• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello - new here - Long Story

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
A little late…

:welcomegroup:

justqltin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Pam
How IS Coney doing now?
I've been working with her. She's now in the big flight cage and guards it as fiercely as she did the smaller one! When she comes out she a sweetheart. "WHEN" I've yet to find a reliable way of convincing her to leave the cage regularly. She does love millet. Saturday she came out and spent most of the day with me in my sewing room. BUT then she decided to guard the play stand like her cage.... Sunday she wouldn't even come to the front door of her cage if it was open. I guess we just keep working at it.

Attachments

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
I lost two of three parrots to a gas leak years ago. It is so shocking and scary. I’m sorry for your loss.

P.s. I love the name “Buttercup” for a yellow bird. You could sing the Pirates of Penzance sing to her and she would think that’s her song!
I have a blue Quaker who is protective of his cage but a live away from it. Have you had her out yet?
I love the Blue's. I wish I could get one but I'm technically not allowed to have Coney in my home state. (Did not know this when we took her in.) So, I'm not letting her go but I won't knowingly get another one.... I may get a blue ringneck at some point tho.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I love the Blue's. I wish I could get one but I'm technically not allowed to have Coney in my home state. (Did not know this when we took her in.) So, I'm not letting her go but I won't knowingly get another one.... I may get a blue ringneck at some point tho.
I think these laws should be changed. But I caution you, as many states will euthanize the parrot if you are caught with it ...
Im not sure of you needed veterinarian care ..are veterinarian required to report?

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Each state is different how it deals with Quaker parakeets. Quaker parakeet society has an info page on their website.

with my ‘new’ Quaker, I’m not allowed in his cage. So I open his door and ask if he wants to come out. I shake the bribe jar. Usually he now comes to the door or top of the cage. I ask him to step up and when he complies I tell him he a good boy! And give him a treat.

the food treats will make Coney come out much faster.

my boy goes to bed early and won’t come out after 6 pm in winter. He is very sweet once out.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Put a perch on the outside of the Cage by the door. Reward her for going there, and have her step to you from there.

My quakers won't come out after sundown. They have a strong roosting instincts ( mine anyway) . They prefer to be in their cage sn hour before sunset. But many adjust to their parents routine.

Deffinatly keep up the good work. Parrots can get cage bound of spending to much time caged, they start to be fearful to come out. Like agoraphobia.. so it is important to get them out, engaged in environment and encourage their natural parrot curiosity .

Its spring hormonal time that can lead to more protective behavior. And increased vocalizations...thdts the big one here. I call it spring scream.

She looks adorable in her swing and peeping out from hair. :heart2:

Reactions: tka

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
I think these laws should be changed. But I caution you, as many states will euthanize the parrot if you are caught with it ...
Im not sure of you needed veterinarian care ..are veterinarian required to report?
I don't think they are "required" to report but some feel they have a moral obligation to. I live right on the border so if I need a vet I'll just find one over state lines.

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
I don't think they are "required" to report but some feel they have a moral obligation to. I live right on the border so if I need a vet I'll just find one over state lines.
Yeah...we've stressed about that but there is no reason for us to come to anyone's attention if we don't take her out in the public parks. Even then, someone would have to prove she was a Quaker which would require a supeana for DNA and we'd have her out of the state before it could come to that. Have multiple relatives within a 3 hour drive that could keep her for a few weeks.

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
Each state is different how it deals with Quaker parakeets. Quaker parakeet society has an info page on their website.

with my ‘new’ Quaker, I’m not allowed in his cage. So I open his door and ask if he wants to come out. I shake the bribe jar. Usually he now comes to the door or top of the cage. I ask him to step up and when he complies I tell him he a good boy! And give him a treat.

the food treats will make Coney come out much faster.

my boy goes to bed early and won’t come out after 6 pm in winter. He is very sweet once out.
Coney is fine with my hands in her cage so long as I don't "chase" her with them. I can put things in and take them out and pick up stuff she's dropped with no problem. When I do "approach" her she bobs her head and pushes me away with her beak. If I don't retreat she will grab my hand and put pressure on it but not aggressively BITE. So she doesn't want to hurt me but she wants her boundries respected! I imagine if I grabbed her she would likely bite but I'm not going to do that.

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
Put a perch on the outside of the Cage by the door. Reward her for going there, and have her step to you from there.

My quakers won't come out after sundown. They have a strong roosting instincts ( mine anyway) . They prefer to be in their cage sn hour before sunset. But many adjust to their parents routine.

Deffinatly keep up the good work. Parrots can get cage bound of spending to much time caged, they start to be fearful to come out. Like agoraphobia.. so it is important to get them out, engaged in environment and encourage their natural parrot curiosity .

Its spring hormonal time that can lead to more protective behavior. And increased vocalizations...thdts the big one here. I call it spring scream.

She LOVES to hide in hair. Right now she isn't allowed on my daughter because she is too interested in the new nose piercing that needs to be kept sanitary for 12 weeks! But she hides in mine too, it's just not as long.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Would love more pictures!

They are all so unique, mine getting fussed if my hair is down ;)

justqltin

Real Name
Pam

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
She LOVES to hide in hair. Right now she isn't allowed on my daughter because she is too interested in the new nose piercing that needs to be kept sanitary for 12 weeks! But she hides in mine too, it's just not as long.
I have almost three feet of hair and am afraid to get any birdy tangled up in it. My old Quaker was calm and liked to hide under it but I would be afraid that Willow or Jasper would get tangled and try to bite their way out.

justqltin

Real Name
Pam
I have almost three feet of hair and am afraid to get any birdy tangled up in it. My old Quaker was calm and liked to hide under it but I would be afraid that Willow or Jasper would get tangled and try to bite their way out.
That would be scary

justqltin

Real Name
Pam

She spent all day hovering by the door. She ducked out and right back in multiple times. Finally at 9pm she got brave enough to try to come see us.

Attachments

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s a start!!