• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heated Blankets??

Lunar_Eclipse

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello!! I'm new here but i need some information from people who know what they're doing :) I recently got a heated blanket for myself, as my room is cold. My Cockatiel has his own bird warmer, so he's okay. However, i've been reading that heated blankets have teflon on the wires. Is it safe to use?
Thanks!

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
I would call the manufacturer and ask, that's pretty much the only way to "know know"

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello!! I'm new here but i need some information from people who know what they're doing :) I recently got a heated blanket for myself, as my room is cold. My Cockatiel has his own bird warmer, so he's okay. However, i've been reading that heated blankets have teflon on the wires. Is it safe to use?
Thanks!
Logic says it's fine because in order for any Teflon in an electric blanket to be a danger it would need to reach a temperature of close to 600 degrees before it starts to off gas.

"If" by the slightest chance that blanket ever reached that temperature you would be calling the fire department because that blanket, and probably your house would be in flames.

Perriewinkle

Logic says it's fine because in order for any Teflon in an electric blanket to be a danger it would need to reach a temperature of close to 600 degrees before it starts to off gas.

"If" by the slightest chance that blanket ever reached that temperature you would be calling the fire department because that blanket, and probably your house would be in flames.
my logic button doesn't work very well, can you fix it? thank you. =)

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
It is not just a high heat but lower temps that can affect Teflon from my understanding.

A couple of years ago I was shopping for a pasta maker. The one I liked was made in Italy and I learned there was a new model of it being made. The new model did not have that coating on the rollers, keeping in mind that no way was it even heated, it was on the rollers itself yet that country has banned it to that extent. I made sure I got one of the new stock as I will not knowingly have that stuff in my house and for me, no, I would not use a heated blanket with that stuff on it.

Back in the 50's, 60's, 70's you really did not see all these kids with asthma. I question with all the use of Teflon coated pots and pans, if there is not a connection between the two.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It is not just a high heat but lower temps that can affect Teflon from my understanding.

You may need to do a little more research. The melting point of Teflon is 350c (662F) It starts to off gas at around 500F. Low temperatures do not affect it. And yes it's still a product every human should steer clear of.