• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello everone! My two budgies will not be tamed. Help!!!!????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I have two cute young budgies that I bought two weeks ago. I took them to the Avian vet for a well checkup and to have their wings clipped. I have been spending on average 4 hours a day with them, trying desperately to tame them. I put my hand in the cage with bird seed in it and I wait there for 15 minutes 3 times a day. I sing to them, talk to them, and turn on music for them and they still won't be tamed. I let them out of their cage one day and it was a disaster. They would not go back in the cage after several hours and were terrified. I had to chase them around for an hour and catch them to put them back in the cage. What am doing wrong? Is there any literature or videos I can buy that would help/ Anyone have any advice? Thank you SO much! :confused:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Hi! Welcome to Avian Avenue! I unfortunately don't own any budgies, but lots of people here do! We have a whole forum dedicated to budgies, as well as a behavior section that might have some tips and tricks. Also, if you'd like, we have a Welcome Lane area where you could go introduce yourself to everyone. We love meeting new people! :)

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
2 weeks?! It takes a LOT longer than that. I've had my budgie for 6 months and he still won't even eat in front of me. :lol: He'll step up only if he's flown to the floor and wants back up on the cage. That's the only love I get from him! Did the girl at the pet store tell you he would be tame in just a few weeks? That's what they told me and like you, I was completely devasted and confused when he still didn't like me. You just have to be patient. :dancing:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Welcome to the neighborhood. Your new fids are still getting used to their new home with you so it is normal they are a bit scared and hesitant to interact with you. I'm not a budgie parront but i would suggest to start over and try a new slower approach. First off, take your hand out of the cage. You want them to come to you when they are ready. Continue to talk and sing to them. Offer them millet sprigs by holding it through the bars of their cage every day. You want to teach them to trust you so you have to go by their pace. Going slow now will make for a stronger bond later. :) The budgie parronts will be along soon to give you more help. :hug8:

Attachments

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oops, DUR. I didn't realize this post already *was* in Welcome Lane. See, sometimes I wish I could say I was blonde, just so I would have an excuse! But alas, no. I'm just dim-witted sometimes. Well, welcome to Avian Avenue anyway!
:o:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome I am glad you joined :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Hello and welcome!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Two weeks is a very short time. Also, I think it's probably harder because the two of them have each other. I would think it's a lot easier to tame them when they have only you as company. I'm not advocating that you separate them; I'm just saying I've often found that to be the case.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I agree with everyone else, two weeks is a very short time. Budgies can be challenging to tame you REALLY have to take your time, even if they are young. Don't take them out of the cage, just continue to sit next to it and read to them or just ignore them so they get used to your presence.

Try feeing milley spray and experiment holding it different ways. Many of my budgies warmed up and began eating from my hand after I changed how I was holding the millet starting out with holding it very far from them at first.

It can take time, move slowly at their pace. If you try and go too fast too soon you will break any trust you may have built.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Welcome to the neighborhood. Your new fids are still getting used to their new home with you so it is normal they are a bit scared and hesitant to interact with you. I'm not a budgie parront but i would suggest to start over and try a new slower approach. First off, take your hand out of the cage. You want them to come to you when they are ready. Continue to talk and sing to them. Offer them millet sprigs by holding it through the bars of their cage every day. You want to teach them to trust you so you have to go by their pace. Going slow now will make for a stronger bond later. :) The budgie parronts will be along soon to give you more help. :hug8:
I agree Marie, you can feed millet through the bars, or just put the millet inside the door but with your hand outside the cage and the door sort of closed on the millet. Eventually, you will be able to put your hand inside with the millet in it. Eventually, they will hop onto your hand to take the millet, but it takes a lot of time.

ThatDarnBird

Hi and welcome. :welcome2: I think you're trying a bit too hard with your new babies. Budgies are flighty little things and very strong willed. Two weeks really isn't that long. Remember this is a relationship that will continue to evolve over years, you're only at the beginning. I've never really agreed with the advice most pet stores give, which is usually to start right away with taming them. I think it's best to let them be for a little while and try to disturb them as little as possible. They need to feel their new home is safe before they start thinking you are safe. Think of it as you needing to get to know them as opposed to them needing to get to know you. These little guys have big personalities and once you get to know them better you'll have an easier time adjusting to them and what they want. I have two budgies and one of them took around 6 months to before he was friendly with us at all and it was nearly a year before he really blossomed.

We'd love to see pictures!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to say welcome aboard. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.