• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! :) I would like some input on a few things...

BiscoffSpread

Moving in
Hello! As stated above, I would like some input on a few things. I have been wanting a bird for the longest time by now and have pretty much decided on a Green Cheek Conure. I would like some input on weather or not the Green Cheek Conure is right for me and if I, given the living situation I will describe down below, are ready for a bird. I would really like to make sure I can handle a bird before I get one as I would hate to not be able to give my bird the best life possible if I am grossly underprepared.
I am a young teenager who would be keeping this bird in my bedroom on the opposite side of where I would be sleeping. I has put in research for all of the necessities and then some for a bird. Here are what I have managed to find:

Cage- Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Select Bird Cage Black Hammertone 3151BLK : Birdcages : Pet Supplies

Toys- Amazon.com : Prevue Hendryx 62806 Naturals Rope Ladder Bird Toy : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com: Prevue Hendryx 62801 Naturals Coco Hideaway with Ladder Bird Toy: Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : Paradise 2.5 by 9-Inch Knots and Blocks Pet Toy, Mini : Caitec Knot : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : JW Pet Company Activitoy Olympia Rings Small Bird Toy, Colors Vary : Parakeet Toys : Pet Supplies
Amazon.com : 2 3/4" Bagel Rings Bird Toy Parts 12 Pieces : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

Cage Perch- https://www.amazon.com/Booda-Comfy-Medium-32-Inch-Colors/dp/B0002563O0/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1482956408&sr=1-3&keywords=conure+perch&th=1

Window/Shower Perch- Amazon.com : Portable Suction Cup Shower Perch Stand for Bird Parrot Macaw African Greys Budgies Cockatoo Parakeet Cockatiel Conure Love birds Bath Perch Toy : Pet Supplies

Hut- Amazon.com: Sun Conure Green Cheek Bird Parrot Shed Hammock Warm Hut Nest (Blue): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Heater- Amazon.com : K&H Manufacturing Snuggle Up Bird Warmer, Small/Medium Grey : Pet Habitat Heat Mats : Pet Supplies

Snacks- Amazon.com : Lafeber Company Nutri-Berries Cockatiel Pet Food, 4-Pound : Pet Supplies

Pellets- https://www.amazon.com/Harrisons-Hi...rd_wg=mVFkt&psc=1&refRID=G210N6F1D6YDSER2MWXR

And I would be chopping up fruits and vegetables for it each day. As for the Conure, I was hoping to get this little buddy: Meet Charlie, a Petfinder adoptable Conure Parrot | Norwalk, CT He is a very cute rescued conure about and hour and a half away from me. He is $125 with cage, toys, and limited food supplies so I figured besides helping house a sheltered conure, I would be able to save $400+ with the little guy if his cage and toys are suitable. If not, I will step in and get those. He would most likely be in my bedroom, as this is the place where I would be allowed to keep him and I would be able to interact with him a lot more than if he was in another area of the house.
Another thing is if a conure is right for me. Here are my needs in a bird, please tell if they are suitable for a conure:

I would like a bird that is quiet enough for a heavy sleeper such as myself to sleep across the room with, although I can get over some noise and adjust to it as I continue to take care of him/her. I would also like to have a bird that allows enough interaction to the point where I could perch it, and possibly even put it on my shoulder and/or teach it tricks, although I do know that this is partly bird specific. Also, I would like a bird with a big personality. And one more thing, I want a bird that can be a loving companion for as long as it lives.

So, I am deeply sorry if this is a lot of things I am asking you guys to read over, and I am sorry if I am being a little to needy/pesky. But, reading the information above, can you please answer three questions:

1: Is a Green Cheek Conure the right bird for me?
2: Am I responsible/able to keep a bird?
3: Are the items I listed suitable for this bird to live a happy life?

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Charlie is very cute! As for the cage you linked to on Amazon, I think 18 x 18 is a little too small. I would try to get a one that is larger if you're getting a conure. But if you get Charlie, I guess he comes with a cage already, right? No bird is quiet. : ) Big, small, they are all noisy to various degrees. You say you are a young teenager. I will say you seem very responsible and clearly have done your research. And we have some members here who are young and are great bird parents. Some things to consider though- is your family on board? A bird is really a family commitment. No Teflon pans, no burning candles, no strong cleaners around the bird, etc. Also, a vet fund is important. Birds do get sick. Is your family willing to take a bird to a vet? It's heart breaking when we occasionally get young members on here with sick birds whose parents won't take the bird to the vet for them or pay the cost. Also, what are your future plans? If you're going to college, do you have someone to take care of the bird while you're gone? Birds can live a long time so it's a big commitment. That said, I think it's wonderful that you're considering adoption. There are so many birds out there in need of a good home. And conures are very fun little birds. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm very proud of you for considering adopting a parrot that needs a home. I've never had a Green Cheek, but from the majority of posts about them they are an outstanding companion.

