• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Heat lamps and parrots

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
So I don’t have a bird yet, but am getting one very soon. I’m currently preparing my room for the new arrival and have hit a roadblock. I own a Russian tortoise, he’s lived in my room for about 8 years now. He lives in a tortoise table, not a vivarium, so his heat lamp is out in the open and uncovered. Moving the tortoise outside or to another room isn’t an option, and for the time being I can’t upgrade him to a vivarium. How should I keep my lovebird safe when free flying around my room? If the bird were to land on the lamp its feet would be badly burned. Should I just turn the lamp off when the bird is out? Or is there some way to cover up the lamp? Thanks in advance!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If the bird were to land on the lamp its feet would be badly burned. Should I just turn the lamp off when the bird is out?
You would also have to consider the cool down period. If you were going to switch it off for a little while, could you just remove it from the room?
Also, beware of PTFE/PTOA (teflon)

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
I could have the tortoise free roam in another room and take the lamp with it, would that work do you think? As for teflon, the lamp is ceramic and aluminium so I think I’m safe on that front.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd probably have the bird in a different room than the light, with no access to the lamp if possible. That would be the simplest and safest solution.

Snickerdoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Evelyn
I'd probably have the bird in a different room than the light, with no access to the lamp if possible. That would be the simplest and safest solution.
In an ideal situation that’s what I’d do, but my parents have specified that the bird can’t be kept downstairs and there’s no space for the bird upstairs other than my room. Ditto for the tortoise. I’d move it outside if I could, but in Ireland the weather is only nice enough for my tortoise for about 2 months in the year.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
9F286903-4B1F-432D-9EEE-B56C1302C60D.jpeg

i only use it after everyone is in their cage at night.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Put it inside a cage, or under a table, or somehow block it so that it can't be landed on while your tortoise still has access. Then make sure to give your bird plenty of better options - boings etc, particularly from the ceiling, so that the lamp isn't even on the radar for choice landing

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I personally would take the tortoise and heat lamp to another room if possible. Is it a heat bulb or is it a ceramic heat emitter? Another option is to get a larger dome (maybe like 12 inches) and suspending it above the tortoise table. I have a large enough dome on my ceramic heat emitter for my gecko that i don't really worry since I'm sure you know the dome doesnt really heat up. Be cautious. Give the bird plenty of perching locations.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I don't think it would be fair on the tortoise to turn off it's light for a few hours everyday to let your lovebird out. In the ideal situation, they would be able to live in totally seperate rooms. That being said, my musk turtle, Kasnana and my parrotlets are in my room together.

In regards to the temperature of him/her landing on it a mesh covering if nothing else would be good. They are called heat guards