• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everyone, looking for insight

Petzal

Moving in
Hi! Welcome, I have experience with medium birds such as cockatiels (if you consider getting one) they are so fun, loving, and interesting. You can teach them so many tricks, you can teach them to play games, and if you don’t have a TON of time for your cockatiel, if your ready, get him or her a friend, the two of them will keep each other company. I suggest if you do decide getting two, get them of the same gender they won’t be super attached to each other as if they were a pair (Trust me I know) lol my cockatiels were super attached to each other they didn’t want anything to do with me! :laugh-bounce:

Harper :tieln:

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Something else to consider is that cockatoos, greys and amazons live for a long time. Given that you are 46, if you buy a baby (and baring any accident or unforeseen health issue), there is a good chance it will outlive you, or at least live past the point where you can reasonably care for it. I would encourage you to adopt an older bird if you can, but failing that, do make sure you have a solid contingency for its care later in life.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi! if you don't mind, I would just like to say: DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!! :) You need to figure out what you want in a bird how much you can pay, and how much trouble you can handle! I also suggest starting small. And more quick thing, The smaller the bird, the bigger the mess. The larger the bird the harder it bites.

My birbs: :budgie8: :budgie:
Taiyo and Spring
This is not meant to be a deterrent from the larger species of birds but this thread I'm attaching includes bites from smaller birds too. I think it's a worthy look through the pages so you actually see what many of us endure with caring for big and small. Not for the squeamish but if you have thick skin and the most forgiving heart for unwanted behavior then you might consider one of the larger species. Knowledge is everything and then there are days we know nothing on how to curb certain types of behavior... it's a learning process. We have a lot of caring members here on AA to help guide you through.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Forgot to say "Welcome"... and thanks for joining to ask questions. While you may have an interest in Amazons or greys you may well be surprised at what species of bird will really steal your heart and best fit into your life. How much room do you have in your home that you can dedicate to a feathered companion may also be another deciding factor as well as how much time can you devote to the care. My take on ads from people who are rehoming their birds that clearly state "experience is a must have" can mean the bird listed has behavior issues that may be difficult to handle, or they care so deeply for the bird they are having to rehome they're looking for someone who will give the best care, knowledge of the species, be capable of caring if difficulties arise and are trying to weed out buyers that may not give their bird a good home.