• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Hello, I'm a new Amazon Owner

Jene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jene
Alf Day 2.jpg Hello,

A little about me, I'm a mom, work part time, two kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and now a Amazon parrot owner/pet parent. It all started 5 1/2 years ago when my daughter adopted a Cockatiel (Lutino). About 6 mo ago my husband adopted a recue Conure (Jenday/Sun mix) know for his/her grumpiness. He has been very successful in gaining her trust and they seem to have a great bond.

Present day, my husband talked me into adopting another rescue bird, a Yellow Headed Amazon named Alf.
Alt is 32 years old, male I am told. The first two days Alf was home were great. Now he is charging the side of the cage and will attack me. I can get him out of the cage and will give him apple slices after he calms down.

I joined the forum to become a better parrot owner to Alf and our other feathered boys. Alf had the same owner (a man) for 32 years but the wife insisted he give up his bird. That is where we come into the picture. . . .after he spent a month in a bird store where he boarded of and on for years.
Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Sorry for the long post.

Best Regards,

Jen

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome Jen and Alf! :hi:

Alf will probably calm down once he gets used to his new home and even though his owner didn't die, he may still be grieving the loss. :( I'd leave his door open and see when he's ready to come out on his own. It took Buzzard a week before he would even climb out of his cage to sit on the door. Probably just drop the treats in his bowl so he associates you with good things until he's ready to interact. :)

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
:welcomesign: to the Avenue. We are glad to have you.

First off, I just want to thank you for adopting your 3 feathered friends and giving them a home. Most parrot owners look for baby parrots to buy from breeders and don't even think to adopt. Congratulations on your new addition to the family. Welcome, Alf!

I agree with @faislaq, your bird very well may just be a little scared and/or getting used to his new home. Depending on the care he got from his previous owners, Alf may also not be very comfortable around humans. If he was given bad care, he has learned to fear humans. If he was given good care from a man he liked, he is unsure of strangers taking him in to a new home.

I joined the forum to become a better parrot owner to Alf and our other feathered boys
That is great! That shows that you are a responsible parront and are willing to learn more to give your bud the best life possible; not all parrot owners are like that.

Visit the Amazon Avenue for help from experienced Amazon owners. You can find great advice there on how to help grow a strong bond between you and Alf. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Amazons are awesome but you're going to need to give him time, a lot of it.

His whole world is upside down. He usually went between his owner and that place. @faislaq is right, he will grieve.

Don't try to force a bond. Talk to him a lot and drop treats in his bowl periodically. You want him to consider that you bring good things.

Remember each bird is an individual. They really are.

Thanks for looking for info. That's how we all learn to be better owners.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Beautiful Amazon.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Welcome to The Avenue.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Your boy is so handsome!!

I have a Double Yellow male, who is about 27 . Wasabi, who is adopted, is my first Amazon. I love him dearly, but the devil hasn’t got anything on him! I mean that with affection....most of the time.

Your boy is establishing his territory. That’s why he was trying to scare you away. Don’t take it personally. Now, males like ours are known to test your patience and estimate how much they can get away with. Wasabi needs a firm hand. If I was a meek person, he would try to boss me around even more.

I am glad you have found this board. You will get accurate information. There is a lot of nonsense online about life with an Amazon. I wish I had that resource when we got the big boy. We’ve had him about 11 years, but it feels like a lot longer!!! :lol:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Alf is one good looking guy with his red shoulders!
:welave:

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Beautiful bird! Former owner was a man, he's a male Amazon ( hot three at that), you're a woman, new home and it's Spring! Woo hoo! Recipe for excitement!

I too have a DYH but he's pretty mellow, except now, cause it's the time of year he thinks he's supposed to find a nest site, attract a mate and defend them both. Poor fella.

Patience is the key. And don't rush it, you have plenty of time. He really is beautiful.

Jene

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jene
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and positive support :). I have not taken him out yesterday or today, he seems so scared. I will give him space and time. I talk top him when I walk in but I don't head straight to him. I've started waiting till he settled a bit. Also, I never thought male bird = hormones + find a girl season, lol. Good to know. Have a good night.

Jen

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Welcome to you, Alf and your flock into the bird world and AA. It all started with a cockatiel. :swoon:Congrats and also thank you for taking in the rescues and adopting. Alf will need some time for sure, but he'll come around. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA and welcome to the world of male Amazons...in my flock of 7 Amazons, I only have one male and he's bonded to a female. His name is Bobo and he's a snot! He is also one of the hot three (He's a Blue Front, the other two are the Double Yellow Head which you have and the Yellow Nape and they have a reputation for being crabby, obnoxious, and down right mean, the boys more so than the girls but the girls can be snotty too). I agree that he's probably feeling out of sorts and he's probably a bit hormonal too. I can also give you this little piece of advice, the fastest way to an Amazon's heart is through his stomach!:) They also love to be talked to and told they are pretty! They love to be told they are pretty! Is your guy clipped or can he fly? If he's clipped, I would open his cage and let him decide to come out when he wants to and as someone already said, every time you pass his cage, drop a treat in his bowl...that sets up a positive bond with him and he knows who the treat giver is. Beware though, even though he can't fly, he can probably jump, so just keep an eye on his body language and where you are in comparison to where he is. Also, just because he's not clip doesn't necessarily mean he can fly. One of my female Blue Fronts can't fly to save her life probably because she wasn't properly fledged. I also have a Double Yellow Head and a Yellow Crested who would rather die than fly. They are all unique! Also talk to him a lot. Ask him what he's doing and how his day has been and tell him he's pretty...did I mention to tell him how beautiful he is?:) They like that!:)

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Welcome to the forum @Jene! You will love it here ;) Alf is a very handsome bird.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Alf is SUPER handsome! Welcome to the avenue and thank you for taking all those birds in! Lots of great advice is already here, I have nothing to Add for now:)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome and positive support :). I have not taken him out yesterday or today, he seems so scared. I will give him space and time. I talk top him when I walk in but I don't head straight to him. I've started waiting till he settled a bit. Also, I never thought male bird = hormones + find a girl season, lol. Good to know. Have a good night.

Jen
Way to go!

thanks for keeping us updated, we care.