• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Pionus or amazon

• Pionus

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Amazon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KirstyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Hello everyone! My name is Kirsty and I am definitely a bird lover. I have had smaller birds all my life, but recently my husband and I have decided to adopt a medium sized bird. We have put a deposit down on an adorable dusky pionus, but I am feeling torn between him and a super sweet Amazon. I am excited to be joining a community of people that love birds! Any advice on my pionus or amazon dilemma would be so great! Thank you!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry I have no advice for you, Just wanted to say Hello :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Can you spend more time with the birds before you make your final decision? Which bird seems to be more interested in you? What type of Amazon?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

KirstyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Thank you! So the amazon is a red- lored. The amazon is definitely more interested in people it seems. I went into it wanting a pionus but the amazon does seem to have more of a curiosity and interest in us. My sister is debating on getting him though. The pionus is a male and he is ten months old. He definitely needs some socializing and patience, but I am up for it. I do feel like I want the pionus, but I’m going to go and interact with the birds more this week and decide. I guess it also depends on whether my sister makes the decision to buy the amazon. I just wanted to see if anyone on here has one of each and could offer their thoughts. I’m reading on both of the threads for pionus and amazons. I do feel like the pionus is the bird for me, but I like doing lots of reasearch and any I put would be helpful and appreciated. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Welcome! @iamwhoiam has a great point about seeing which bird is more interested in you. Also, are the birds babies or adults? If they're both adults, then that could help make your decision easier as what you see is more of what you get with adult birds that are past puberty. Baby birds are typically very sweet and cuddly, but many don't stay that way, and their personalities tend to change when they go through puberty. If they're both babies then you won't really know what their personalities will be until they've reached maturity. I wish you the best with your decision.

Edit: I posted this right as you posted. Is the Amazon a baby too? I grew up with a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon, but don't have any experience with a Pionus. :)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Are these the threads you're referring to?: this thread that gives you an idea of what to expect if you decide to bring an Amazon Parrot into your home. This is the other thread like it, only for Pionus Parrots here.

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The bird will find you and you will know you have found your heart bird. :heart:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can tell you if noise is an issue for where you live you may want the pinious. Zons can be very loud.

I wait for pieces of my ceiling to fall down when Buddy gets in the mood & starts honking. Other days I think, he will explode & feathers will flutter to the ground. He gets very temperamental when I leave the room, I'm hoping to get it resolved before the summer & the windows are open. Like I said if noise is an issue you may want to lean the other way.

I agree with @greys4u you should let the birds choose you & you will not guess you'll just know deep in your heart.

:gbh: Rain

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue, Kirsty! :meet:

I have a maximillian pionus and he's just awesome. :D A bit headstrong and particular, and definitely a bona fide drama queen, but I can't imagine life without him.

I'm going to have to disagree with some of the above comments regarding the bird choosing you... that means little to nothing when the bird in question is a baby. If the pionus is the species you think is the best fit, then my advice would be to stick with it.

Unless the amazon is an adult, in which case my vote changes. When an adult bird chooses you, then that means something. :p

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! I agree that spending more time with them before making a decision would be ideal. Sometimes it's better to wait (albeit hard to do) until the right bird chooses you, as some have also pointed out. Best of luck and keep us posted!

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm going to have to disagree with some of the above comments regarding the bird choosing you... that means little to nothing when the bird in question is a baby. If the pionus is the species you think is the best fit, then my advice would be to stick with it.
I just assumed that @iamwhoiam meant an adult bird, and they very well may have meant an adult. @Feather is correct on this though. I would never suggest letting a baby bird "choose you." Well socialized baby birds will go to and seemingly love everyone for the most part. :)

KirstyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
Thank you everyone for your input! I was told that they are both around 10 months old. The store they are both is really cool because they do a small amount of breeding only to bring funds in to support their rescue efforts. They do have lots of older birds as well and some have very sad stories, but wow! Many of them seem to be making steps to overcoming their horrible and traumatic pasts. Their is a max Pi there that is three that we wanted to adopt, but he belongs to the owner. He came from a bad situation. So the dusky pionus is 10 months old and I was talking to him a lot and he was responding and curiously listening to me. He wasn’t out of his cage, but the Amazon was. They are next to eachother. The dusky pi has a brother in their with him. I am leaning more towards the pi. I’m pretty sure my sister is getting the amazon. He was really interested in my sister so I’m thinking he chose her. You all have been so helpful! I’m so excited to be posting about my new buddy in the coming weeks!

KirstyBird

Moving in
Real Name
Kirsty
They are both beautiful, but I do think the amazon had more of a chance to interact with us because he was out. He will be joining our family as well because my sister is going to get him! She has been texting me photos of cages and toys. So let’s cross our fingers she goes for it!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road