• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! Looking for advice on bird ownership.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi!
I have owned a parakeet before when I was young but now that I’m older I’m looking to get a bird again. I have a cage that’s 17.5 x 22.5 x 22.5 and plenty of toys. I’m looking for a bird that can comfortably fit in there, who can also be kept alone. I’d much prefer something small-medium. I’ve been looking at cockatiels, sun conures, lovebirds, and parrotlets but I’m unsure which would be best for my situation. I’d be open to a pair if they could fit comfortably in a cage of that size but I’m not sure.

Any advice would be very welcome!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. That cage is too small for a cockatiel. I am not sure what the cage requirements are for the other species. My guess is it's too small for a conure too. I wouldn't pick a bird though based upon the cage you have. You should pick a bird because that's the kind of bird you want. If you scroll down to the different bird sections there is a "good, bad and ugly" section for each type of bird. I would start reading there to see what it is you like and don't like about different species.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Thank you! I was trying to figure out more of exactly what I wanted but I wasn’t sure where to start. I’ll take a look!

A.K

Sprinting down the street
Maybe you should tell us a bit more about yourself? What’s your budget? How much time are you able to spend with a bird?

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Maybe you should tell us a bit more about yourself? What’s your budget? How much time are you able to spend with a bird?
Hello!
I’m looking to spend around $300 max on the bird itself (not including food, toys, etc). I work and go to school but I’m home before 530 6 out of 7 weeknights and almost all day on the weekends. I usually spend my study time chilling out with my pets, and I always have a couple hours dedicated to them every day (more on the weekends). I have other animals but I do have a separate room that could be used for the bird. However, I don’t want something super loud as my husband is bothered by very loud sounds. I also tend to like smaller birds, I’m really not a macaw/African gray/cockatoo size person lol.

A.K

Hello!
I’m looking to spend around $300 max on the bird itself (not including food, toys, etc). I work and go to school but I’m home before 530 6 out of 7 weeknights and almost all day on the weekends. I usually spend my study time chilling out with my pets, and I always have a couple hours dedicated to them every day (more on the weekends). I have other animals but I do have a separate room that could be used for the bird. However, I don’t want something super loud as my husband is bothered by very loud sounds. I also tend to like smaller birds, I’m really not a macaw/African gray/cockatoo size person lol.
Okay. Well, do you live in an apartment, or a house? It sounds like you are stable right now. I’d recommend a budgie. They are small, not too noisy, but they can be at times. All birds are noisy sometimes, but some are more frequently. If you are getting budgies, get more than one, as they naturally live in large flocks, and they can keep each other entertained throughout the day.

If you ask me, maybe finish school first, then look into a bird? I don’t think you’ll be able to spend enough time with a bird after 5:30. You have other pets? That’s risky. Even if you keep them in a seperate room. What other pets do you have? Is your husband home all day? If so, is he willing to put in the time to take care of birds? Because, what if something happens to you, and suddenly you can’t take care of the birds? Is he going to be able to manage your other pets and a bird/birds?

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are their any parrot rescues near you? I think one of the best way to decide is to meet some birds. Both lovebirds and parrotlets are fun little birds.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Budgies, lovebirds, and parrolets are all AMAZING birds! Many people say budgies become wild if you don't continually tame them, but I've found that to be false, as long as you interact with them. I've gone almost a month without training or taming them before, just existing by them and letting them come to me, and they still loved me and were super exited to see me every day after school! On the other hand, my budgies free roam all day, so they're generally better off than budgies that are kept in cages most/all of the day and barley get to fly around.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
@A.K I'm curious as to why you would say they wouldn't have time after 5:30 to interact with a bird? Many people work full time and have birds. Just curious.

sootling

Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
@A.K I'm curious as to why you would say they wouldn't have time after 5:30 to interact with a bird? Many people work full time and have birds. Just curious.
Maybe because A.K. usually goes to bed sooner? Or is assuming the person wakes up before 5:30, meaning the bird wouldn't have the full 12 hours of sleep it needs (probably more during breeding season)?

