• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heavy Metal Poisoning (Zinc) - sad update #28

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
EDTA will have the same affect as DMSA, it's basically to remove the heavy metal from the blood, bones, tissue, and organs. It was never meant to remove large chunks of metal. If your are seeing black in the stool, that's almost always because of serious blood loss somewhere in the digestive tract and I would rule that out immediately or treat if it is blood as that is incredibly concerning. I would stick with anything sticky that could remove the metal piece physically or find a way to remove the metal with an endoscope or surgery.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
For removing the chunk of metal you can try feeding your bird; Metamucil (but it pulls moisture out of the surrounding tissues and may leave your bird dehydrated), canned pumpkin - the kind that is only pumpkin and water, or large doses of Almond butter (no sugar and no salt.) All three have the propensity to push solid stuff through the digestive system. Metamucil is Psyllium fibers. These items can also be used; "(e.g., lactulose, mineral oil, barium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, or psyllium) " Lead and Zinc Toxicity in Birds | Today's Veterinary Practice

Duckie2152

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm just finding this file & this is my first post. I'm very curious to hear how Kiwi's situation turned out. A week after adopting my own parrotlet, I discovered he has zinc toxicity & several pieces of metal in him on xray. The vets think he had it when I adopted him. I've treated w/ the calcium/edta injections, gave metamucil, lactulose, and peanut butter but the metal is still there on xray and his zinc blood levels are still elevated. Otherwise his bloodwork was normal, thankfully. Due to national backorder of calcium/edta we are now treating orally w/ DMSA for 20 days (we're on day 3 of 20). He has periods where he seems to feel normal and plays but then goes back to being quiet or sleepy. His appetite is ok and his poop is normal. I guess I'm just looking for additional advice or support or hope - particularly from Kiwi's family since Kiwi is also a parrotlet that wasn't a surgical candidate. Was Kiwi ever able to pass the metal? If so, what was the best fiber source that aided the passing of the metal? Did the metal eventually shrink in size? Or, Is Kiwi still dealing with chelation therapy? Does long term intermittent chelation therapy affect quality of life? Thank you for any insight

Attachments

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm just finding this file & this is my first post.
Welcome to the forum, I hope you get answers to your questions and your little one is ok. What's their name?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum @Duckie2152.

I am very sorry to read that your little parrotlet is unwell. They are so hard to treat, because they are so small. Thank you for working with your vet and being a caring bird owner. I hope your little one gets through as smoothly as possible.

:bighug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I'm just finding this file & this is my first post. I'm very curious to hear how Kiwi's situation turned out.
I just wanted to let you know that this member has not logged in in the last month so you may not receive a reply.

Duckie2152

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you for the welcome & the comments. My fella doesn't have an official name yet - open to suggestions. We were thinking a name in the metal family because I'm always telling him to go poop so I can dig thru it looking for metal pieces, lol. If anyone else in the group has any experience with zinc toxicity, I welcome any knowledge & experience you can share. I did also read thru Kiwi the lovebirds story. Hoping all these little ones had positive outcomes.

HRM

Moving in
I'm just finding this file & this is my first post. I'm very curious to hear how Kiwi's situation turned out. A week after adopting my own parrotlet, I discovered he has zinc toxicity & several pieces of metal in him on xray. The vets think he had it when I adopted him. I've treated w/ the calcium/edta injections, gave metamucil, lactulose, and peanut butter but the metal is still there on xray and his zinc blood levels are still elevated. Otherwise his bloodwork was normal, thankfully. Due to national backorder of calcium/edta we are now treating orally w/ DMSA for 20 days (we're on day 3 of 20). He has periods where he seems to feel normal and plays but then goes back to being quiet or sleepy. His appetite is ok and his poop is normal. I guess I'm just looking for additional advice or support or hope - particularly from Kiwi's family since Kiwi is also a parrotlet that wasn't a surgical candidate. Was Kiwi ever able to pass the metal? If so, what was the best fiber source that aided the passing of the metal? Did the metal eventually shrink in size? Or, Is Kiwi still dealing with chelation therapy? Does long term intermittent chelation therapy affect quality of life? Thank you for any insight
Hi,
I am so sorry to hear about your parrotlet. Unfortunately, Kiwi passed away yesterday. She wasn't able to pass the metal and it didn't really shrink in size. We did a combination of dmsa and edta. We wouldn't do edta for more than 3 days (6 injections) since we read it could impact her kidneys. We would switch to edta when we felt like she was off based on her balance. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm very sorry for your loss @HRM

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm so sorry for your loss of Kiwi @HRM -- it's obvious she was loved.

Reactions: HRM

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@HRM I am so sorry for your loss
:sadhug:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks.. she spent the whole night in my hand, with her face near my nose and woke up to have breakfast, kept holding my finger... she was the best thing in my life and I really hope that I didn't fail her :(
I'm so very sorry for your loss of your sweet girl. You most certainly didn't fail her! She was clearly loved and cherished and she loved you so much. Take comfort in your special memories of her. :sadhug:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry you lost her but she was with you to the end knowing she was safe and loved so you gave that to her :sadhug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, no! I'm so sorry to read this! She knew she was loved and adored!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran