• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hello everyone

Isaac's Mom

Checking out the neighborhood
I just bought a parakeet from a breeder. After one day I saw that his stools was loose and he didn't have too many stools. I think he only had about 5 stools for the day. I contacted that seller and he said that they reason was that he gave it vinegar water to clean out it's system and that he would be fine in 2 or 3 days. It's now the second day and I don't know what I'll find when I get home yet but I figured since I saw some conversations here on vinegar water perhaps someone can tell me if this makes sense to them.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i do not know but welcome

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome. Is he eating? Stress can make a bird have loose droppings but it can also be illness.

@Hankmacaw ?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
what type of vinegar: white or apple cider vinegar?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What do you mean by clean out his system? The budgie breeder I used gave me a pro biotic to put in the water for 2 weeks to help any gi stress symptoms. Vinegar is harsh for a young bird. Are you feeding the food that the breeder used? Don't feed any greens until the droppings look normal.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Budgies are very prone to macrorhabdus and loose stools can certainly be a symptom of that. Please contact a vet and have your little one checked out. It can be diagnosed with a very simple fecal test. Only defecating 5 times in one day is very concerning for a bird this size.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
AGREE ^^^

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird! You should always get a new bird checked out by a vet anyway, so a vet check would be a good idea. When I first got one of my birds, the first day or two she hardly pooped at all because she was nervous about being in a new house and not eating. Hope your little bird is okay!