• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!

Verra

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Вера
The Corvus albicollis (White-necked Raven) is not native to my country either. I live in the USA. But, there are a few people/breeders who captive breed this species to sell them as a "pets".
That`s nice! I searched in google - they are really expensive) And I found a strange name - Hybrid Corvid. What is it? I failed to find a photo)
And don`t you know, are there anybody, breeding blue jays? They are so glorious)
If it would be easier for you to write your posts in your native language that would be fine with me. I am ignorant to your native language and I am sorry :( . If I can not figure it out linguistically, I am sure Google translate can :D .
I study English in university, but I`m lazy student)) Don`t worry, it`ll be useful for me to practice language)
The picture's of Loki and Torin when they where younger are just adorable :) . Of course, they are both great looking now :D . People in the USA, at least for the most part, are not too fond of there native Corvids either. However, I :heart: :heart: :heart: our Corvus brachyrhynchos (North American Crow) and Corvus corax (Common Raven)!

Again, congratulations on Loki and Torin.
Thank you :xflove: I like all our native corvids too)) I have many friends, who own Corvus corax, these birds are fantastic! :heart:
And I`m crazy about Corvus corone corone (not cornix). They look like little ravens)) We have them in Russia, but they live very far from Moscow) I have never seen them in nature)
I started a thread here: Loki and Torin | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
That`s nice! I searched in google - they are really expensive)
Yes, everything, in my humble opinion is very very expensive in the USA. But, if you think those type of birds are expensive, keep in mind many Psittaciformes (Parrots) can easily cost over $3,500 US.

And I found a strange name - Hybrid Corvid. What is it?
I am NOT terribly sure what a hybrid Corvid is, so please forgive me :( . But a hybrid Raven is a cross between two different species. Most commonly a Corvus albicollis (White-necked Raven) crossed with Corvus ruficollis (Brown-necked Raven). Another common one is a Corvus albus (Pied Crow) crossed with Corvus ruficollis (Brown-necked Raven). Both create a solid black hybrid.

I failed to find a photo)
Here is a basic Google search: a hybrid Raven - Google Search . If that is not helpful, I will go and look for more soon.

And don`t you know, are there anybody, breeding blue jays? They are so glorious)
No, I am very sorry I can not help you there :( .

I study English in university, but I`m lazy student)) Don`t worry, it`ll be useful for me to practice language)
While I doubt you are a lazy student, I am glad it will help you practice your English :) .

Thank you :xflove: I like all our native corvids too)) I have many friends, who own Corvus corax, these birds are fantastic! :heart:
I am glad that I am not the only one who loves Corvus corax :) . I agree they are fantastic birds :heart: !

And I`m crazy about Corvus corone corone (not cornix).
It is funny and or ironic that you mention them. I can never differentiate Corvus corone (Carrion Crow) verse Corvus brachyrhynchos (Nortb American Crow). I have been told they are both in my area of the USA. Can you tell me the difference?

They look like little ravens)) We have them in Russia, but they live very far from Moscow) I have never seen them in nature)
Thank you for that information. Is the main difference between Corvus corone (Carrion Crow) and a Corvus brachyrhynchos (Nortb American Crow) size? If I am wrong, I am sorry for the inappropriate assumption :bag: .

I am going to read it now and I am sure comment :D ! Thank you, so much for posting that :) !!!!

Verra

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Вера
Yes, everything, in my humble opinion is very very expensive in the USA. But, if you think those type of birds are expensive, keep in mind many Psittaciformes (Parrots) can easily cost over $3,500 US.
May be, you`ll be surprised, but in our country parrots cost cheaper, than corvids in your :wacky:

It is funny and or ironic that you mention them. I can never differentiate Corvus corone (Carrion Crow) verse Corvus brachyrhynchos (Nortb American Crow). I have been told they are both in my area of the USA. Can you tell me the difference?
Thank you for that information. Is the main difference between Corvus corone (Carrion Crow) and a Corvus brachyrhynchos (Nortb American Crow) size? If I am wrong, I am sorry for the inappropriate assumption :bag: .
Well, the only difference, I clearly see, is that they are from different countries :D
And their size is particulary the same :) But these are different species, it`s true)

Penny

Moving in
Hii! It's a bit too late but I just wanted to say I LOVE your birds, they're so pretty! :xflove:

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Welcome to the Avenue!

Verra

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Вера
Hi, friends!
I haven't been here for 6 years. I began to write on this forum, but I gave it up. During this time a lot has happened. Loki got to be 9 years old, and apart from him I got many new birds of which maybe I'll tell you later.
The thing is that we have opened rehabilitation centre for wild birds and we're treating feathered which got in trouble and help them to return to the wild for several years. Our rehabilitation centre is called 'Crow's nest' and is located in Moscow. We help not only to crows; songbirds, owls, hawks and many others come to us. I can show you photos of some of our patients, if you're interested. I can't promise that I'll come here often because we have too much work, although it is winter now and the number of patients is less than in summer, durin the season of nestlings.
I would be happy to find like-minded people and those who helps wild birds too.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome back! :starshower1:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Welcome back! I’m excited to hear more about your rehabilitation center!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How wonderful that you have established a rescue and rehabilitation center for wild birds.