It appears that you have done your research and are ready to jump in with both feet. The one thing I will mention is that a bird, even a small bird, can cost thousands in veterinarian bills - so please keep a vet fund and keep it sacrosanct for that purpose. Many times when a young person gets any pet their parents won' help with the vet bills - what is your parents attitude? An annual checkup will cost around $300 - so they aren't cheap. Do you drive so you can take the bird to a vet on your own?

If you do adopt a bird, please stay on this forum where you can get all of the help you need (without being ragged on) when issues with your baby arise.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Hello!:welave:

I agree that the cage you've chosen is much too small. GCs are small but energetic little birds and will really thrive in as big a cage as possible. For a similar price this flight cage would give a GC much more room (though it doesn't come with all of the nifty additions like a seed guard, etc). If you'd like something sturdier, with a play top and feeder stations you can find some good deals right now on cages like this.

It's awesome that you are looking to adopt! GCCs can be great first birds, though in my opinion, they tend to be nippy and their shrieks piercing (can you tell I'm not a conure person? lol). I much prefer budgies, tiels, and parrotlets myself. All of the traits you mentioned (trainable, big personality, sociable) can be found in any of these smaller parrots, and really just depends on the individual. Of course all of these birds are also going to be noisy, messy, and expensive so whether you get a conure or not you'll have to be prepared for this reality.

I think you are probably responsible enough to own a parrot but because I feel obligated I just have to ask: what do your future plans look like? Are you interested in going to college? Traveling?

I got "my" first bird after two years of college and can say it would have been very difficult to do so before then. Your life is changing so quickly, you have so many new opportunities to explore, and you may be forced into inappropriate living situations. Not to mention adjusting to the rigors of college-level academics can make it very difficult to provide the ideal care for a needy parrot. I had to make a lot of sacrifices, shoulder a lot more stress, and tailor my life around this animal to make sure he was happy (even if I was not). So I'm not going to say getting a bird as a young person is impossible, just that in such an uncertain time of your life you may want to leave yourself with more freedom.

Some of my best memories from college are taking spontaneous road trips, working at field sites each summer, staying out to the wee hours of the morning, going wherever whenever I wanted.... basically enjoying my freedom and independence. Learning what I wanted to do in life by trying everything out. Of course this does not just apply to college, but any young person looking for a purpose or career. Birds absolutely tie you down and it would be a shame for you to limit yourself unnecessarily before you have a chance to get started.

BiscoffSpread

Moving in
Thank you all for your responses! One of the recurring questions that was asked was about the vet. I am sorry as I forgot to mention the vet earlier in the thread. I have found an aviary vet about 15 minutes away and there are about 5 others that are within an hour away from me. As for this question:
what do your future plans look like? Are you interested in going to college? Traveling?
I am planning on going to college. Travelling? Not so much although it is a possibility. Although I do know that wherever I go, I understand how long conures can live and I am fully prepared to take it with me. I do understand how it can be very difficult with a bird in a college dorm/living space during college, however I have always wanted to live out of campus via renting out space with others. I would hope that this would give me the freedom needed to host a bird.

As to these following questions:
Birds do get sick. Is your family willing to take a bird to a vet
Yes, I do believe that my family and I would be willing to take this bird to the vet whenever it is needed.

is your family on board? A bird is really a family commitment.
The answer to this is I am not quite sure at the moment. I plan on asking them about this today or tomorrow. I just posted here beforehand as I wanted to make sure that I was even capable of keeping one before I got my parents on board. I also figured that some more professional opinions would help persuade, or aid against their approval.

Again, thank you all for your wonderful responses. I will take all of the suggestions into consideration. I will make sure to keep this thread updated when I get my parents response on the issue. And once again, I still cannot thank you all enough for your input and advice. Have a wonderful day! :)

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I have two GCCs and the advice and information you have recieved here is very good. The only thing I would add is that they need 10-12 hours sleep (dark, quiet time) a night, and I would say at least 4 hours a day out of cage and with you (not necessarily all direct attention but ambient attention - where you are in the same space). They can become very dependent and bond with you. The difficulty with your stage in life is determining whether you can commit to a schedule that will meet the bird's needs over time. Especially if the bird is in your room. It would be better if he could be in a space in the house where there are other people around when you are out. There are younger people on the forum who have done a lot of research and made this committment work. Perhaps they can give you some realistic pros and cons.
@Animallover03 ?

