• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello from Alberta!

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
I've been lurking here for a while but finally had to register to say how much I love this forum. I had budgies and zebra finches when I was a kid/teen. And my mom usually had a canary. But I'm now on a waiting list with a stellar breeder for a GCC. I just got my oldest daughter a budgie as well (Sherlock, Shirley for short).

I have had the damndest time finding a cage for my soon-to-be-fid. The first one I ordered I bought based on the dimensions not realizing that it was the exterior dimensions including the seed guard that I didn't even install. :facepalm: It wasn't even the minimum recommended 24x24. So after assembling it and setting up all the toys and perches I had to sell it. The second I ordered was great but then Cages 4 Less called to tell me shipping across the border would be an extra $300 USD. Oof.:wideyed:

I've been looking and looking and looking for a large cage that was at least 24 deep and nice and wide (I wanted bigger than the minimum) but everything big enough had way too wide bar spacing! :banghead:

Thanks to Avian Avenue I found out that you can make a few small changes to the assembly process of the Midwest Critter Nation cage to adapt it for birds and that it's the same material as their bird cages! Now I've got the perfect cage being delivered tomorrow! And that's just the tip of the iceberg for what I've been learning here. :heart: So thank you to all you lovely bird people for sharing your wisdom!

Now I just have to wait the torturous 5-6 months for my breeder to have any available clutches. :( In the mean time I'm continuing to learn and making lots of diy toys and diy playstands for my bird and my daughter's budgie.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome! The wait will feel so long but it's so worth it :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcome2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello: :welave:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue! 1.welcome signs.gif

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Welcome! So excited for your new bird - they're going to have an amazing home if you're making toys for 6 mos. I'm in Toronto and it's been hard getting supplies from the US. Our big Canada Post warehouse recently shut down their customs dept due to an outbreak. This is super selfish but my first thought was "but my pellets!!!" Thank goodness this forum is awesome for workarounds.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Welcome to the avenue! Excited to see you around :hug8:

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
:hello: & :welcomesign:

I got my Bailey from a breeder here in Trail, BC.
Sweetheart parrots. Check her out as she seems to have a few clutches a year and they are the most wonderfully socialized babies. Depending where you are she may be close enough to pick up though I know she ships but not sure if she would at this time of year. We are four hours from them on the bc side and they met us halfway with Bailey.

just in case the other breeder does not work out. Bailey is high red yellow sided and a real sweetie.

all the best, :heart: :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

jmae

Checking out the neighborhood
I've been lurking here for a while but finally had to register to say how much I love this forum. I had budgies and zebra finches when I was a kid/teen. And my mom usually had a canary. But I'm now on a waiting list with a stellar breeder for a GCC. I just got my oldest daughter a budgie as well (Sherlock, Shirley for short).

I have had the damndest time finding a cage for my soon-to-be-fid. The first one I ordered I bought based on the dimensions not realizing that it was the exterior dimensions including the seed guard that I didn't even install. :facepalm: It wasn't even the minimum recommended 24x24. So after assembling it and setting up all the toys and perches I had to sell it. The second I ordered was great but then Cages 4 Less called to tell me shipping across the border would be an extra $300 USD. Oof.:wideyed:

I've been looking and looking and looking for a large cage that was at least 24 deep and nice and wide (I wanted bigger than the minimum) but everything big enough had way too wide bar spacing! :banghead:

Thanks to Avian Avenue I found out that you can make a few small changes to the assembly process of the Midwest Critter Nation cage to adapt it for birds and that it's the same material as their bird cages! Now I've got the perfect cage being delivered tomorrow! And that's just the tip of the iceberg for what I've been learning here. :heart: So thank you to all you lovely bird people for sharing your wisdom!

Now I just have to wait the torturous 5-6 months for my breeder to have any available clutches. :( In the mean time I'm continuing to learn and making lots of diy toys and diy playstands for my bird and my daughter's budgie.
I would like to know who you talked to cause I just called them about an hour ago and was told that they could not recommend the Critter Nation for birds cause the coating has not been tested safe for birds. She said birds are very sensitive to things and they could not say if there would be to much zinc , iron etc in the coating that might not be good for them. I was looking at them too but I didn't want to take a chance of poisoning my birds. So I'd really like to know who and where you got the info you did.
Thanks

TinyDino

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Holly
I would like to know who you talked to cause I just called them about an hour ago and was told that they could not recommend the Critter Nation for birds cause the coating has not been tested safe for birds. She said birds are very sensitive to things and they could not say if there would be to much zinc , iron etc in the coating that might not be good for them. I was looking at them too but I didn't want to take a chance of poisoning my birds. So I'd really like to know who and where you got the info you did.
Thanks
It was someone here on Avian Avenue that said they called and were told that they can't officially recommendthr Critter Nation for birds but that it's the same material as their bird cages. I don't remember the user name but maybe searching the forum for "critter nation" will bring up the thread?