Reactions: A.K

A.K

Hm, maybe that’s just the way my schedule is. I come home much earlier. Of course, this all depends on the person keeping the bird. I also go to sleep very early.

cookiesmom

Meeting neighbors
It's not generally good to leave a cockatiel alone for days at a time because you could lose their trust. If you want something small that's minimal work, maybe look at canaries and finches? I have a tiel and she will only be social with me if I'm social with her regularly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your cage measurements are way too small to comfortably keep any bird you actually mention in it, it might be ok for short travel, like to the vet, but as a cage for a bird to live in it is honestly no good.
All birds are loud- even budgies! I suggest you go meet a heap of different birds and get to know their general behaviours, sizes and noise levels and work your plan out from there- I have one budgie and need to remove myself from his presence frequently due to his noise, I can’t deal with more than 10 seconds of cockatiel or lovebird noise yet I can easily cope with macaw screaming and I can tolerate cockatoo noise - the sound is not only bothersome because of actual volume, tone actually factors in as well which many don’t realise.
Once you decide which bird you’d like to bring home, you then start searching for an appropriate size cage and toys that are appropriate for the species of bird you plan to get.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If a bird is quiet most likely they are sick. Little birds can sometimes be louder than a big bird. Look through some post here for members wanting advice with a screaming bird.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Some people have mentioned that it's not always the volume of the bird that annoys them, but the actual sound itself. So really, just go out there and meet a tons of birds! You'll be able to see and meet different ones that might suit you. Shezbug helped me with finding the right cage size, so I would trust her on the cage size thing. A bird with lot's of space is a happier and healthier bird!

TessaG

Meeting neighbors
Hello!
If you don't want a loud bird, you definitely don't want a lovebird! I have Peachfaces, and they make loud, metallic sounds...it doesn't bother me personally, until they perch on my shoulder and chirp in my ear - enough to make your ears ring/feel a little deaf for a bit. I'd agree, you can always sell the cage and get something new, but the type of bird and how it matches you/your lifestyle is a better way to choose a bird. Solo lovebirds, for example, need a lot of attention, and if they're stuck in the cage too long each day, they can develop unhealthy coping behaviors (obsessive beak rubbing, running back and forth on the bottom of the cage, feather plucking, etc.). I honestly can't speak to other breeds. Good luck in finding the perfect feathered friend for you!

BirdLady13

I agree with others in saying you should choose a cage based on the bird and not the other way around. Noise levels, pitch, and tone are all going to vary from bird to bird. I have a Blue and Gold Macaw, a Hahn's Macaw, a Lovebird, and 2 Parrotlets. One of the Parrotlets and the Hahn's are by far the noisiest of the 5. The Blue & Gold is the loudest, but he seldom calls.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t want something super loud as my husband is bothered by very loud sounds
You might read on google or see vids on youtube saying greencheeks are not loud they can be extremely loud when they want to be.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Okay. Well, do you live in an apartment, or a house? It sounds like you are stable right now. I’d recommend a budgie. They are small, not too noisy, but they can be at times. All birds are noisy sometimes, but some are more frequently. If you are getting budgies, get more than one, as they naturally live in large flocks, and they can keep each other entertained throughout the day.

If you ask me, maybe finish school first, then look into a bird? I don’t think you’ll be able to spend enough time with a bird after 5:30. You have other pets? That’s risky. Even if you keep them in a seperate room. What other pets do you have? Is your husband home all day? If so, is he willing to put in the time to take care of birds? Because, what if something happens to you, and suddenly you can’t take care of the birds? Is he going to be able to manage your other pets and a bird/birds?
I live in a house with other animals, but none of them free roam unattended and have all separate spaces.

Reactions: A.K

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
You might read on google or see vids on youtube saying greencheeks are not loud they can be extremely loud when they want to be.
I will look into that, thank you!