• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello there! Just adopted a macaw

Feathermint

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
Hi! My name is Brittany and since I was very young I have been raising birds. Not breeding them, never doing that, but I've always felt an empty space in my life whenever I can't clean out a bird cage, prepare birdy meals or listen and watch them squawk and carry on. I love interacting with parrots, letting them be birds, and having them as part of the family. My life pretty much revolves around my birds, and I suppose my dream in life is to eventually become financially stable enough to build my own aviary, or work for a bird rescue that has one.

Fast forward to today: I still care for and have an obsession with parrots. I've done extensive research on macaw species over the years and have interacted with a few macaws that were not mine because it's been a dream of mine to be a macaw mama. So I am well aware of the warnings that they are very emotionally demanding, perpetual 2 year olds that require a great deal of time and patience. Especially to adjust to a new home. Still, any information is good information to me as I have never actually owned a macaw before.

I am now in a position where I was finally able to rescue a sweet 5 year old blue and gold macaw. I did not make this decision lightly and it was discussed with the family before making the commitment to bringing her home. Now I know her sweet behavior may or will not last, and as expected as soon as she was brought home she does not want to interact directly with the family yet, but my family and I are 100% committed to giving this macaw the best care we can possibly manage and so far she's been responding well to our company despite not wanting to step up yet. :) We'll be making sure she gets plenty of time outside the cage anyway, and we've made sure the whole family understands that she is not a domestic creature and will require respect at all times. As we learn the ropes of having an actual macaw around, I hope we'll eventually learn to co-exist together to a point where she can be comfortable stepping on mine and/or my family's arm. Perhaps at some point I can take her outside on walks with me (with a harness of course, and if the outside doesn't scare her too much). So far she seems really happy when we talk and dance with her, play music for her or let her watch TV/Youtube videos with us. We don't push her to interact and if she gives a warning to back off we always respect this. She's been very good about giving warnings instead of biting and her previous owners said she usually only bites when scared.

I've read somewhere that joining a forum where people have raised macaws themselves is important because even though I have researched as much as I can about the species, nothing quite ever prepares anyone for being a first time macaw mama. I think it's going to be an adjustment period for both of us, but I love her so much already and I want to make sure I'm doing the right things with her best interests in mind, and my family as well.

My only problem so far is as soon as we brought her home I started feeling a lot of anxiety out of nowhere? I suppose it's a back of the mind worry that I hope this relationship works out in the long run and we will be this macaw's forever home. I am very patient, good at reading parrot body language, I'm home 24/7 and we have all the time in the world to take things slow and at our own pace. I've read it might be about a year or more of just hanging out with her before she warms up to us enough to do proper training. Right now though I just can't get this anxiety to go away no matter what (though it has only been one day of having her home as of this post). Did any of you feel this way when you first brought a macaw or other parrot home? I've heard of it happening with new dog owners and people who bring a baby home for the first time, but I can't find any information about people who felt anxiety after bringing a new parrot home.

wasabismom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Welcome! I cant be of much help because I only have 2 little birds but im sure you will find lots of helpful bird people here who can help and give lots of advice :) hope all goes well and congrats on your new arrival.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome, welcome!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I wonder if the anxiety you are calling it is rather the realization that you finally have a Macaw, a bird that you have wanted for a long time.

Embrace these feelings, allow them to turn into the joy as soon you will be enjoying a bond with your little one that will change your life.

Macaws are notorious for bluffing so rather than staying away, thinking that it is better to give her space, get a couple of toys such as a ball, offer it to her to play with and if she doesn't show any interest, sit there with your back turned towards her (Macaws don't like to be ignored, they want to be the center of attention) and wait for her to get curious can come to you while YOU play with that ball. I don't know what size cage she has, but if you sit on the floor if the door is lower to the floor, remember, with your back turned, you just might find her coming to you wanting to play also.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congratulations. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I think it's probably normal. I definitely felt anxiety with each addition to my flock. Being the caretaker of a parrot is a big responsibility. Congrats on your new friend and welcome to AA!

Feathermint

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
Thanks all! Yeah, day 2 is here now and the anxiety is starting to finally fade. I think Renee' is right, I just might be overexcited because this is a dream I thought would never happen.

