• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello From Oahu Hawaii

Lea H-R

Moving in
Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum and thought I would say hello. I live in on Oahu Island in Hawaii, and was hoping to connect with other parrot loving folks on Oahu. I'm part of the Hawaiian Feathered Friends Network (a bird club) and we are always taking in rescued parrots, surrendered parrots, unwanted parrots, and parrots that just need a new home for whatever reason. There are so many.

We need people to provide safe loving homes to these parrots (fosters and adopters, etc.). We mainly connect with folks through FaceBook, but not everyone uses social media. If you're on Oahu, and would like to help a parrot in need, please let me know. We do require a home inspection to ensure the environment is safe for a parrot, and folks need to sign a contract saying they will not use the bird for breeding purposes, or sell/rehome the bird. If things don't work out for any reason, the bird must be returned to the club.

I know that may sound kind of strict, but we get folks reaching out to our group who are terminally ill and their last request is to make sure their beloved parrot is well-cared for and loved. We have humane society "insiders" who call us to pickup feral parrot babies because they don't want innocent babies euthanized. We have a fiduciary duty to make sure these birds get a good home. Are you on Oahu? Do you have the time and energy and space to devote to a parrot in need? If you do, please reach out to me.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Not in HI, but :welave:!!! And thank you for all you do for the birds in your area. :highfive:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the forum :)

I know that may sound kind of strict
That is only fair.

I wish you luck in finding new people to provide homes to the birds ❤

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue. :)
We do require a home inspection to ensure the environment is safe for a parrot, and folks need to sign a contract saying they will not use the bird for breeding purposes, or sell/rehome the bird. If things don't work out for any reason, the bird must be returned to the club.
I know that may sound kind of strict,
...no, that isn't strict at all...all the birds I've adopted at the different rescues I've worked with have the same rules...

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Lea H-R

Moving in
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to interacting with everyone.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome! I'm also not in Hawaii but what you do sounds very rewarding (and I'm sure at times, heartbreaking!)

Lea H-R

Moving in
and I'm sure at times, heartbreaking!
Yes, when we went into a rescue and saw 20+ birds that were neglected for a long time. Their cages were filthy, poop piled high like mountains overflowing the pans and onto the floor. Some had injuries that haven't been attended to in years. The hopelessness in the eyes of those birds, reminds you of images from people who were in concentration camps. Sunflower seed diets for the last 20+ years. I had to be strong and not show any emotion. No shock, no disgust, not one tear. The owners were there watching me, and if I made them feel uncomfortable or uneasy, they could change their minds and all those birds would stay in that filth. So I held it in, until we got the birds out of there and were safely driving down the road. Then the tears started to fall. When you see the birds later on, they have been eating really good food, they've been to a vet and have been treated for their injuries, and the life is back in their eyes. They are happy. I kept a few of the difficult to place birds from that rescue. They will live with my husband and I until we die. Then our daughter and grandson will take over any birds that outlive us.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, when we went into a rescue and saw 20+ birds that were neglected for a long time. Their cages were filthy, poop piled high like mountains overflowing the pans and onto the floor. Some had injuries that haven't been attended to in years. The hopelessness in the eyes of those birds, reminds you of images from people who were in concentration camps. Sunflower seed diets for the last 20+ years. I had to be strong and not show any emotion. No shock, no disgust, not one tear. The owners were there watching me, and if I made them feel uncomfortable or uneasy, they could change their minds and all those birds would stay in that filth. So I held it in, until we got the birds out of there and were safely driving down the road. Then the tears started to fall. When you see the birds later on, they have been eating really good food, they've been to a vet and have been treated for their injuries, and the life is back in their eyes. They are happy. I kept a few of the difficult to place birds from that rescue. They will live with my husband and I until we die. Then our daughter and grandson will take over any birds that outlive us.

My Ripley I found in much the same way. The water he had was green, the food was mixed with feces, and his cage was too small and covered in poop. He had just rusty bells to play with. 19 years living like that, and the owner didn't even have a name for him :( Overgrown beak, underweight, heart murmur, severe vitamin deficiency and respiratory issues.

Slowly he is getting healthier, and has more toys than he can destroy!

First Day
first day.jpg

Now
ripley1.jpg

I am glad I was happy to help one bird, but I don't think I have it in me to do that as a full time gig!

Lea H-R

Moving in
Is Mr Ripley a Jardine's parrot? I have a Jardine's. He is a rescue bird, another person rescued him and then he found his way to me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is Mr Ripley a Jardine's parrot? I have a Jardine's. He is a rescue bird, another person rescued him and then he found his way to me.

Yes he is :) I just adopted him in August

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You and everyone connected with your organization are truly angels among us.

When you say that to all you people, your answer is always, "No, not really...we're just doing what should be done to help."

...but we really DO know that you are :angel3: :angel3: :angel3:....

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum. I am always very impressed by the work and dedication that go into rescues and re-homes. Thank you for being the awesome person you are! :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! So glad you're here!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue