• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello Everyone! Babies...but I don't want one!

Artesmia

Moving in
Good day everyone!

I have been reading the posts for a few days but I haven't seen anything about my particular problem. You see...I don't want a baby bird.:faint:

Our family had an imported yellow headed Amazon that passed down for 142 years. He passed
away finally of fatty liver disease but I like to think he had a good life with us.

Now that he has been gone for 5 years I am ready to find a new family member.
The "rescues" I've seen take birds in but they never go out.

I've looked on craigslist but all I see are young Toos and Greys. I am really wanting a white capped pionus and everyone says "just buy a baby". I don't want a baby. I want an adult bird. When I say that it seems very shocking to so many people. They get angry. I hope I found the right place. :unsure1:

I loved reading about everyone's birds and it seems many of you have "rehomes". Did you get babies first?

Wishing you and your birds a good day :fairy:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We got our first bird from PetSmart; he was under a year. He was young, but not exactly a baby. All of our others have been older rehomes.

Is there a reason you don't want a young bird? How old of a bird are you hoping to find?

Arizona, California and Texas? That's a heck of a homestead. :nighttime:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. 142 years...that is very impressive! There are many rescues that adopt birds out but what is available to you depends on your location. You certainly are spread out with 3 states being listed.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. Surprise, surprise there are many of us who are members of this forum who much prefer adult birds. My two were acquired at 18 yo and 6 1/2 yo. Personally, I'm way beyond the puppy, kitten, baby bird stage. I much appreciate the settled personality of adults.

Some on AA got their birds when the bird was 30, 40+ years old.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

I have a STRONG preference for adult birds...the last "true" baby we acquired was Titan, the IRN...27 years ago. We bought him from a breeder just after he was weaned...when he was about 12 weeks old...

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA!

I am in the camp of preferring adult birds too :) Sam was around 21ish (probably around 25 now from what information I was told, vet said he could be anywhere from 20-40) when I brought him home. If/when I get another, I'll seek out another adult/older-adult bird, I wouldn't want to get a baby either, if I'm honest.

Artesmia

Moving in
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone!

It is nice to know so many other people prefer adult birds. I am caring for my Mom in California but live in Arizona and travel to Texas often for work. That is why I have a wide area listed.

Our Amazon went us on vacation to the Ocean. He traveled under plane seats and in his travel cage in cars. He went in a hot air ball with my Aunt. My Uncle was a rancher and he took him out on the tractor, and he even rode on a Navy ship with my Great Grandfather.

I was his boring owner. He only rode under plane seats.:shy:
Of course we know better then to do that kind of thing now.:angelic:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like your 'zon had an interesting life. :)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi!! Welcome!! I too much prefer older birds. My heart bird Zane was a senior bird and he was amazing!! Personally I like the the fact they are more settled into their personalities. I wish you the best of luck finding your next bird. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Robert Schulz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Robert
My first bird (male sun conure) I got as a baby. I believe it was right for me since I had never owned a bird and wouldn't have known what to do with an adult bird who may have had "drama".
Fast forward a few years, I adopted a 5 year old male B&G and was in way over my head in terms of what he brought to the table. Eight months into our relationship and it has been a very rewarding experience. Starting where he'd constantly scream and lunge when I was around, to now where he'll groom my hair and let me preen his feathers.
If I were looking for another bird, I'd start by looking in the classified ads and seek out another bird in need.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! I think your Bird had a more interesting life then mine!

My husband & I have talked about another birdy baby since getting Buddy last year. We have a also talked about another adult. I know Buddy is in the 20-25 yr range. Neither of us want to deal w/ the younger version & deal w/ puberty. So right now I agree Adults set in their ways. Hubby sleeping so I'm not positive of the answer but if I'd guess. He'd love a baby / another adult. Probably the one that he felt would be less likely to get a home (so it'd be the Adult). If I guessed....

:welcomesign:

Rain

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Not only have I never had a baby, I've never had a younger bird. I guess the older ones tug at my heart. I hope you find the bird your looking for. There are so many parrots out there in need of good homes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!