• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! New bird owner!!

Emily&Pixel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Emily
Hi there !! My name is Emily and I just got my first bird yesterday. He's a (assumed very young) budgie that I've named Pixel. As of now, I'm only slightly sure he's a male, but even if he's not the name will stay the same. I've been anxiously awaiting when he would become less stressed about his new home since upon opening the pet carrier he flew out ^^; I stayed as calm as possible while attempting to catch him, but I was very afraid he would be extremely skittish because of it. Fortunately, about an hour ago he finally started eating! I've been occasionally making noises toward him and speaking/singing in a calming tone and I guess it paid off! As of now, he's been only eating his seed but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting him to try pellets since I hear a seed diet can be very unhealthy. I also don't have any millet for him and I'm wondering if that would be very worth getting.
If anyone has any tips on making sure he has the fullest life I'm always up to hear them!
Anyhow, I'm very excited for this new member of my family and sincerely hope I do everything correctly.
~A very concerned/nervous new bird mother

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hi Emily. We budgie people are here for you and Pixel. He or she has baby bars on the forehead meaning a young age. It's a good idea not to let Pixel out of the cage for a few days until she gets used to you and all the other new things. Try just slowly putting your hands on the cage and talk softly several times a day. You will need to make your home safe for flying and living. Have you read about the toxic items, foods and plants that can harm a bird? Toys should be inspected for dangers such as fibers and metal that is not stainless steele. Perches should be comfortable for those little feet. Natural woods and rope perches are good. Not the dowel perches that come with a new cage. Remove all non stick cookware and items that have teflon.
Cookware best to be SS or the newer ceramic.

When you do let Pixel out please do it in a small room like a bathroom with mirrors covered. It's safer not to give them a large area to fly in the early weeks.

Budgies need fresh greens and red, orange or yellow veggies. I chop broccoli, romaine, kale, carrots, peppers and other e r veggies very small. Usually I sprinkle millet seed on top. Millet is your best friend for training or treating so get a quality millet like California gold. The better quality foods are mostly on line, not in a pet store. I suggest Harrisons extra fine regular pellets (not high potency) or Roudybush nibbles. I have always mixed them with a seed blend. Amazon sells Dr. Harveys parakeet blend which is really good. Also any of the Goldenfeast small beak food is nutritious.

So do your homework and study safety and nutrition for Budgies. Ask any questions. Oh not sure on your birds gender yet. Best time to do that is after the first molt.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Pixel! :)

@Lady Jane has given excellent advice! Patience is the key with new birds, you want to build a base of trust with Pixel, and it sounds like you're doing exactly that.

I also suggest you make an appointment with your AV to have a wellness check for Pixel. It's important to establish a good relationship between him/her, Pixel, and yourself...:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welcomesign:
Pixel is so cute!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes I did forget the importance of a wellness check for your bird with avian vet. Do you have a small carrier to take Pixel to the vet? Your bird will need periodic grooming of nails. They grow fast so when you see them curving and they feel sharp I suggest either a vet tech, vet or person who knows what they are doing to trim the nails. I take mine about every 2 to 3 months. Experienced bird people sometimes trim or file the nails themselves. We have many vendors here who sell safe toys not made in China.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road