• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! New member and new first time bird owner!

Molo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maureen
Hello, I recently got a male Black Capped Conure, named Kiwi. He is my first bird ever so I have been doing a lot of reading online, including on this site, so I thought I would introduce myself! I got Kiwi from a parrot store and I really liked him because he is not nippy and let me and my kids pet him. He was quite scared at first and on a hunger strike the first day :wideyed:, but now he enjoys playing in his cage and eats plenty of food!

I'm still a little nervous because he is not as affectionate and snuggly as I had hoped, but we are slowly getting him to warm up. He steps up on my finger (usually) now and doesn't run away from me as much (this is actually progress!) I know it will take time, but I still love my little baby birdie. :shy:

I look forward to reading the forums and learning more about you all!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Some birds take longer than others to adjust to a new home. Just be patient with him. : )

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think I would back up, did he pick you, sounds like he did. Its normal to be scared, he just left the only home he's ever had. Be patient, it might take awhile, do you have him in quarantine?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum. Congrats on him and I wish you two many wonderful years together.

I agree with the others - just give him time and go slow. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson

Molo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maureen
I think I would back up, did he pick you, sounds like he did. Its normal to be scared, he just left the only home he's ever had. Be patient, it might take awhile, do you have him in quarantine?
Hmmm, he was in with a bunch of GCC that all just sat there on the perches, the lady at the shop said he is by far the most easy going and least nippy, so I picked him I guess. Does quarantined mean separated from other birds? I have no other birds, but I have two declawed cats but they are not allowed near him and are locked in another room when Kiwi is out of his cage.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:welcomesign:
&
:congrats5:

Molo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Maureen
Thank you everyone, I am giving him time now. I had the week off when I got him, and had to do a lot of rearranging of his cage which probably bothered him. I didn't realize that he had to learn how to climb around a cage with iron bars, he was in a big plex-glass pen for a cage, so i had to by a ladder and more perches, and rearrange toys so he could get around and to his food dishes easier. Then I took him to the Avian vet the next day, although the vet was very nice, I think the poor thing was stunned from all the activity! I'm sure he was in shock! We are back to a routine now and I mostly just talk to him and pet him in his cage. Once a day I open the cage door, let him hop out and we play with him on the floor. But when it's time for him to get back in, it's been a struggle. He's getting better now and stepping up :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Kiwi! Sounds like you're doing well with Kiwi and his transition to your home. :) Going to the AV for the first time is always hard, it seems. All I can say is keep up what you're doing...and Kiwi will set the pace!

Yes, when @greys4u was asking about quarantine, we didn't know if you had other birds in your family....since Kiwi is an only bird, you don't have to worry about a quarantine.

Hey, we need pics! ;)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's beautiful! Welcome to AA! As other have said, take things slowly, learn to read his queues and enjoy!
Please keep in mind that not every bird is cuddly.

Kim20013

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kimberly
:dance55:He's so beautiful! Congratulations!!

cyrex

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
mj
Welcome to the forum and congrats :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Your little boy is gorgeous! :D I'm glad to hear everything's been going easy for you guys and the transition!