for now. And I think Bossy Pants is bored and needs another bird to "talk with". Jitterbug will look at BP from her cage but unless she is in the mood or BP squeaks and/or squawks a certain way, she just looks at BP as if to say "Chill out already."

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If they are full of food, they will be less likely to be interested in treats. Something to keep in mind. :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Mary! BP and JB sound like great characters! Have you tried offering a sprig of millet spray. Because it is long, they don't have to get too close to your fingers.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!