• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello, so I need a bit of information

Teeko_taco

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Johnny
So 3 weeks ago I got a 8 week old green cheeked (pineapple) conure, his name is teeko, and I also own a budgie who isn’t doing so great at the moment, but I’ve always played around with my budgie I’m a play fight way for the five years I’ve had her, and well because I would play fight with her a lot I guess I just thought teeko might enjoy play fighting to and i was so wrong with this and I think he took as if I was a threat, i mean I’ve never owned a conure so this is a very new experience from me, going from a small parakeet to a medium parrot is a very new experienc, but my main question is can I earn back my conures trust from me tackling him?

the reason I ask this question is because he seems to never want to come to me around people and if I go get him he will either think I’m going to fight him or he will stand on my finger but then he will leave, is this a sign that I might not be able to create any bond with him after my mistake? Because he is around 11 weeks old now.

side note: he still gives me small cuddles he thinks I’m his mate but he gives cuddles rarely and he doesn’t seem interested in me giving him strokes (he loves gettting pets and strokes from my mam) so he still will be around me but I think he thinks I’m a threat to him, so would I still have a chance earning his trust or will I not be able to now? Also he will let me hold him and let me give him attention but he doesn’t cuddle much if I wanted him to and he things me trying to pet him is a treat as he tries to fight my hand

Teeko_taco

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Johnny
I wouldnt think I’ve lost his bond but I just need to know if there is a way to let him know I’m not a threat to him and I want to be gentle and give him love

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yes, you can win back the trust.
Watch your mom's energy, it may be slower and more low keyed that he's more trusting of.
So you calm down. Move slower and more cautiously.
Ask, don't demand. Talk more, handle less for now. Bribery can also work well.
Teach small tricks with rewards (like turn around or wave).
Slow and patient wins the trust. Don't push, be gentle and understanding.

Last edited: