• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello all! I’ve recently decided to get a green cheek conure. Looking for advice!

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Hey y’all, I’ve been doing tons of research lately and I’ve decided to get a green cheek conure. I’m in the process of contacting local breeders and getting information from them, but I thought I’d ask your thoughts on some basics.

Favorite cage for a single conure? What are some things to look out for when cage shopping?

what combination of seeds/fresh food do you use?
Any important advice??

thanks so much!

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
I have a 26x20 kings cage. I love it!! Only thing I might have done different was go bigger but at the time the bigger size wasn’t available. You have to make sure it’s big enough for the birds wing span and bars aren’t to wide that bird can get his head stuck between. A lot of people around here love flight cages good in size and cost effective.

here is a thread with cage set ups from members

This is a link for feathered estates some super cool set ups you can get ideas from

This is a list of all kinds of pellets you’ll want to feed your conure some kind of pellet

here is Mizzeleys chop recipe you can get some ideas from it!

I get most of my toys perches from AA vendors they have really high quality stuff good prices my bird loves everything I have purchased from vendors here plus you can find just about anything you need from them

hope this helps out some!

Last edited:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two of the following cage's with a cheekie in each one.

I was initially using a general seed mix when i got them both as thats what the breeder was feeding them but they have both now transitioned onto pellets.
I would ask the breeder what they are feeding there littles my breeder gave me two weeks worth of the seed he had been feeding my birds on.
I bought a similar food but transitioned onto pellets as soon as possible.

First pellets i got Mojo to eat was Harrisons high potency and Roudybush KiKi was much easier to transition as she follows Mojo i got her 4 months later.

Fresh food i give them - bell peppers,chillis,sweet peas,radish,sweetcorn,green beans,parsley,thyme.

Occasionally offer fruit sliver of grape,blueberry or some apple.

Get natural perches for whatever cage you choose.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I can second @LovieLouie s suggestions. Also, I’d say to look around at any nearby bird rescues/shelters. I’m in a college town, and students “divest” at the end of the semester.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I can second @LovieLouie s suggestions. Also, I’d say to look around at any nearby bird rescues/shelters. I’m in a college town, and students “divest” at the end of the semester.
I’ve been searching for an avian rescue near me for months but sadly it seems that there are none within a 4hr radius :/. I’ve accepted that I’ll likely have to purchase a bird from a breeder, but if I should find a rescue then I’d definitely be open to that.

birdq

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks everyone! Got a better perch and bigger cage! I plan on getting more natural perches once my favorite local pet store opens up tomorrow. This cage is WAYY bigger than the first one and even had a little play gym on top. Im in the process of cleaning/sanitizing it as it is used but hopefully soon it will have a new resident☺

Attachments