• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone!

Tessiebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
Hi I'm Taylor and I'm a first time bird owner. My cinnamon conure is Tessie and she's five months old at the time of me writing this. We've had her for six days and she's the sweetest love bug. She wasn't handled much at the store where we got her but she loves cuddling and preening us already. She can step up and is somewhat potty trained already. If anyone has any tips or anything they'd be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA & congrats on getting Tessie. She's cute!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome :greet13:

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Welcome to AA!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Tessie!

Make sure you go on down to "Conure Court" and check it out. It's a great place to ask questions...:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Although I know there are advantages to potty training (my foster bird right now actually is but I didn't teach him), it's actually not recommended for birds. Especially little birds. They can't "hold" it like dogs and if they hold it too long it can actually make them sick. So there's always the risk of what happens if they can't get to their potty place that they hold it too long. Just something to be cautious of. :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:welcomesign:
Congratulations on Tessie!

Tessiebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
Welcome to the forum! Although I know there are advantages to potty training (my foster bird right now actually is but I didn't teach him), it's actually not recommended for birds. Especially little birds. They can't "hold" it like dogs and if they hold it too long it can actually make them sick. So there's always the risk of what happens if they can't get to their potty place that they hold it too long. Just something to be cautious of. :)
Yeah I let her potty when she's out with me, it's more of a 'learn to go on the towel' type thing which is great because we always have a towel out with her.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yeah I let her potty when she's out with me, it's more of a 'learn to go on the towel' type thing which is great because we always have a towel out with her.
The more time you and Tessie spend together, the more you'll pick up on the body language that means something's coming. ;)

I always tell this story on myself....We do birdie visits to schools, nursing homes, etc. Cassie (our first 'too) was sitting in my hand at a nursing home when "the wiggle" began...a poop was coming!
Anyway, Cass pooped....and I stuck my other hand out, caught the poop, and kept right on talking...:wideyed:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
The more time you and Tessie spend together, the more you'll pick up on the body language that means something's coming. ;)

I always tell this story on myself....We do birdie visits to schools, nursing homes, etc. Cassie (our first 'too) was sitting in my hand at a nursing home when "the wiggle" began...a poop was coming!
Anyway, Cass pooped....and I stuck my other hand out, caught the poop, and kept right on talking...:wideyed:
Now that is a good parront! :rofl:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome