• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I live in Houston, TX and currently have a Senegal named Gus.

I've got lots of experience with different parrots (been bitten by everything from a cockatiel to a B&G :D).

Gus is a rehomed bird I got from a disabled older woman last July. Apparently she saw some tv show about behavioral issues in parrots and realized Gus was not in an ideal situation. She responded to a post I made on craigslist offering to adopt a bird. She told me up front that he chewed his tail feathers frequently and would pluck them out every couple months once he nibbled them down enough.

Gus was immediately friendly and talkative the moment I met him. He was not territorial about his cage, even to strangers, and he was very laid back. He was kept in a small cage in a dark kitchen. He only had some old metal bells for toys, nothing to chew on. He was fed a seed diet bought from the grocery store supplemented with a few veggies. The owner was on a fixed income and wanted to do better for him but couldn't afford it.

After I got him home I noticed stress bars on most of his feathers. He also had an area on his wings that he'd been chewing as well. I put him in a larger cage, switched him to a pellet diet and bought him lots of destructible toys. I keep him in our home office (this is the room we spend the most waking time in) on the second floor in front of a bay window that faces the front yard. He now also gets a shower at least once a week. He loves watching the squirrels, birds and people outside and I can hear him talking up a storm from the drive way whenever I get home from work. The original owner was the previous owner's son. So he's used to both men and women. My husband and I both hold him regularly. He's friendly to both of us but may favor me slightly.

He no longer plucks his tail feathers and I haven't caught him chewing on them since I got him. The chewed spots on his wings are almost completely filled in now with undamaged feathers.

I'm about to buy or make a nice bird stand to put in our game room so he can hang out with us when we're watching tv or a movie. Right now I normally have him sit on a towel over my leg (I have nice new couches!) when I watch a movie with him. I'm inspired by some of the setups you guys have and I think I'll try to make some hanging stands to put in my master bathroom.

Oh, and he was named after the character in Lonesome Dove.

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Welcome to you and Gus and thanks for getting him out of that less then ideal situation. It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.

You will love AA

WELCOME.:dancing:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Welcome to the Avenue!!

Gus sounds like a wonderful featherbaby!! would love to see pics of him :D

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to the Avenue.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:welcomesign:

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
HELLO and WELCOME!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am glad you joined :hug8:

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
Hello and Welcome to AA .... Can't wait to see pics of Gus

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to Avian Avenue :) Thanks for giving Gus a happy home! :highfive:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the Avenue! I look forward to hearing lots of stories about Gus. Have fun in the neighborhood. :D

Attachments

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'll try to get some good pics of him this weekend. I'm going to the Parrot Festival this weekend, hope to get him lots of goodies.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi there, and Welcome. You'll love it here, everyone is nice and friendly and goes out of their way to help each other. So glad you have Gus and that he is thriving in your home. He sounds like a wonderful Sennie. Can't wait to see pics. Have fun at the Parrot Festival this weekend.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Amaterasu

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I've finally gotten some decent pictures of him. I got him tons of new toys and a nice wood stand to use in our game room and bedroom. He's currently hanging out on it while my husband plays the PS3.

He hasn't molted yet so I'm hoping his feather condition will improve. I'm seriously considering switching from Zupreem to Harrison's to see if that would help. One shoulder he has allowed to grow back in and the other still has a little ways to go.

Attachments

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome;)

Status
Not open for further replies.