• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello @alleykt123!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi @alleykt123 I saw a pic of your handsome Linnie. Come join us over here and tell us all about him!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
There are two linnies in that pic!

alleykt123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
Than you for the welcomes!

Howard started out with my Aunt, a dedicated dog rescuer. She met someone who bred Linnies as a hobby and fell in love with the baby. She’s had a lot of experience with canaries, but didn’t understand the ways of parrots. Howard would snuggle with her and my uncle, along with doggies.

She became worried that the dogs would get a hold of Howard, so she asked if I would take him in. I had lost a budgie to old age several months earlier and really missed the companionship and chatter. I agreed and quickly fell in love with the little boy. He came to me at 6 months old, and I got to “enjoy” the temper tantrums, which went away after a short time.

At the time, I had a 10 year old Norwegian Forest cat who came to me as a rescued kitten. Po grew up with a bird in the house and had no problem with Howard. They would even eat pet grass together, always with supervision. I don’t recommend this to most, but I knew enough about Po’s temperament and personality to feel safe in this situation.

The one thing that concerned me the most was the seagull-type poop coming out - what was wrong with this bird?! I was used to Budgie poo and this was alarming. Quick google on Linnie poop assured me that it was normal. The odd thing is when I did research before bringing Howard home, it wasn’t really mentioned...

upload_2019-10-4_14-41-47.jpeg

Here he is with one of his toys. He has been encouraged to love them, rather than my foot...

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Oh yes, linnie poop is quite something. I think I'd read about it, but you don't really understand until you deal with it. I have two housed together so just imagine....

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! So nice to meet you and hear about your lovely flock! I have posted ad nauseam about my Gigi. :) I had never heard of a Linnie until 18 months ago when I brought my girl home. I think Linnies are such interesting birds, way more complicated than you would believe by reading the internet, or maybe that's just Gigi, lol.

The one thing that concerned me the most was the seagull-type poop coming out - what was wrong with this bird?! I was used to Budgie poo and this was alarming. Quick google on Linnie poop assured me that it was normal. The odd thing is when I did research before bringing Howard home, it wasn’t really mentioned...
Haha, not a great selling point. It's unbelievable, but luckily Gigi does her massive first AM poop the same place in the cage each day, so I triple the paper towels. She doesn't come out of the cage until it happens. I can actually say it to her- "You can't come out til you poop girlfriend." And then she does.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think linnies are just gaining in popularity, my AV was raving about them when I took my conure in. They are really interesting! I love how mine will listen to me intently and blink their cute eyes or how careful they are about making a decision. My two are just relearning to fly, and watching their indecision is hilarious. I also really love all the colors they come in, they're so vivid. One of my boys is turquoise, which looks like that's what Howard is?

alleykt123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lana
It's unbelievable, but luckily Gigi does her massive first AM poop the same place in the cage each day, so I triple the paper towels. She doesn't come out of the cage until it happens. I can actually say it to her- "You can't come out til you poop girlfriend." And then she does.
Howard WON’T poop in his house, he has a couple of bird stands he’ll go to for his business. What a funny guy. And the noise that comes out is weird and hilarious. Serious poopage goin’ on... :lol: