• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello. Im Illyria I'm new here but I have a question about one of my parakeets.

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
I have 3 sets of parakeets 2 in each cage. The first two we bought for my son and I to enjoy together, the second set a lady had up on FB saying they needed to find them a home cause their cat was stalking them so badly, and the third said the same- they had a cat that wouldn't leave them alone, so now we have 6 in total. They are all wonderful birds and all seem to get along with their cage mates well but I have one female named Melody who digs out all of her food from the food container and then kinda hangs out in the dish. I have read they can do this just for fun or to find what they like in the mix but I was wondering if this could be a sigh that they need a nesting box?? They came here to us last so they do not have a nesting box but I plan to get them one soon but if there is a need for it NOW I would get it now. I appreciate any help in this and look forward to meeting everyone here and making new friends here who love birds like I do! Thank you so much, Illyria

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Don't give your birds nesting boxes, unless you want babies, if the pair are male+female.
My suggestion would be to let Melody continue to use that container and provide another, totally different container for food. Perhaps something difficult for her to get into, or uncomfortable once she climbs in.

Oh, welcome aboard BTW ;)

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and your flock. :)

Does Melody have a male companion? If so, she could be looking for a nesting spot...and yes, sometimes birds do like to hang out in a bowl and dish...without producing eggs.
My suggestion would be to let Melody continue to use that container and provide another, totally different container for food. Perhaps something difficult for her to get into, or uncomfortable once she climbs in.
..a good suggestion...

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue, Illyria! :meet:

I wouldn't provide a nesting box. They cause far more risks and problems than they're worth and there's never any need for one unless you are a breeder.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Post some photos of your parakeets when you get a chance. What are their names?

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome @Illyria. Your birds sound precious - can you post photos? :welcome2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
Welcome to the forum!!

Just curious, but why the name "Illyria"? Any Albanian connections by any chance? ;)

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
Hi ~Drini~ I got the name Illyria I got the name from the TV series of "Angel" a spin off of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". Illyria was my fav. character. Thanks for the Welcome!:)

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
Hi @Fergus Mom. I now have 6 parakeets. Two we bought for my son because his rat died and he wanted a bird, he is only 5 so I am the caretaker. I have fell head over heals in love with them all. The second pair came to us because a woman said her cats were stalking them and she didn't want them living fear. The 3rd pair I guess their "mom" died and the family was just gonna let them loose outside so this lady who was a friend of the family said she would take them and they let her have them. Then same story, the lady said her cats terrorized them and she didn't want them living that way. --I myself have 2 dogs and 2 cats but the dogs are gated off from the cats because my little yorkie wants to get them. The dogs stay with us in what we call our "play room" and when we go to bed we shut the door in here and know the cats can't get in so no worries there! I will post pics of them all when I figure out how to get around on the site better. I'm still learning. Their names in order of how we got them are- Kiwi and Berrie//Bonnie and Clyde//and finally Muzic and Melody.

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
Hi @iamwhoiam thanks for the welcome and yes I want to post pics and as soon as I figure out how to do that here I will. I now have 3 pairs of parakeets their names are Kiwi and Berrie-- Bonnie and Clyde-- and then finally Muzic and Melody. They are so wonderful they all have their own personalities and I truly enjoy watching them all day.

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
@Feather Nice to meet you! I am doing a lot of reading and learning every day and I will see about the boxes. We already have them on two cages but I will look into it further and make decisions on what I read or others can offer to me as well. So far my parakeets seem to like them they both go in and come out and play.

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
@cassiesdad I have left that dish empty for her. She plays in it and sits there a lot. She does have a nesting box now as well and she also goes in there. Her (Bonnie) mate Clyde also goes in the box too and they don't fight over it or anything but I think she for sure WANTS that dish empty so that's fine with me. Thank you!!!

Illyria

Moving in
Real Name
Dorretta Haynes
@Ripshod we do want babies. But I want her to have the dish as well because she has made it clear she wants it and there is another one and can hold plenty of food for them both for 1 day.