• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! Baby quaker

Mariadfern

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Hello everyone! I recently got a baby Quaker parrot. He’s about a month old, and we notice one of his leg looked off. We’re not sure if this because he’s still young and can’t support his weight. Is it normal for baby ? He’s stand up normally on his leg now. The photos I posted are a week apart.

Attachments

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
:welave: I have a few questions first. First, I'll assume that the quaker isn't weaned. Do you have experience with unweaned/baby birds? If not, I would highly suggest bringing the bird to your avian vet to make sure you're doing things right for the bird. As for the foot, the second pic showed the foot pretty much healed. As long as he has no difficulty moving (for a parrot his age) then he SHOULD be fine, but I would suggest calling you avian vet just to be sure. But please, make sure that you know/have experience with baby bird before going solo on caring for the bird. I mean like, ask your vet or someone experienced with baby birds if they could help you with the bird. Basically a mentor.

@Tiel Feathers
@Hankmacaw
@Monica
@finchly

Btw, your bird is adorable!

Mariadfern

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Thank you for responding!
Yes, I’ve weaned a baby Quaker before just not this small. I was just wanted to know if this was normal or common with them being a month old. I do plan on taking him to the vet to get him check out.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
I'd still say that unless he has difficulty moving and/or the foot doesn't get better, then the foot should be fine until he can get to a vet. ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If there is a chance for splayed leg, then you want to take action now - not wait.

Mariadfern

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
If there is a chance for splayed leg, then you want to take action now - not wait.
We believe it could be that. Although it’s no longer in that same position as the first photo I posted.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Does he sleep in something supportive for his still-growing feet and legs? That's why nests are the way they are, and why nest boxes should be lined with shavings and so forth. These things help prevent splay legs.

Welcome!

Reactions: tka

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
then the foot should be fine until he can get to a vet.
No, with feet/leg issues, beak issues with rapidly growing chicks, waiting is not the answer. They need attention as soon as possible to have a chance in correction.

100%

Welcome to the Avenue Maria, I hope you can get to a vet as soon as possible :)

Mariadfern

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
Does he sleep in something supportive for his still-growing feet and legs? That's why nests are the way they are, and why nest boxes should be lined with shavings and so forth. These things help prevent splay legs.

Welcome!
Yes!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What is that? It looks like a glass jar...

Mariadfern

Moving in
Real Name
Maria
No, it’s not. When we got him at the pet store the man suggested we put in this aquarium with the pine shavings. He’s getting bigger so we’re moving him to something bigger. I have a large cage from my pervious Quaker, but he’s too small for it.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Welcome

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's best to use a 5 or 10 gallon aquarium.... preferably at least a 10 gallon with heat on one side with a thermometer and hygrometer to watch temp and humidity for the chick.

If the leg is normal all the time, then you may have nothing to worry about. If it's only some of the time though, there could be lasting effects by waiting to see a vet. Splayed legs is possible to fix - but only at an early age.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden