• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello World!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Hi there, I'm new on the forum!

I've had budgies ever since I was a kid, and after the passing of my best bud Cookie I decided to get a cockatiel for a change.

I looked for adoptions to no avail, so I finally opted for a breeder. When I met Charlie, it was love at first sight! He was born on september 13 of 2018 and I got him when he was 3 months and fully weaned a week ago. He has clipped wings but I'll probably let them grow out. Life with him is great!

IMG_6292.jpg IMG_6452.jpg

Only thing I'm a little stressed about is him being bored while I'm at school during the day. I'll definitely spend at least a few hours with him each day, as much as I can! I'm leaving for a week during the holidays though, and my mother will take care of him for me. She's not so keen on letting him spend a lot of time out of his cage but she told me she will let him out when she can. Thankfully, that is an exceptional situation.

I've been wondering if his cage is large enough, too: it is around 28 inches high, 22 inches long and 17 inches wide. He can flap him wings comfortably, at least. Perhaps I'll get him a flight cage one day when I will be able to and when he will be able to fly.

IMG_6372.jpg

I find it difficult to set up since it is vertical. I have changed the set up since this picture was taken, though, made his stuff more accessible since he's still a young one.

Do you guys have any cage set-up advice? Also how can I prevent my baby from getting bored while I'm away, and how can I make the time I spend with him more quality time? I am trying to train him a bit, but I feel he might still be a bit young.

Charlie is gnawing at my keyboard, so its time for me to go! Thank you guys! See you on the forums :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting Charlie. He's cute. Just be patient with him. Add some more ladders and natural wood perches. Since you posted that you made stuff more accessible did you lower the perches?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Thank you guys for the warm welcome! @iamwhoiam @Cynthia & Percy Don't worry, I'm staying patient with him :) I know training takes time. It's pretty much the first time I am seriously training a bird to do tricks and stuff, but I'm not giving up! The breeders potty training him and he is also super cuddly, I'm very happy about that :D I did not lower the big wooden perch since its stuck there, nor the highest rope one because he loves to be up high once in a while. I did add a naturel wood perch on his door and it helps him move up & down the cage "floors"! Also a nice hangout spot for when his door is open. I also changed the ladder's spot so he can go from the bottom of his cage to the big wooden dowel in case he falls down. Also got a boing and put it outside his cage for hanging out with his doors open. I am probably gonna get more ladders and wooden perches and switch them out once in a while, yeah :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are concerned about him falling then it's a good idea to pad the bottom of the cage with paper towels or non pilling fleece.
Also potty training is controversial because sometimes a bird will only want to poop in a certain spot or when a specific command is spoken and hold it too long That can cause issues.
Potty Training is dangerous | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome aboard. That coloration is amazing, what a beautiful bird!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@iamwhoiam I have considered padding the bottom of his cage, thankfully I don't see him falling anymore though. Still might just in case. Also I've heard potty training was bad but didn't look much into it until now. Thankfully he is not rigidly potty trained and will still go potty pretty much anywhere but if we put him on the floor and ask him to go potty he will most of the time. I don't ask him often though, I don't mind cleaning up and I don't want him to get cloacal prolaspse! :eek: Thank you for the link!

Last edited:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@Sylvester @Ripshod I didn't know his coloring was so rare haha, he is very pretty indeed! :) He is supposed to lose his pearls but he will always stay my little diva <3 He knows how pretty he is! He has a spot of white feathers on his neck, I find it super cute!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Such a pretty tiel. Give Charlie some shreddable toys in his cage to keep him busy while you are at school. Mine like balsa, palm strips, mahogany pod slices, leather, finger traps.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Charlie is beautiful.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Charlie! :)

He is so very handsome...really quite stunning, in fact.

Besides all the great ideas on different things to bring into Charlie's cage, my suggestion is to get some bells...our tiels love to ring the bells in their cage...just make sure they're made of material that birdie safe...;)

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@cassiesdad Thank you for the suggestion!! I only have one bell that is birdie safe and it's currently or his stand, might move it into his cage and get more if he likes it! For now he seems a lil scared of em but still curious! :)