• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heat

AntonioDel

Checking out the neighborhood
Californians and Arizonians, would a bird room have to be specially temperature controlled, so it doesn't fluctuate or doesn't get too hot? How would I do that?
If I had a huge bird aviary outside, would I need to put it in partial shade? I have a ton of jujube trees and longan trees out, and places for direct sunlight as well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Arizona here. Nothing can stand the direct sun of Arizona. It gets up to 110f (and above now and then) that is not tolerable. They must be in the shade and preferably with some kind of cooling Where I live in AZ it gets below zero at times and consistently below 32 in the winter.

@BrianB

AntonioDel

Checking out the neighborhood
Arizona here. Nothing can stand the direct sun of Arizona. It gets up to 110f (and above now and then) that is not tolerable. They must be in the shade and preferably with some kind of cooling Where I live in AZ it gets below zero at times and consistently below 32 in the winter.

@BrianB
Okay when I get the aviary should it be mostly shaded with a few patches of sunlight through the trees so they can stay warm or would half sunlight half shade be better so they can choose between extremities. I could include a bathing dish as well.
In calfornia, it doesn't get cold, just chilly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
IMO half in and half out would be best, for those days that they want to bask in the sun. In the shade they will get enough sunlight for their vitamin D needs.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had my Conures partially under the roof of the house with a misting system on them during the summer. The macaws are fully under the roof of the patio. The underside of the patio roof hits 130 degrees during the summer. A misting system just isn’t going to be enough so I put a portable evaporative cooler on them. Anything you keep outside is going to need shade and cooling. One of those alone just isn’t enough.
We plan on converting our patio to an enclosed room. With a split system ac/heat pump we can keep it in the 80’s during the summer and the low 70’s during the winter and not have them stressed by the summer heat.