• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello!!! I just joined & have some questions about abandoned Dove eggs!

Mnn89

Moving in
Good afternoon!

My husband I noticed a few doves in our palm tree a few weeks ago in a nest, there was always a dove on it. Today is cold here & I haven't seen the Doves for a few days. I peeked at the nest (first time) and there were 2 eggs in it. we waited a couple hours and have still not seen the parents. We "candled" them and there are veins in both but again have not seen the parents in days.

how can we help the eggs if there is a small chance they can still hatch?

Thank you!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This website suggests that they can lay undisturbed for weeks as long the temperature is above freezing and not too warm, before being incubated. Do I personally would leave them alone; I'm sure the parents know what they are doing.

Dove Eggs

Mnn89

Moving in
ok, thank you for the advice!

the only reason we went to check is bc it went in the 30s last night and today the high is 60, since we had not seen a dove since last weekend we figured they were gone and surprise there they popped up on my camera.

So is it normal for Doves to leave their eggs for days/ a week at a time? They are in a tree in front of our window so we saw them everyday until last week.

we're just animal lovers ( 5 Rescue dogs 1 snake) and if something is wrong like if they got scared away (dogs, trash day, crows, hawks, etc.) we'd be more than happy to help.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would leave them, as the parents came back. Birds will actually not incubate they're eggs till the full clutch is layed.and it is normal for them to leave them for a bit,, What kind of doves?

Mnn89

Moving in
Mourning Doves.

they started nesting id say a month ago.

I apologize if im being annoying, im just never seen this before. if seen a lot of birds nest, but never their parents be gone for long.

I don't work and my husband has an odd schedule, I really think we would have seen them by now if they didn't abandon the nest? we do live by mountains, and have crows/pigeons/mockingbirds/rats and the occasional hawk that we've seen.

My Husband checked the mail and still no birds to be seen in the nest?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe ask a local wildlife rehabber, then?

I love animals too, but I also believe in the circle of life. Sadly if the parents did abandon it, it's for a reason. Or, if they meet their end, then the eggs will feed something else.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
Mourning Doves.

they started nesting id say a month ago.

I apologize if im being annoying, im just never seen this before. if seen a lot of birds nest, but never their parents be gone for long.

I don't work and my husband has an odd schedule, I really think we would have seen them by now if they didn't abandon the nest? we do live by mountains, and have crows/pigeons/mockingbirds/rats and the occasional hawk that we've seen.

My Husband checked the mail and still no birds to be seen in the nest?
Please don't apologize and you are not at all annoying. If I had seen the eggs and no parents and the temps dropping, I'd be concerned and I'd be asking a ton more questions. In fact, if this ever happens Ill be here asking. You are a good and caring person. I thank you for your good heart. Wish there were lots more just like you.

Mnn89

Moving in
I called the 2 wild life centers nearby, they will not do anything with eggs. they seemed almost confused I called them lol
I'm sorry if this makes anyone upset but there has been no birds back to the nest since this AM when we checked, it is now night time
so we took them in, I bought an incubator and got a recipe for crop milk, if my some miracle something pops out in a few days we'll take them to the Wildlife Center.

I also totally believe in the circle of life, esp with owning a Python, but if I can help I'll at least try.

Fingers Crossed!

Mnn89

Moving in
Quick update! The eggs now have *something* moving in them. We don't know if they're alive or not still but something has changed we're hoping for the best!

Still have not seen a dove near the tree :-/

Hopefully all will work out!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I guess with the info on parents normally leaving the nest for awhile & non incubated eggs are able to survive maybe weeks without a freeze I would have tried to leave them. We don't know if the parents check up on them in the night & it would be best for the parents to raise them.
If you are sure they are abandoned then I wish you luck with them & thank you for caring.

It does say when incubation is started then the eggs have to be kept warm so if something is moving they were incubated & its good you got them if the parents were not attending to them as the cold could hurt them.

I think you did the right thing.

I hope they hatch but don't know if they can ever be turned out into the wild or need to be cared for.

Last edited: