• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jennnergy

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jennifer
Hello! My name is Jennifer, and I am the usually happy owner of two conures. I have a Sun Conure named Soda Pop and a Green Cheek Conure named Guillermo. Now for birdy introductions:

Soda Pop:

This lovely lady is about 22 if I recall correctly from the band on her ankle. She is very set in her ways and only likes when things are on her terms. She has lived with members of my boyfriend's family since they got her, but mostly with my boyfriend when his housing accommodates. Ever since we moved in together I have helped care for her and she now kind of loves me. :p

Guillermo:

This little guy has lived with my sister for years. He doesn't have a band, so I have no idea how old he is. We just recently took him in at Christmas because my sister felt he needed more attention, and she wasn't capable of giving that to him. We got on great in the beginning, but he has become moody in the last few days and has taken to biting hard after perching on my finger. We are working on this, but I'm not exactly an experienced bird owner. Aside from the biting, he's a loving bird who enjoys sitting on my shoulder incessantly preening me. He's a little cuddle bug.

My background in birds consists of my sister adopting birds when we were young, realizing they were too much or getting bored, and giving them to better homes. As they weren't my birds, I never really cared to learn much. I'm mostly used to dogs, cats, and rodents of all sorts. The training is so very different with birds, I'm still working towards understanding how to enforce positive behavior. That is why I'm here. To better the lives of my adorable little feathered friends.

Hello again and I look forward to meeting all of your little guys, too!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: Beautiful Birdies :)

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:welcome2:Welcome to AA! Your two conures are beautiful. For your green cheek, it may be he's testing boundaries. They can be very testy and nippy, so you'll have to have patience with the little one. But cheekie cuddles make it all worth it! :D Can't wait to see more pictures and hear funny stories in the future :p.

Jennnergy

Real Name
Jennifer
For your green cheek, it may be he's testing boundaries.
I figured that may be it, but it was so sudden. And I have no idea how to get it in his head that that is far beyond the boundary. I don't want to put a lot of attention to it and make him think it's going to get him the attention he desires, but its not okay and its starting to draw blood. :/ he's such a good bird aside from that though.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I figured that may be it, but it was so sudden. And I have no idea how to get it in his head that that is far beyond the boundary. I don't want to put a lot of attention to it and make him think it's going to get him the attention he desires, but its not okay and its starting to draw blood. :/ he's such a good bird aside from that though.
With my personal experiences for my girl, as soon as I got her it was constant bites/nips that drew blood. But I soon noticed little traits: Where I placed my hand for her to step up, tone of voice. When I adjusted these to her comfort, she stopped drawing blood. Mind you she will still nip to let me know I'm pushing it, but hasn't drawn blood in months. You'll have to find a middle ground, where you don't go over his boundaries and make him scared. A little tip you could try, when I wanted my girl to step up I placed my finger towards her feet, but this made her bite. I found, as odd as it sounds, If you place your hand near the beak gently, the bird might step up with it's beak. It could be worth a try. Also, don't allow shoulder time as it's asking to be bit. When he becomes less "beaky", you can slowly bring it back. Overall, I'd just say give him time and try to adjust your way of going about things. Reward positive behavior often, and just simply ignore bad. Good luck :).

Last edited:

Jennnergy

Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks. I don't see a difference from when he was fine and when he started biting but I'll try some things differently. He doesn't really bite til he's already on my hand. And he seems okay then chomp. I will try to be more aware of his body language though.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Welcome! You have found the best forum and will get tonnes of support and information. Your birds are gorgeous.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Matt

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

SueA555

Real Name
Sue Anderson
Welcome! Your birds are gorgeous, and it was nice reading about their back stories, too.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Welcome, welcome!

I love Soda Pop's name! So cute and bubbly. You have a beautiful flock!