• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Jess and Sky!

JessAndSky

Moving in
Real Name
Jessica Lea
I got Skyler (Severe Macaw) when she was a baby and I was 15. Now she's 21 and still thriving! We're about to make the move from Virginia to Salt Lake City next week so I've been prepping her for her first plane ride. Any tips would be appreciated! I wrapped her perch in the plane approved carrying case in VetRap so she won't slip off of it. I also have a Birdy Buddy in there and a couple Beak Buddies Chompers to keep her occupied. She has little cups I'm going to put her Roudybush in with a grape, bit of banana and a bit of apple (her favs), but I'm hoping I can get some water in a dish without it spilling everywhere. Or do you suppose the moisture from the fruits will be sufficient? She usually drinks out of a waterbottle, but drinks out of a bowl of fresh water in her sleeping cage just before she turns in each night. I just hope she isn't terrified because she is quite the scaredy bird.

Last week the vet diagnosed her with arthritic feet and prescribed gabapentin. She has a variety of perches including dragonwood, manzanita, concrete and rope, as well as some flat ones and PVC wrapped in VetRap on her playgym. What else can I do for her?

I'm so happy to be a part of your community - thanks for having us!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :hiya:

The water will likely spill, I personally would just add a few grapes or other wet fruits like apple, orange etc. @Hankmacaw used to travel a bit with her macaws in a RV but I am not sure about plane travel.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA! :)

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
Welcome! And also welcome to Utah! :D So happy to welcome a fellow bird lover to SLC! I wish you the best of luck with your travels!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
:hello1: Welcome to the avenue! :welcome2:
:needpics: