• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Paco! Need help!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It's been soooo long since I have posted. Covid did a number on all of us. Between lay offs, crappy jobs and trying to get back on my feet has been a challenge.

I'm here cause Paco is plucking... bad.

When I rescued him 2 years ago, was almost bald. Better food, clean cage, socializing, he was blooming.

A year ago, his left wing molted. Then I started working at night. Total drama. He has not left that wing alone. He is now starting on the other wing.

I am now back on day light hours, the normal 9 to 5 grind. Spend as much time as I can with him. He has plucked sooo bad.

I see photos on FB from two years ago, and he had more feathers. I am at the end of my rope.

One time I came home from work and the blood was everywhere, I was in a panic.

What can I do to get my happy boy back?

Vet is 2 hours away and with new job, don't want to take off right now. I had him all happy and feathered. What happened?

He stresses over everything. I mean everything. He was chewing on pieces of cardboard, yeah found something he likes, nope now he is scared.

I gave him books to chew up after I found him on the floor chewing my books up. That helped for a while. Not anymore.

I have taken everything new off his cage. Thought maybe that might help

He is eating more veggies and fruit then ever before. I keep the same routine every morning and night.

He wakes up and pulls feathers out, at night the same thing. He is now 23. He refuses a bath, I used to be able to squirt him every Saturday with a water bottle.

I have been under a lot of stress and was sick for 10 months, could is still be that?

Feathered friends I need advice!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
One thing you need to do is calm down. Your stress is felt by Paco. This will increase plucking.
Ignore it, I know how hard that is.
Mist anyway. Hold a garden sprayer, and point it up high. Let a wide soft mist drift down over him.
This is the best way to bathe a bird that is afraid of a spray bottle.
The moisture is needed, especially with a plucking bird.

Others may have more ideas. But for now, try not to react. I also am dealing with severe plucking.

I try and redirect, lots of foraging. Try to (if he doesn't freak) introduce new things.
I've woven fresh tree branches through the cage. (safe, no pesticide trees)
I've woven brown packaging paper through the bars.
I've hung phone books from the cage bars.
Hang fruit/veggies on skewers for a fun way to eat/forage.
I've hung child music toys for mine to push the buttons through the bars and make play (hung outside the cage).
Hang a soft dangly that he can sit under and preen. Mine will get in the middle with the soft fleece strips over them.

It is the season, so hopefully as fall hits it may slow down a bit.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you for the tips. I read that you should ignore the behavior and yes it is difficult. I figured he was picking up on my stress. I did try the books hanging upside down in his cage. He chewed on them then ignored them. Summer makes them pluck? @macawpower58 what is a soft dangly? I will take your suggestion about misting him again. That is one thing that I think that is really affecting his skin. I can understand he is bored. I really got excited when he chewed up cardboard, then nothing. I just want my happy bird back. Thank you so much for your help.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Not that it's summer, but breeding season hits in spring. Often calms a bit when fall hits.
This is a dangly. I made this one, but many places also sell similar items.
Chaos and dangly.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That picture of Chaos is a great one.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh wow, Paco would be terrified of it. I have tried to let him touch things, tell him everything I'm doing and even after 2 years he is still a scaredy cat of everything. For 21 years of his life he has been neglected, left alone in a filthy cage. It has taken a lot of work to get him to eat healthy and get the plucking under control. I will try the misting again. Thank you @macawpower58