• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hello cat people. i have other questions.

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
so, at first i wanted to buy a kitten from a breeder (there is no known shelter in my city, i know, sucks).

but then again i saw a post about someone who wanted to rehome his 3 months old cat, and frankly, its for free, and its a cute little cat. his owner said that it was already potty trained and had the basic vaccinations.

my question is really simple actually:

how do i make the cat's transition as peaceful and positive as possible? obviously changing homes is something stressful for a cat, but i wanna make it as stress-free as possible.

if you got any tips they're all welcome :D

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We have always just let them be when we have brought a new cat into the house. We just leave them alone to get to know the place. We always show where the litter box, food, and water are. Then typically the cat will go hide. When they are comfortable they will start to venture out. This has only been our case with older cats that came from a different home. The kittens we have adopted usually warm right up and don't feel the need to hide.

Very much like a bird warming up to a new owner. Go at the animals pace.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I have never heard of a cat breeder.o_O What in the world

Anyways. Thank you for adopting! I wish you and your cutie the best!:strshow:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have never heard of a cat breeder
Of course there are humans that breed cats. Mostly the breeds that one would recognize like Siamese, Maine Coon, Abyssinian, American Bobtail, Balinese, Bengal, Birman, Bombay, Britich short hair, Burmese, Chartreux and more. If you are interested look up when and where the next cat show is and attend it so you will see some of these beautiful kitties.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they are super skittish I will give them a bedroom all to themselves for a few days with food, water, litterbox, and leave them alone, but let them come out at night when everyone else is asleep.

3 months is still a kitten and likely will be ready to come and explore right away :) Make sure you feed them the same food as they currently are getting, as some cats are really picky, and changing food abruptly can cause tummy issues.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
That is interesting. Where I live, you go to the shelter, or ask around.
I can see the fancy breeds being sought after. Kinda strange to me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes the cat world is full of high priced cats just like the dog world is. So I guess you do not have any cat shows to go to. Its better if people do get one from a shelter. I got two beautiful kitties from another person. One was a Norwegian Forest cat and the second one came later from a shelter was a Maine Coon kitty. Both long haired and beautiful. This is a photo of the Maine Coon. I cannot show you the other one as the photo is only on paper. I can show you an image from the net however.

1599059106009.png

Attachments

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Yes the cat world is full of high priced cats just like the dog world is. So I guess you do not have any cat shows to go to. Its better if people do get one from a shelter. I got two beautiful kitties from another person. One was a Norwegian Forest cat and the second one came later from a shelter was a Maine Coon kitty. Both long haired and beautiful. This is a photo of the Maine Coon. I cannot show you the other one as the photo is only on paper. I can show you an image from the net however.

View attachment 352148

OMG- that cat is a beauty!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I loved going to cat shows. Now they have obstacle courses for cats to run, the owner has to direct them on the true path of the course and it can get really interesting when one of the cats decides they would rather explore than run the course!!! You know, cats: the teenagers of the animal family
`

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
@PopsDops did you get the kitty?
not really

i've been lookingonline for cats that needed rehoming in my city and i've found two
one is a siamese 4months old kitten, and the others are a bunch of "normal" kittens, probably 2-4 months old.

i've been chatting with the owners but still havent decided

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
not really

i've been lookingonline for cats that needed rehoming in my city and i've found two
one is a siamese 4months old kitten, and the others are a bunch of "normal" kittens, probably 2-4 months old.

i've been chatting with the owners but still havent decided

"Normal"? are you saying that a Siamese is not normal? :)

PopsDops

Strolling the yard
Real Name
PopsDops
"Normal"? are you saying that a Siamese is not normal? :)
lol thats not what i meant lol.

i guess they're the type who're called mixed breeds or idk. i.e like street cats, you wouldnt find a siamese or maine coon for example roaming the streets xD

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Do you already have any cats? Moving to a new location is stressful of course, but with there being an established cat in the home that can be rough. I got super lucky with mine, I have 3, 2 boys and 1 girl. They pretty much were all friends within a week, it was unbelievable! I think the main reason is that the boys completely respect that the girl cat is 100% Top Cat. ;)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My friends adopted a "random" cat several years ago who turned out to be the spitting image of a Norwegian forest cat! My Percy looks totally like Russian Blue, but he's definitely just a mix.

GoDucks

Real Name
Jamie
lol thats not what i meant lol.

i guess they're the type who're called mixed breeds or idk. i.e like street cats, you wouldnt find a siamese or maine coon for example roaming the streets xD

If you don't know the ancestry of a cat, or it doesn't come from a breeder, than it falls into the category of DSH or DLH. And I knew exactly what you meant, i was just teasing you, and besides, everyone knows that Siamese cats aren't normal. That's common knowledge. :)