• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Hello! New to the Forum

Roemeida

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Lemke
Hello! My name isSara but I prefer to go by my username Roemeida (or Mei) online :) I have owned two budgies since 2012 and just this week got a loving silly Green Cheek!!

I've been bonding with her in the store and she had taken a liking to me since she's been there (all of the employees felt the same!). I just want to put in a bit about her and take in any suggestions and input!

After I had gotten her I took the first suggestion on food and brought them what turned out to be junk :(. (I had done HOURS of diet research). It was full of sunflower, and peanuts. Other seeds as well but the ratio was aweful. The other bit I had was I believe the colorful shaped zupreem.

I quickly switched her into a blend of Zupreems Natural and smart selects. Which luckily she's really taken to! She also gets the old foods, Nutri-berries, and millet as treats!

The other thing I have gotten her into is fresh fruits and veggies! She joins me in picking them out and it's helped her come to like them. So far I know she digs green beans, snap peas and spinach for the vegatables. She eats bits of others but those are her favorite. She loves mango as well and eats her other fruits.

Things I could use suggestions/opinions on are grains, treats, foods, how much (in tablespoons) fruits and veggies I should offer. She doesn't eat all of it but she's also just getting used to it and I'm experimenting with large variety/food sizes she likes. So I know she is getting more then she can eat.

More about her: she's very snugly! A little nippy from time to time, quiet, and silly. I haven't gotten her gender tested yet but for right now we are calling her a her. Princess Leia for now! She was born Feb 18th 2017 (4months). I got her from a pet supplies plus where they make sure all of he animals are loved, handled, and clean!

Her cage: So far I've got several toys and a few perches for her. She also has a small UVB. I hear a few hours a day is good for them! A large and Amal water bowl (she seems to like to take baths daily) as well as a few food bowls. she's also got a cuttlefish bone.

A singular question I have is that since the diet change her stool has been more formed and tubular, which from what I've seen can happen when changed to a pellet diet. Seems to be the only change though. Has this happened to anyone else? How long until her stool goes back to normal? IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0895.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. I have a macaw, but some of our many Green Cheek owners will be along soon.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Congrats on getting your conure. She's cute. What is her name? As regards the dropping it's normal for those to change with dietary changes. Just continue to monitor that and if you see anything you think is "off" take a photo and post it here or consult with a vet.
Also, you should consider replacing the dowels in the cage with natural wood perches. The natural wood ones are much better for their feet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
Congratulations on your new bird, she's so cute!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Roemeida

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Lemke
Thank you everyone! Iamwhoiam I have kept a record so far, I think they are already getting better. Also I am looking Stocu upgrading her perches! Those just came with the cage is all. I am also looking for a good topper!

Aside from that she's acting usual. Quite smitten with me as well! I've gotten lucky as she took to me just from the store visits. She lets me poke and pet her just about everywhere!

Looking to get her a harness as well if anyone has any favorites to share?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi! Funny that her name is Princess Leia :lol:I have a cheeky named Kylo! (Ren, but he responds better to just Kylo)
I'd suggest the Aviator harness, and get a color that isn't too scary to your bird. Green or blue, maybe? It's the safest harness available.
You'll find amazing toys from vendors here, and perches for Leia

Roemeida

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Lemke
IMG_0920.JPG Yes that's a brand I have looked to, I don't plan on flying her high and around (hawks and stuff not safe). I just want a way for her to visit stores or other places without getting to far :). Although she does enjoy her new green carrier!

I've gotten her a few things but mostly I'm spending time with her. She's got a T for her cage top (until I find a nice topper) as well as a second natural wood in our sunroom so she can look outside!

Another update is that we took her to a local, highly praised, 'bird store' to have her gender tests and nails trimmed. She was very good! Danced for the little babies she could see from the counter :)

We also took her to the store we got her from (needed crickets for one of our other fellas) and she danced and said hi to her old Keet buddies (who were equally happy to see her :) ).

I could use some advice on how to make aure she doesn't get too stressed when I go back to work. I do give her alone time in her cage and have left the house a few times as well. So far she seems cool about it.

Roemeida

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Lemke
Also Faolan I love to see that others have creative names as well!

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello! My name isSara but I prefer to go by my username Roemeida (or Mei) online :) I have owned two budgies since 2012 and just this week got a loving silly Green Cheek!!

I've been bonding with her in the store and she had taken a liking to me since she's been there (all of the employees felt the same!). I just want to put in a bit about her and take in any suggestions and input!

After I had gotten her I took the first suggestion on food and brought them what turned out to be junk :(. (I had done HOURS of diet research). It was full of sunflower, and peanuts. Other seeds as well but the ratio was aweful. The other bit I had was I believe the colorful shaped zupreem.

I quickly switched her into a blend of Zupreems Natural and smart selects. Which luckily she's really taken to! She also gets the old foods, Nutri-berries, and millet as treats!

The other thing I have gotten her into is fresh fruits and veggies! She joins me in picking them out and it's helped her come to like them. So far I know she digs green beans, snap peas and spinach for the vegatables. She eats bits of others but those are her favorite. She loves mango as well and eats her other fruits.

