• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello to ALL

Uccelle

Checking out the neighborhood
I am new to this forum and hope someone out there can shed some light to my question... I have a 17 year old wonderful male white faced cockateil, very healthy and happy until recently that started to behave strange. I got a 30 minutes video of his frantic behavior that resembled a panic attack of a human. Our avian vet who knows him since birth did a complete physical and gave him a "thumbs up bill or health". Nutrition wise he is as well perfect, eating organic pellets and one fruit treat daily for at least the last 12 years. Since there is nothing diagnoctic through the labs we are ruling out heart vs brain problem. Was told that unfortunately if is the heart there is not much we could do, if is the brain could be seizures caused by a TIA, stroke, tumor ...unlikely head trauma. Once he is out of these episodes that last about 30 minutes and happen day or night he is back to his happy self. He is sleeping more due to the barbitures we are giving him to see if the episodes stop since the brain can be the only treatable diagnosis. I have read some blogs and medical journals about tiels 'behaving strange', many of these after ruling out poisoning or organic causes tend to point to an 'emotional disorder'. Any thoughts?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry your bird is having these problems. You said you had a video? There isn't one posted.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. I hope you can find a cause for hid behaviors.

Uccelle

Hello Tiel Feathers.... thank you for your response. I did not post the video, is very sad. However our vet saw it and served to conclude that due to his age in spite of his great health could be either one of the two diagnosis: heart or brain. Need to clarify that before I could take a video our vet was as puzzled as me since my birdie appeared to have 'labs of a two year old'. After reading various journals and blogs mentioning the emotional/psychological aspect I want to also consider this alternative which will discuss with our vet tomorrow. Indeed all this started soon after we returned home after 5 days travelling to avoid hurricane Irma, he appeared to adjust very well to the car trip and hotel rooms. Once back home due to a stuck window shutter until today he had to spend time in a different spot exposed to a more opened environment facing a canal and ducks flying by. For what I have read these changes on his daily rutine could cause the apparent episodes of fright/panic attacks. Needless to say I am hopeful for this diagnosis that offers a better prognosis. Grateful for your concern...

Uccelle

Thank you Zoo Mama ... Certainly hope to soon find out the cause of this strange behavior.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor little guy! So are they like night fright attacks where he thrashes around in his cage (but in the day)? Hopefully now that he is back to his old spot and his regular routine he will start to feel better. Do you think covering three sides of his cage might help him? Keep us updated on his progress!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about the problems with your tiel. My senior tiel had a stroke when he was 19 and thereafter would have periodic "episodes" where he just didn't seem to know where he was, was confused, etc. My vet suggested making sure he was getting sufficient calcium and Vitamin B. I spoke with another woman who I consider a cockatiel "guru" and she also suggested eliminating Vitamin K from his diet (he ate a lot of broccoli) and also adding senior nutriberries to his diet as it has a lot of nutrients in it that are helpful to an older bird. Also does he get any outdoor sunlight? That can also be beneficial.

Uccelle

Truly appreciate your message and ideas Sunnysmom, very sorry to hear about your tiel. Our first thought was that he suffered a stroke but the episodes have evolved from confusion, temporary weakness and loss of muscle control to trashing his head against the cage. Unfortunately they seem signs of a progressive neurological desease. Nutrition wise my tiel is in good shape but will look for the Senior nutriberries, now he gets a daily treat of regular nutriberries after he has eaten his organic pellets. I had started to place him in the back screened patio a few hours a day before hurricane Irma hit and plan to resume this as soon as my screen is replaced since it blew away! This morning I spoke with our avian vet and he is going to see us this week, he appears to have consulted his case with collegues arround the country and says wishes to try something different. Realistically my birdie has had a great fun, healthy life, he has been a most wonderful companion and if it were for me would keep him forever. These last few weeks after he started to decline I have accepted he may never be again the same. I just want to provide all the opportunities to extend his life with quality and take care of him as he has cared for me all these years. Once over his 'episodes' that occur 2-3 times a day and last about an hour he returns to his normal happy self. Needless to say I am very sadden with the prospect of loosing my long time friend but we are ready to fight this as long as we can as far as he does not suffer. Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about your 'tiel. Please keep us updated. Sending positive thoughts your way for him.