• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello i have a question bout my sulfur crested female cockatoo i have introduced a male and they seem to get along but he keeps trying to hold her foo

jfarr

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello i have a question about my sulfur crested female cockatoo i have introduced a male and they seem to get along but he tries to grab her feet and hold on what does this mean

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How does she react to it?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
My cockatoo used to do this in her last home with their african grey.
From what I understand, she liked him and wanted to be friends.
When we go to the pet store, there's a cockatoo that always holds my finger. (He belongs to the store). They said he does that because he doesn't want you to leave.
I'm pretty sure it's not a bad thing. My cockatoo does it to me too, like she's saying "Don't leave me". It seems to be a comfort for her. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Are they caged together? Or is this just while out and about?
How long have they known each other, and what are their ages?
Male Cockatoos have been known to be aggressive to females in captivity, so I'd keep a close eye on any physical interactions for quite some time.
Whether 'feet holding' is a natural behavior or not, and has the emotional impact stated by others, I have no idea.
I do know I'd proceed with caution, and be ready to intervene instantly.
Perhaps I'd even stop this grabbing, the female may be feeling a bit intimidated by it.