• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hello! Advice welcome!

FulloBeans

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello, everyone! I joined this group because I'm a fairly new bird owner, with a bonded pair of cockatiels and, as of yesterday, two baby budgies! My tiels are Dio and Ladybird, the white is male and the yellow is female. I have yet to name the budgies for obvious reasons.
I currently have them quarantined in their own cage as best as I can, but they're in the same room as the tiels, so they get used to our every day routine in the room we're in most of the time.
Budgies have already started chirping a bit, ate some seeds and a bit of the little treat I gave them, but they're still fairly wary of us.
Can anyone give me any ideas on how old these little guys are? My bird groups on Facebook think they're both male, and I agree with what little knowledge I have.
I'm also wondering how old they are! I assume 6 months old, max, as their bars haven't receded at all, but I could be wrong!
I'm also looking for any and all tips on finger training these little butts, as my tiels were already hand trained when I got them in October.
Thanks in advance, everyone!

NOTE: I am aware that budgies can be bullies, so I plan to get them a flight cage if needed. They will be introduced to my tiels in about a month, after they've been quarantined, and will be monitored closely. My tiels are free to come and go from the cage as they please, so the goal is to do the same with the budgies, as well, once they're hand tamed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The green budgie is 100% male. The wite one is looking female but I think a photo in better light would help us for sure.
Both look younger than 6 months, more like 4.
:welave:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

I currently have them quarantined in their own cage as best as I can, but they're in the same room as the tiels
This is not quarantine, it has been broken.
Putting them in a bedroom would have been better but it is too late now, they have been in the same airspace, so you better just hope they are not sick or carrying any infectious diseases.

I'm also looking for any and all tips on finger training
Start by offering some treats through the bars of the cages. If they are a little scared of you approaching, then just sit near the cage and talk to them until they are comfortable with you getting closer.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Hi and Welcome to the Avenue. I agree with @Ripshod, the green is male but the cere on the white one apprears lilac to me but it could just be how the photo was taken. If you could take another one in natural light it would be helpful. The are quite young I would say under 4 months. All of your birds are beautiful:)

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue! They sure are pretty birds, including your cockatiels!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Welcome to the Avenue!

Just wondering, are you planing on keeping the Budgies and the 'Tiels in the same cage? If you are, please don't because the beak difference, while small, can be fatal for your birds. Even if the 'tiels and budgies get along "perfectly," if one small thing goes wrong, one of your birds could die.

mak

They both look female to me as the males have a much deeper shade of blue, but could just be they are young.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
They both look female to me as the males have a much deeper shade of blue, but could just be they are young.
If your budgie is male, they won't start getting blue until 6 months, but they might get some purple starting at 3 months or later. Don't be tricked by female blue, it will be much lighter, and there will be a ring of white around the nostril.

@Budgiebonkers @PoukieBear

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think they are both under the age of 6 months. The most accurate gender ID will be after their first molt. I think the yellow faced green budgie is male also. Need a better photo of the other one in natural light, closer up.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hello, and welcome! :welcomeavenue:

All of your birds are gorgeous. You can find lots of training tips by going to the search box here at AA and putting in budgie taming training, etc.
Your budgies are so young! I love looking at them when they're babies, and then seeing them grow and progress.

In case these are your first budgies;
I always try to remember to tell new bird owners that budgies/parakeets hull their seeds, and the seed dish can look full when it is only empty hulls in there. Just a cautionary note to add fresh seed and water daily.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Welcome to the Avenue!

Just wondering, are you planing on keeping the Budgies and the 'Tiels in the same cage? If you are, please don't because the beak difference, while small, can be fatal for your birds. Even if the 'tiels and budgies get along "perfectly," if one small thing goes wrong, one of your birds could die.
I have to agree here. You didn't state that you would be housing them together but if that is your plan, please don't. They can co-exist outside of the cage with supervision but cockateils and budgies do not get along well enough to be housed together.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
The green budgie is 100% male. The wite one is looking female but I think a photo in better light would help us for sure.
Both look younger than 6 months, more like 4.
:welave:
I agree! I'm thinking the white one is female, but a better pic will be helpful.

Not all males will develop a blue cere, it depends on the colour muation.

mak

I agree! I'm thinking the white one is female, but a better pic will be helpful.

Not all males will develop a blue cere, it depends on the colour muation.
Really? I didn't know that! Well, that's why I'm here, to learn new things. Thanks!