• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from New Brunswick Canada

Lori27lola

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lori Clark
I am a new bird mom I got a cockatiel about 2 months ago. The first month Lola would not let me touch her I started thinking she would never be friendly. About 2 weeks ago I put my hand it and she jumped on it but I still wasnt allowed to touch her. A few days later I took her out and she kept putting her head down so I touched it and she let me scratch her head. Fast forward to now she is obsessed with me no one else in the house can touch her she’ll only com3 to me. My question is I’m thinking of getting her a friend. I work 8 hours a day and feel terrible leaving her alone. I just don’t want her to bond with the new bird and forget about me. Will she still love me with a companio?

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! When I got my first tiel, I was told by some veteran tiel owners to never get a bird for your bird, just for your bird's sake. To only get a second bird if YOU want a second bird. There's not guarantee that 2 birds will get along. They may have to have separate cages- so twice the work, the expense, etc. That said, even if they don't get along, it is company for your bird even indirectly. And even if the birds bond, I think they will still want a relationship with you too. But if you've only had your tiel a couple months, I would maybe give it a little more time before making that decision.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome! My lovebird, Aoife, wouldn't step into my hand for a solid 3 months, no joke! Probably another 3 months before she'd let me touch her. Now... She wants scritches all the time! So you'll get there. Doing things on her terms and not forcing it is the best way to go, it makes for a solid relationship. Aoife is my first bird, too, although I now have four birds total, only my two linnies share a cage. I learned with her that a bird's trust has to be earned, they're very different from cats and dogs (I also have 3 cats), and it can take awhile, but will definitely be worth it.

If you are comfortable with the idea of having two cages and having to do separate out of cage time, then no big deal if they don't become friends. Tiels are pretty laid back, from what I hear. Having another bird around when you're not home, even if they aren't friends (like my birds) is usually beneficial for them, but of course is something to take your time in deciding. Do you leave a tv or radio on for her while you're gone?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Lori27lola

Real Name
Lori Clark
Welcome! My lovebird, Aoife, wouldn't step into my hand for a solid 3 months, no joke! Probably another 3 months before she'd let me touch her. Now... She wants scritches all the time! So you'll get there. Doing things on her terms and not forcing it is the best way to go, it makes for a solid relationship. Aoife is my first bird, too, although I now have four birds total, only my two linnies share a cage. I learned with her that a bird's trust has to be earned, they're very different from cats and dogs (I also have 3 cats), and it can take awhile, but will definitely be worth it.

If you are comfortable with the idea of having two cages and having to do separate out of cage time, then no big deal if they don't become friends. Tiels are pretty laid back, from what I hear. Having another bird around when you're not home, even if they aren't friends (like my birds) is usually beneficial for them, but of course is something to take your time in deciding. Do you leave a tv or radio on for her while you're gone?
Yes I always leave the radio on. I never thought I could love a bird this much. I want all of them loll. I just didn’t want to lose the progress I’ve made with my tiel by getting her a friend. I already have a second cage ready so I think I’m leaning towards getting another I just thought this would b3vthe best place to see if it’s a good decision. Thank you!!!

Lori27lola

Real Name
Lori Clark

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Lori and Lola! :starshower1:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Welcome! Wonderful pictures of you and your friend :)

i would always get two birds, for as much as they may love you, there’s only so much a human can provide :)
and to see parrots interact with eachother, its a whole world in its own right :)

this does in no way have to deminish your friendship with either birds, you can get them as tame as you like :heart:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Welcome! Wonderful pictures of you and your friend :)

i would always get two birds, for as much as they may love you, there’s only so much a human can provide :)
and to see parrots interact with eachother, its a whole world in its own right :)

this does in no way have to deminish your friendship with either birds, you can get them as tame as you like :heart:
Absolutely! My two male linnies are a bonded pair and I love watching them preen each other. They also fly together and will call to each other if they are in different parts of the room. They do bicker from time to time, but that's expected!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on all the progress you’ve made with your ‘tiel.