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue! I applaud you for doing so much research into the possible adoption of Charlie. You've been getting excellent advice here, and the only thing I can add is that an 18x18 cage is a bit small for a GCC. There are other options I know you can look into. I'm also glad you have a vet for Charlie...again, if and when you bring him home a wellness check is something he should have as soon as you can. A good relationship between you, Charlie, and the vet is so important.
One last thing, strive to gain knowledge about your bird every day, even after he comes home...I've had the pleasure of having avians in my life for over thirty years, and I'm still learning something new about them every day...;)

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Although I do know that wherever I go, I understand how long conures can live and I am fully prepared to take it with me. I do understand how it can be very difficult with a bird in a college dorm/living space during college, however I have always wanted to live out of campus via renting out space with others. I would hope that this would give me the freedom needed to host a bird.
I don't want to be a huge debbie downer but will just add this: everyone thinks it's as easy as getting off campus housing when college finally comes around. Everyone wants to think it's easy to just "take a bird with them". Well 9 out of 10 universities are going to require students to live on campus at least one year, if not more. When you DO move off campus finding bird friendly housing AND roommates is difficult. I was basically kicked out of my first house because a housemate was allergic to my bird. In the second on, I only rented a single bedroom and my new housemates complained about the noise. When I finally found a one bedroom apartment in a pet friendly building I was 20 mins farther away from campus that I liked to be and I paid $350 more per month in rent.

I've told this advice to many other high schoolers before. They always answer something along the lines of "well I'll just go to a college where I don't have to live on campus" or "I'll just live at home and go to school locally". Which is FINE (if that is what you really want), but what if you have other dreams and aspirations? Say it's always been your dream to be a biologist, and you happen to get into a top biology program in the country. I think the best thing a young person can do is leave as many doors open as possible. Thinking of how far that has gotten me now it would have been incredibly naive for me to throw away good opportunities because I felt tied to an animal.

Again, sorry for being such a pessimist. I know everyone is giving you encouraging advice and I'm being the negative nancy in the corner. But I'd hate for you to have to make tough decisions in a few years because you took on such a big commitment now. I think the only way I'd feel 100% comfortable recommending you get a bird is if your parents are willing to take on its responsibility in the future, if your path in life makes it difficult to care for correctly. That way the bird isn't being bounced around between homes. Hopefully once you talk to them they will be on board for this. Wishing you luck!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Calpurnia that is really good information.

And it reminds me of my nephew, who's 15. Last week we had this conversation about him wanting a dog. He was really angry cause the grandparents (who are raising him) won't let him get one, and I reminded him that even if they did they've never let dogs inside the house. (They're my parents! Trust me I know!) so then I said plus you're going to go to college, then go to work maybe someplace else.... he says in this loud agitated way WELL THE COLLEGE I WANT TO GO TO ALLOWS PETS.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true.... lol

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Calpurnia that is really good information.

And it reminds me of my nephew, who's 15. Last week we had this conversation about him wanting a dog. He was really angry cause the grandparents (who are raising him) won't let him get one, and I reminded him that even if they did they've never let dogs inside the house. (They're my parents! Trust me I know!) so then I said plus you're going to go to college, then go to work maybe someplace else.... he says in this loud agitated way WELL THE COLLEGE I WANT TO GO TO ALLOWS PETS.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true.... lol
There are colleges where pets are allowed. There is a girl I follow on Instagram in the US who lives in a college dorm with her U2, M2 and G2. Still, the options for colleges that would allow that must be limited.

BiscoffSpread

Moving in
Once again, I am truly grateful to all of you. The community here has blown me away so far and I cannot thank you all enough.
@Calpurnia I will definitely take in what you said here:
I don't want to be a huge debbie downer but will just add this: everyone thinks it's as easy as getting off campus housing when college finally comes around. Everyone wants to think it's easy to just "take a bird with them". Well 9 out of 10 universities are going to require students to live on campus at least one year, if not more. When you DO move off campus finding bird friendly housing AND roommates is difficult. I was basically kicked out of my first house because a housemate was allergic to my bird. In the second on, I only rented a single bedroom and my new housemates complained about the noise. When I finally found a one bedroom apartment in a pet friendly building I was 20 mins farther away from campus that I liked to be and I paid $350 more per month in rent.
When I ask my parents within the next day or so about the possibility of a bird, I will make sure I speak to them about this issue and show them your entire comment. Once again, I deeply thank all of you who have posted suggestions, help, and advice on this thread and I will make sure to keep you updated as this process goes on. :)

BiscoffSpread

Moving in
The only thing I would add is that they need 10-12 hours sleep (dark, quiet time) a night, and I would say at least 4 hours a day out of cage and with you (not necessarily all direct attention but ambient attention - where you are in the same space). They can become very dependent and bond with you. The difficulty with your stage in life is determining whether you can commit to a schedule that will meet the bird's needs over time. Especially if the bird is in your room. It would be better if he could be in a space in the house where there are other people around when you are out.
Thank you for this information. I will make sure to keep this in mind. One more thing to add however, if I manage to get a GCC, about how often should I take it to the vet for a checkup?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Once a year vet trips are recommended. Costs around $300-$400 per trip depending on where you live. Includes gram stain, blood test (CBC - complete blood count, and chem panel).

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Once a year vet trips are recommended. Costs around $300-$400 per trip depending on where you live. Includes gram stain, blood test (CBC - complete blood count, and chem panel).
Just so you know, my avian vet recommends those blood panels every other year and maybe he doesn't do the same tests? so my yearly bill isn't nearly that high.

Call the avian certified vet in your area and ask what they recommend and approximate prices. Make sure he's an "avian" vet and not one that just treats birds. There is a difference.

I'm very proud of you for doing your research and wanting to take in someone that needs a home.

ArcticFox

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sinthea
I just wanted to say welcome! I've had birds almost constantly for 11 years (admitting that just made me feel old, excuse me while I cry in a corrner....okay I'm back) and got my first bird at 15. Until then, my mother and I took in foster kittens that were too young to be separated from their mom. So someone brought us an angry green bird they found. No rescues would take it and we couldn't find the owner. Long story short- that's how I ended up in avian rescue at 15.

Turned out that angry green bird was a female Indian ringneck and for some reason I've been told they are considered challenging birds- as odd as that sounds to me. That bird lived for 2 years before passing away.

At 17 I got a baby ringneck. He was with me through a marriage, 3 apartments, a move from Alaska to Arizona, college and a divorce. When I left my husband I left with nothing at 19, my dog and bird had to stay behind.

I have had foster cockatoos in rentals and a baby macaw. Now I have a foster cockatoo in my current apartment.

For rentals- talk to landlords when you are around 17 and thinking about moving out. In my experience- many landlords don't count birds as 'pets' and will allow them when they won't allow dogs. But communication is key.

Have a backup plan. If your sick or need to go on a trip, can your parents watch the bird? A good friend? When your older- your bf/gf? Have a back up plan for your back up plan.

For a vet- save up about $500 before you get the bird. That's a lot, I know. But that will cover initial wellness check and tests. Then work on saving a few thousand. I know it's a lot, but emergency vet care costs a lot. You may never need it. Hopefully that will be the case. But if your bird gets sick, you will have it.

Go for a bigger cage. It's in my preference to have a separate play stand. Get large toys, Small toys, shredding toys and perches. Get everything decked out before you bring him home. That will make it easier on you, not to have to worry about getting things while your adjusting to him, and he to you.

Know that depending on his diet at the foster/rescue- it may take time and work to get him to eat pellets and vegetables. Know that that is okay- and it's okay to buy a bag of seed for him during the transition.

I think a gcc would be a good choice. But remember, all birds bite and it will be a matter of time until your fall victim too.

I recommend reading up on clicker training and target training in addition. Set goals- what do you feel he needs to know to be a well mannered bird? Read up on wing clipping vs not clipping and make your own choice. Remember he will probably be clipped already but you can allow them to grow, or not. But be educated.

Know some days he will be a stinker and try your patience like no other. Talk to gcc owners. Can you meet some gccs? Even if it's at a pets store?

Before you get set on a individual bird, gather what you will need for him so that if this bird is adopted before you can take him, next time you find your bird you are ready.

If it was a larger bird I'd tell you to wait. But if (and only if) you have your parents full support and involvement, I think you can do this.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Just so you know, my avian vet recommends those blood panels every other year and maybe he doesn't do the same tests? so my yearly bill isn't nearly that high.
My vet does blood every two years also.

ArcticFox

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sinthea
Oh yeah, mine is doing bloodwork and full screening at the first visit and next year. then every other year to every three years, depending on what past blood work shows and if we are concerned with any numbers or sudden changes in behavior. just the checkup without bloodwork is $55 for us.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!