• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hello , how can i make my cockatiels feel as comfortable as possible.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
hello , i just got 2 cockatiels , a male and female. they are hissing and biting. they also pluck their feathers out and shake and puff up. i do not want them to feel uncomfortable or unsafe and scared. is there anything i can do to make them feel like they belong and have them feel safe around me?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Time and patience. Let them stay in their cage for a bit, cover the back and sides to give them some privacy, and leave them alone for a few days to let them settle

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Time and patience. Let them stay in their cage for a bit, cover the back and sides to give them some privacy, and leave them alone for a few days to let them settle
well they are afraid of the dark the old owners told me and when i turn the light of yesterday night they screamed like i was killing them. and they are not used to being in a cage , they flew freely (untamed) the the old owners home

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
They seem really stressed... have you let them out yet? Definitely keep a night light on during the night to prevent night frights. What are the dimensions of the cage? Do you mind posting a picture of their setup?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How big is it? Please give us the measurements. Remember this diagram I gave you earlier.

dimensions.gif

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
They seem really stressed... have you let them out yet? Definitely keep a night light on during the night to prevent night frights. What are the dimensions of the cage? Do you mind posting a picture of their setup?
i dont have a picture of it but i can upload the exact one with all the measurements Bird Cages For Sale Birds Breeding Purchase Wholesale Black Metal Wire Large Bird Cage - Buy Birds Cage Big Cage Pet,Canary Bird Cage Breeding Cage,Fancy Bird Cages Product on Alibaba.com

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
46cm*36cm*100cm based on your link, which is 18x14x39 inches.

Unfortunately that is too small for one Cockatiel, and far too small for two. They are probably quite stressed as they went from large open rooms to the equivalent of being shoved into a closet.

NkRCMUM5RTY2RkJGMzA1MEFDNTA6ZDQzYmU5ODZkMTA0N2I3ODAzYmQ3NThmMWViYjgxMzM6Ojo6OjA=.jpeg

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do you have a safe place to let them out? Also, where is their cage located? How much time are you spending with them? Did their other owner handle them?

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Do you have a safe place to let them out? Also, where is their cage located? How much time are you spending with them? Did their other owner handle them?
thew cage is nest to my bed , so they could watch me sleep last night and see im not a threat , they stay in my room with my budgies , my room isnt big but we make do.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your two tiels. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I agree that they need a bigger cage as soon as possible. They might end up fighting in this small of a cage. You might have to slowly get them used to being in a cage. Give them their favorite treats when they are in their cage, and keep all their food in their cage. Save their favorite treat just for training m. Often time tiels favorite is millet. I also wouldn’t use nest boxes. If you want your cockatiels to be friends with you, you don’t want to encourage breeding, like I saw you were thinking of in another post. Breeding birds often don’t make good companions. Getting dummy eggs is a good idea. Having some sort of a routine with them will help them settle in. Also, reading to them, dropping treats into their cage, and never forcing them to do anything will help. Having a play set in your room for them to hang out on might be a good idea. I would discourage them from finding any other nest sites in your room. After several weeks when they are more comfortable in their new home, you can try training them to step up on a perch or target training. You can look up how to target train on the internet. Look up Barbara Heidenreich training videos. You need to gain their trust, which is a slow process, but if you are patient you will get there. Just remember to reward good behavior, ignore undesirable behavior, never force them, respect their body language, avoid getting bit, and go at their pace. They often hiss when they are scared. It’s not that they don’t like people when they hiss, it’s just that they are scared. Also, I’m sorry about your mom, and I’m sure they are just scared of her.

Also I almost forgot, as for diet, feed them what they were eating before you got them, but eventually you should change their diet to include seeds, pellets, and fresh veggies.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Congratulations on your two tiels. It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I agree that they need a bigger cage as soon as possible. They might end up fighting in this small of a cage. You might have to slowly get them used to being in a cage. Give them their favorite treats when they are in their cage, and keep all their food in their cage. Save their favorite treat just for training m. Often time tiels favorite is millet. I also wouldn’t use nest boxes. If you want your cockatiels to be friends with you, you don’t want to encourage breeding, like I saw you were thinking of in another post. Breeding birds often don’t make good companions. Getting dummy eggs is a good idea. Having some sort of a routine with them will help them settle in. Also, reading to them, dropping treats into their cage, and never forcing them to do anything will help. Having a play set in your room for them to hang out on might be a good idea. I would discourage them from finding any other nest sites in your room. After several weeks when they are more comfortable in their new home, you can try training them to step up on a perch or target training. You can look up how to target train on the internet. Look up Barbara Heidenreich training videos. You need to gain their trust, which is a slow process, but if you are patient you will get there. Just remember to reward good behavior, ignore undesirable behavior, never force them, respect their body language, avoid getting bit, and go at their pace. They often hiss when they are scared. It’s not that they don’t like people when they hiss, it’s just that they are scared. Also, I’m sorry about your mom, and I’m sure they are just scared of her.

Also I almost forgot, as for diet, feed them what they were eating before you got them, but eventually you should change their diet to include seeds, pellets, and fresh veggies.
should i remove my budgies from the rrom while i do this?\

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry, which part exactly?