Things I could use suggestions/opinions on are grains, treats, foods, how much (in tablespoons) fruits and veggies I should offer. She doesn't eat all of it but she's also just getting used to it and I'm experimenting with large variety/food sizes she likes. So I know she is getting more then she can eat.

More about her: she's very snugly! A little nippy from time to time, quiet, and silly. I haven't gotten her gender tested yet but for right now we are calling her a her. Princess Leia for now! She was born Feb 18th 2017 (4months). I got her from a pet supplies plus where they make sure all of he animals are loved, handled, and clean!

Her cage: So far I've got several toys and a few perches for her. She also has a small UVB. I hear a few hours a day is good for them! A large and Amal water bowl (she seems to like to take baths daily) as well as a few food bowls. she's also got a cuttlefish bone.

A singular question I have is that since the diet change her stool has been more formed and tubular, which from what I've seen can happen when changed to a pellet diet. Seems to be the only change though. Has this happened to anyone else? How long until her stool goes back to normal? View attachment 252270 View attachment 252271

Welcome to AA!!!

Green cheeks are the birds that converted me to a bird nut :) I openly admit I'm a late bloomer. My daughter (riddick07 in this group), was always the bird person, I saw birds as noisey and messy (well still do but different). Took her years to convince me to bring a bird into the home and it was a cockatiel. Not that I disliked Rukia, but still was kinda like 'yeah, pretty, she's nice, but.....'. THEN the first green cheek came home and I fell in love with the amazing personality and interaction. Was hooked since then. Fast forward many years and ironically I find myself an Adoption Coordinator for a large parrot rescue and out of all birds, one I never had an interest in or wanted, I am the mom to a blue and gold macaw (he picked me...). Your little one is gorgeous! Absolutely love the green cheeks ;)

I know several people have posted and I apologize if I duplicate anything, I'm online tho my head is killing me, so not reading everything as much as I should, so again apologies for repeating things already discussed.

I saw the mention of perches being updated, so that is awesome news! Those dowel perches should not even be made anymore, no clue why they are still included with cages. Happy to know you've done your homework on perches and health of the feet.

I would add more toys too, conures are super busy active little ones. Lots of easy shred toys with things like paper, cardboard, foam toys, cork, palm or banana leaves kinda toys. You can keep her busy when you are not home by putting her favorite treat in tissue paper or coffee filters and twist or tie into a little bundle with a natural jute or twine. Great little foraging activities even the small guys love. I think there is a thread here that has videos of pinwheel toys I make for shelter birds, great examples of easy and fun toys that all birds love.

Has anyone posted about sprouts? Sprouts are easy and excellent way to get healthy foods into your girl. You can start with super easy sprouts that are also very inexpensive - plain tan lentils or garbanzo beans (chickpeas), you can find these at any grocery store or Walmart. Very very cheap and great to practice and learn what sprouting method works for you. They are also very very tasty and exceptionally healthy. We eat them too, I usually sprout multiple trays at a time and we will grab a handful to snack on.

One excellent way to get your girl to eat new foods is to have her eat with you. All birds are flock creatures and they love to eat with their flock - and you are that flock! I have a little bare eye cockatoo girl that never saw fresh foods before she arrived to us just around 3 years of age. Getting her to eat healthy was a huge challenge, but I found that she loved to steal food off our plates, so I would make her a pile of food that was safe for her and put it on the corner of my plate so she thought she was stealing food (guess it tastes better when its a grab and run). But share food with your bird and bring her to the table when you eat, if you have a small stand or if you are crazy like us, give her a plate on the table ;) To this day, when we eat dinner, all the feathered family members that are out with us also want to eat. I never sit down with something to eat without handing Max something or putting new food in his bowl on his stand.

As far as how much... You want to feed your conure 99% veggies and fruits are a treat or just the topper on the pile of foods. For example, if you chop up cucumbers, green peppers, carrot shreds or such, then on top, put a small chunk of apple. I tell adopters to look at what they are eating, so often you can share what you are having with your bird. If you steam veggies for dinner every night, after you steam them, pull out some for your bird before you add butter or salt (pepper is okay for your bird, but be careful with avoiding adding salt). Birds love steamed veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, peas, green beans and corn (tho not the best source of nutrition for any of us, but great to add in mix, birds love it). You can also share a chunk of baked potato, cooked squash and not many birds will turn away from a pile of mashed sweet potatoes (yams).

As far as shape of poop... you might want to post pics... What you are describing could actually be a healthy, normal poop. A normal dropping usually has a tubular kinda almost worm shape - a lot of times the pile looks like a green tiny pile of soft serve shape (think as soft serve comes out and you swirl it around to make the pile on a cone). So the tubular shape of the actual fecal matter might be just fine, then there should be liquid kinda around it and some white which is urates. I can't believe I actually don't have pics of poo, guess when I cleaned out my files I deleted some, but I had examples of healthy poops. Are you expecting to see more splat type of droppings? Sorry, crazy bird people, we talk crap!

Sorry I'm just babbling away, hope there is something useful in my ramblings!!

Roemeida

Moving in
Real Name
Sara Lemke
Yep that's about what her poops are. Also I have read about sprouts and I want to get those into her diet as well! Since my original post she's open to bedposts and now sees the fun in taking mine as well :) we have also been getting more toys as we go! Thanks for the reply! It's nice to read on others journeys!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
:welcomesign:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name