• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello. First time bird owner.

Basil♡

Moving in
Hi. I have a non releasable bluejay that has joined my household and he is currently cage free except for while sleeping. He sleeps in his cage at night. I need advise on how to keep my home bird safe/ bird friendly and poop free. So far, I see he likes to chip paint off of doors so I repainted them and laminated the top part. I also see he likes to hang off of my ceiling fans and hanging lamp shades. I gave into the ceiling fans but I don't want him on my lampshades or curtains. I bought him and installed a hanging basket in the living room and he wants nothing to do with it. He only likes what is forbidden. Lol. I would like ideas on how to live in harmony with your bird while still having a beautiful functional home. All advise is welcomed.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Hello welcome!
For a bird safe house make sure you don't spray any chemicals or have any bleach around them. Another thing is open flame and candles are not allowed around your bird. Don't leave fans on or cook when your bird is in the room. Also don't paint with your bird in the same room or where they can smell the fumes. Oh and no smoke either!
That's all I can think of for safety but I'm sure others have some input.
:welcome:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wow. Bluejays are corvids and corvids are noted as being the worst avian pets when confined. I can't think of a thing right now, other than building him a large outdoor enclosure and bringing him inside enough to keep him gentle. They are very mechanical and very food motivated.

I wish you luck

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Poop is a constant battle and your best weapons are coverings. I have a few places in my house where the birds "poop over the edge" of something. I put newspaper down in those spots. I keep my couch covered with a soft, fuzzy, and most importantly, machine-washable blanket.

Keeping them off forbidden areas is a bit trickier and depends in large part on the surface involved. One of my birds kept landing on the TV (I get it - it was winter, his feet were chilly, and the TV was warm). I blocked his access by running a line of aluminum foil along the top edge of the screen. It's shiny and light, and if he flies too close, the air currents move it around in a way that spooks him, and he no longer tries to land there. I also had to watch him at first to make sure he didn't try to chew the foil, as it can be toxic. I've heard of people using balloons in a similar "scarecrow" fashion, although I haven't tried them myself.

As a general rule, though, instead of focusing on where he shouldn't land, try to set up lots of fun places he CAN land and work on making them fun and alluring so he actually wants to go to them. Stuff to climb and play on, toys, foraging opportunities, water features, etc. For every place you block off, set up an acceptable alternative.

You can certainly have a functional home with birds. Beautiful? Eh - that depends on your definition of beautiful. As long as you like the look of bird toys and rope nets and boings, you'll be fine. If you're going for a Better Homes and Gardens spread... some people seem to make it work, but personally, I decided long ago I could either be house-proud or have pets. I don't have the energy for both.

Basil♡

Moving in
Hello welcome!
For a bird safe house make sure you don't spray any chemicals or have any bleach around them. Another thing is open flame and candles are not allowed around your bird. Don't leave fans on or cook when your bird is in the room. Also don't paint with your bird in the same room or where they can smell the fumes. Oh and no smoke either!
That's all I can think of for safety but I'm sure others have some input.
:welcome:
Thanks! Yes I dont use harsh chemicals like bleach. I use vinegar water or special bird poop spray I found. :)

Basil♡

Moving in
Poop is a constant battle and your best weapons are coverings. I have a few places in my house where the birds "poop over the edge" of something. I put newspaper down in those spots. I keep my couch covered with a soft, fuzzy, and most importantly, machine-washable blanket.

Keeping them off forbidden areas is a bit trickier and depends in large part on the surface involved. One of my birds kept landing on the TV (I get it - it was winter, his feet were chilly, and the TV was warm). I blocked his access by running a line of aluminum foil along the top edge of the screen. It's shiny and light, and if he flies too close, the air currents move it around in a way that spooks him, and he no longer tries to land there. I also had to watch him at first to make sure he didn't try to chew the foil, as it can be toxic. I've heard of people using balloons in a similar "scarecrow" fashion, although I haven't tried them myself.

As a general rule, though, instead of focusing on where he shouldn't land, try to set up lots of fun places he CAN land and work on making them fun and alluring so he actually wants to go to them. Stuff to climb and play on, toys, foraging opportunities, water features, etc. For every place you block off, set up an acceptable alternative.

You can certainly have a functional home with birds. Beautiful? Eh - that depends on your definition of beautiful. As long as you like the look of bird toys and rope nets and boings, you'll be fine. If you're going for a Better Homes and Gardens spread... some people seem to make it work, but personally, I decided long ago I could either be house-proud or have pets. I don't have the energy for both.
Thanks. It does seem like they like to land on specific areas only. I put paper towels down on the spots I know he will perch on and do a poop sweep every evening to wash any spot he dropped on the floor. And of course pick up as soon as I see it. Yes as much as I would like a better home and gardens home, I know that's impossible with pets. I have 2 bunnies that free roam and love chewing on baseboards lol. I've noticed the best thing to do is prevent things from happening or have a plan to fix things for when it does happen. I think because birds are all different, ill have to learn tricks and tips as I go. :) q

Basil♡

Moving in
Wow. Bluejays are corvids and corvids are noted as being the worst avian pets when confined. I can't think of a thing right now, other than building him a large outdoor enclosure and bringing him inside enough to keep him gentle. They are very mechanical and very food motivated.

I wish you luck
Yes! Very food motivated, and very naughty! I definitely have my hands full for now. I am planning on building an outdoor enclosure as he gets bigger before he hits sexual maturity. If I am not able to soft release him in the fall, he will have to stay home with me. I've been told by a corvid rehabber that there is a high chance he will never be releasable and "wild" even if put in an aviary with other blue jays. We will see what happens. :)

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
FYI: You do know it's not legal to keep any native bird as a pet in the USA. Even the Rehabber's can't legally keep them as a pet. However I say do what you can for him & work toward getting him able to be released if possible.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. What about trying a play stand or java tree for him?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He may be releasable, but he may consider you and your place as his home territory - that's not bad. Many ravens have been released after maturity and stuck around near where they were cared for. All corvids are extremely intelligent. If you can read one of Bernd Heinrichs books, preferably "Mind of the Raven" and it will give you great insight into corvids.

Good luck - LOL

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you are keeping him indoors, is it possible to make one room just for him? You could keep that room bird safe and not worry about him damaging the rest of your house.