I have a mixture of American Crows and Ravens who come to my yard and feed everyday in the winter. There are about 20 - 30 of them. They become very demanding and CAW at me early, early in the morning for their breakfast. I really love them. They have become old friends and bring their babies in every spring.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome back :hiya:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome back

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome back! I would be very much interested in hearing more about your rehab center!! I would love to someday work with helping wild animals; it's a passion of mine. Pictures are wonderful too, if you have time :)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Image00004_20190106012754320.jpg
Welcome back!! It's awesome that you now have a Rehab center for wild birds!! :heart:

Verra

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Вера
I`m very glad that you are interested in our work!
I’ll tell you a little about our rehabilitation center. In general, as in many countries and everywhere in Russia, animal rehabilitation centers are not supported by the government and exist thanks to volunteers and sponsors. Therefore, our possibilities are not unlimited, but we try to do what we can. For example, with the help of crowdfunding, we built a special hospital, where we keep birds that require treatment.
Стационар.jpg Стационар2.jpg
To our luck a very experienced veterinarian-ornithologist helps us in the treatment. Thanks to her we sometimes save very sick and heavy injured birds. We also work with a good surgeon. We often deal with broken bird's wings. These birds can't fly, but our surgeon can help them. Sometimes he makes real miracles. :) For example, Lolo the hawk, who came to us with a gunshot wound, was operated on the same day and after a long period of rehabilitation returned to the sky. I apologize - the video is in Russian, but the essence should be clear.
Veterinarians work with us for a small price, but feeding, cleaning and medical care is our business. Those birds who can`t be released immediately after treatment, as well as young birds raised by humans, we first prepare for life in nature in special aviaries outside the city. Among our birds there are very different species. A lot of songbirds, especially in summer, many injured raptors in autumn and spring, and corvids, sometimes waterfowl in winter. In 2019 we received near 350 call from people who found needing help birds. Near 140 of them we saved and return to the Wild.
I don`t want to overload you with text (especially with my bad English). So, I will show you some of our patients. I`ll write their species in Latin for accuracy.

Different owls: Strix uralensis, Asio flammeus, young Strix aluco, Asio otus.
cpzypOaWOIQ.jpg 1uIxJVJE9AU.jpg
xhmK9Bl-yWg.jpg E0XuUimCH5Q.jpg

Raptors: Falco subbuteo, Falco tinnunculus
Тео и Орео.jpg

Buteo buteo and Accipiter gentilis
Рэмбо.jpg l-OnUW6Uj8E.jpg

Accipiter nisus (our veterinarian likes to joke sometimes)))
Перепелятница ракша.jpg

Here is Dryocopus martius checks if our volunteer tasty :D
gSbYMqwf7To.jpg

Crazy Cuculus canorus doesn`t want to see me))
_nk2KATIPPc.jpg

That's all for now, then I will show more photos)

Hankmacaw, it`s really cool!)) I`m fond of corvids))
Here is Loki and me this summer)
jbhsHj6qSk8.jpg bLD5Ly144sg.jpg

Verra

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Вера
That's amazing. You guys are angels giving these birds another chance at life!!!!
The pictures of you and Loki are lovely. I can see how close you two are bonded <3
Thank you!)

These are our birds. They became free, you can see special rings on their legs. There is an individual number on the every ring, so we will know, if one of these birds will get to a human.

_dmFtRMP69w.jpg lpDaCVm_jbw.jpg
l2rVal9XG9M.jpg eB_r2PNWAA4.jpg
8HXm5RHE2uM.jpg ZSoe5CTt3To.jpg
uQSFaVYUZzk.jpg nPetPMizgzM.jpg

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Wow! You all do amazing work! Your pictures are stunning :heart:

Verra

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Вера
A bit of the inside of a rehabilitation center.

All our birds receive veterinary care. Each bird is necessarily weighed.
G78m3LpXA4k.jpg JH8ARAgTGWU.jpg

Since birds have a complex respiratory system, stethoscopy is necessary. It helps us to understand if our patient has any infections.
yAxm5wEr8us.jpg Yph84Jb8gGE.jpg

If necessary, we do x-rays and additional analyzes.
7VD2lzFf_ds.jpg

Some birds need surgery. For example, osteosynthesis was done to this hawk.
U34SzgMfI7w.jpg BTtZQ6cqOJQ.jpg

Our veterinarian treat different injuries, including eye injuries.
SmkzQvmaqn8.jpg

If the bird is cured and can be released into nature, we will ring it ...
as9ttyL32Ek.jpg

and release.
WWmvxzU4gWg.jpg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
All I can say is wow