• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello there!

Any suggestions on species for a first timer?

• cockatiel

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • budgie

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • parrotlet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LeecyB

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone! I'm a brand newby to this forum and forums in general. And birds!!! Looking forward to chatting and learning some new info. I owned a marooned bellied conure as a child but haven't had a bird in my care in a LONG time. Tomorrow ends this as I'm taking my baby girl to get her first/my new companion at our local bird fair. I'm really looking forward to this but feel I still have SOOOO many unanswered questions although I've been reading up as much as I can on several different species I feel somewhat more confident having a community to turn to. Happy to be here talk to you guys soon!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Welcome! Please ask any questions you have.

Have you thought about what cage your going to buy? Also, what food do you plan on feeding your bird? How much time do you have everyday to spend with your bird?
Remember, birds are a lot of work, and aren't actually very easy to care for, in fact IMO i think their one of the hardest to care for, out of all animals!

Welcome to the forum! I hope you like it here!
:greet13::hello1::meet:
:starshower::starshower:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum.

Try and figure out which bird you would like before going there and picking up a bird on a whim without knowing the species.

Is there a particular species you are leaning towards?
Do you have a cage already? Or will you be picking that up there too?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

LeecyB

Update every1!

SOoOoOo,
I was leaning more towards a cockatiel after all I had read up I decided this would be the best fit for our family and that's exactly what we took home! A two month old cockatiel it's so beautiful.
I think I have a big enough cage it's 1 on a stand done dome lid that opens at the top ,not exactly sure of the dimensions but I was assured it would house my new friend comfortably I purchased some food from the breeder a mix of seed some pellet corn nut ect..along with a few toys I think we good to go 20190406_180529.jpg

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!

LeecyB

ok so I'm not exactly sure the bird hasnt moved all night in its cage. it was in the same spot it was when I put it to bed and so were all of the droppings

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
ok so I'm not exactly sure the bird hasnt moved all night in its cage. it was in the same spot it was when I put it to bed and so were all of the droppings
Hi Leecy,

That's normal. Your bird is adjusting to her new cage. Everything is new right now. She may also not be used to climbing because she is so young, so perhaps try to keep everything close to the ground, or even putting out a plate of seed and millet spray for now on the floor of the cage if you see her down there to make sure she's eating. (They may not eat out of the new dishes at first, so it's trial and error.) Paper towel or newspaper lining might be less noisy for her to walk on. :)

Congrats on your new addition,
Amy

LeecyB

That's normal. Your bird is adjusting to her new cage.
Thanks! I actually spoke to the breeder this morning and she instructed me to use newspaper or paper towels as well. I just rearranged her cage as instructed by the breeder too for easier movement around the cage. Hope I'm not fooling with her too much as she has nipped me a few times today. I'm trying to take her away from her food for too long

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a cute cute baby @LeecyB - and welcome! :welcome:

If you read up on perches here on the forum, you will see that you need a variety of perches for their little feet to do well.
The dowel perches can be used with other ones as long as you have a variety - (natural wood, etc.) Can't wait to hear your updates!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your tiel! What are your cage's dimensions and bar spacing?