Also Renee' I will definitely follow your tips about getting a few toys and playing with them near her. She has been responding to me sitting next to her cage and reading a book, or playing on my phone.

As for pics, I'm on a new computer so I'll have to hunt down photos of my other flock, but on my phone I do have pics of Abby's cage all set up. We also ordered brackets that recently came in the mail, so next time Abby is out of her cage I will be mounting a 2x4 across the lower middle part of her cage so she can chew on that when she wants. :D Also do let me know if there's anything I did wrong with setting up her cage. I only have cockatiel and conure experience to speak from so any tips will definitely help. She had absolutely no wood or toys when I first saw her, so she seemed very appreciative of the new things to chew on. She especially loves this pineapple wood thing in her cage, though I think the size of it is meant for an amazon and not a macaw lol.

She also has a java tree stand that I am waiting to come in the mail. :) Though in the mean time we have set up a pvc t-stand she likes to sit on that's going to eventually transition into a shower perch.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First, thank you for taking in this mature macaw. I, welcome to AA.

Your girl is beautiful and I'm sure your anxiety will fade fast. Just give her time - she has been uprooted from everything and everyone she has ever known. If you have a stand for her you can put it near the open door and let her chose when to come out. Find out what her favorite treat is and reward her with a treat and verbal support when she does come out.

She sounds like a wonderful Bird.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome. She is beautiful.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Most Macs seem to enjoy bells, and making noises. You need to check out the toys that Doris and Hubby make out of stainless steel. Yes, expensive, but they will last and hopefully she will enjoy them. I would recommend the Square Dance as if she is like other Macs, that will one she will be ringing all the time.

The company name is Avian Organics, the company is up in Canada so keep in mind the exchange rate will be less if you are here in the US. Where do you find this place you ask? Go to the main forum page and you will see banner names of advertiser's there or search for the Toys & Cages Bypass and there is a link there also.

Feathermint

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
Thankies! :D So far we have found getting Abby out of the cage is no problem at all (she comes out on her own), it's getting her IN the cage that can be a hassle haha. We sadly had to resort to toweling her the first night because it was getting super late and we didn't want to leave her by herself overnight.

The people at the spca said they were able to lure her inside with a peanut, but I'm wondering if she needs to settle in a bit before that will work? I also want to eventually wean her off peanuts because I've heard the shells can get moldy and make birds sick. :( She seems to view dried banana chips with the same value so I might switch her over to those.

Feathermint

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
Most Macs seem to enjoy bells, and making noises. You need to check out the toys that Doris and Hubby make out of stainless steel. Yes, expensive, but they will last and hopefully she will enjoy them. I would recommend the Square Dance as if she is like other Macs, that will one she will be ringing all the time.

The company name is Avian Organics, the company is up in Canada so keep in mind the exchange rate will be less if you are here in the US. Where do you find this place you ask? Go to the main forum page and you will see banner names of advertiser's there or search for the Toys & Cages Bypass and there is a link there also.
Thanks very much! I will definitely check them out. I was actually wondering where to find some toys to make out of stainless steel so this helps a ton. :)

Do you or anyone also have any recommendations for foraging toys? I was going to get her a puzzle toy at some point but I'm not sure which kind to buy.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You are right about the peanuts, go with almonds, walnuts, pistachios, pine nuts.

Stay away from the banana chips if they look like they are 'real' looking. Bananas will start turning brown while they are being dried if they have not been treated with sulpher which is NOT safe our babies. Same goes for those other dried fruits. If they look good enough to eat, they have been treated with that stuff.

Feathermint

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
Gotcha. I'll eat the banana chips then. I love those things.

We did pick up a package of pine nuts and she does like those too 'cause I was feeding them to her during the process of getting to know her while she was at the spca. Nice to know we can get her almonds and walnuts too because we have a shop up the road that always has almonds and walnuts in stock. Idk about pistachios since I've only ever seen the salted kind around here, but if I see any unsalted I'll try some of those too.

Feathermint

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brittany
Not sure if some of the ingredients were omitted from the banana chip bag, but just to be sure here's the ingredients I saw listed: organic bananas, organic coconut oil, organic evaporated cane juice. No sulfur was mentioned and the bag says the chips are certified organic. But they are meant for humans to eat. Would those still be unsafe to give?

Attachments